Chameleon only shows interest in Superworms!!

I’m super happy you came to this forum; welcome!!! Just want to add my two cents worth: your supplement schedule is less than ideal. Until you’re better versed on supplementation regimes, using something like ‘repashy calcium plus LoD’ to dust your feeders at every feeding is a far better measure than the supplement regime you’ve described. Absolutely not trying to be a d$Ck, but using a multivitamin like herptivite twice a week is too much.

It’s cool I’m just new to this I’m glad it only been this long to I’m learning a lot.

But I just fixed his basking spot now the top is reading 85-90. Humidity in the 60’s.

Definitely need to get this supplement scheduled down.

Thank you! I have to get the supplement schedule down I’ll make the changes.

You are so welcome! We are happy to have you please let us know if you have any more questions! Take a look at the enclosure threads on this site for when you upgrade cages. One of my favorite parts of keeping a chameleon is the little jungles we get to make. If you have the money I also highly suggest an automated mister. It's a real saver if you ever want to go out of town and gave someone check in on your chameleon without having to ask "hey could you go there super early and kind of late and hand mist this cage for 5 minutes?"

:)

You are so welcome! We are happy to have you please let us know if you have any more questions! Take a look at the enclosure threads on this site for when you upgrade cages. One of my favorite parts of keeping a chameleon is the little jungles we get to make. If you have the money I also highly suggest an automated mister. It's a real saver if you ever want to go out of town and gave someone check in on your chameleon without having to ask "hey could you go there super early and kind of late and hand mist this cage for 5 minutes?"

:)

This is very true.

My chameleon ignored all other food items pretty much once I introduced him to superworms. I was a sucker and gave in and fed him one too many -- he is now a bit chubby and had a bad calcium to phosphorus ratio. Superworms are loaded with phosphorus and most powder supplements will not stick to them so you really cant even balance it out, feeding too many will quickly disrupt the Cal : phos ratio which can lead to health problems. I agree with the advice already given, avoid them entirely. I am now working on getting my boy to eat dubia roaches and other healthier feeders. Also have him on oral calcium glubionate to get his calcium to phosphorus ratio back to a healthy level.

Last edited:
Did you raise the light or lower the branch? I meant the branch itself it to high. There’s like maybe a cm of space in between his back and the top screen. At least it looks like it in the pic.

I put the original bulb back in with was only a 60 watt light an not power sun from the Chameleon kit.

Your right though I will have to lower the branch. He has grow a lot in the time I’ve had him Almost two months I didn’t even think being so focused on his diet. I will definitely lower it about an Inch or two.

My chameleon ignored all other food items pretty much once I introduced him to superworms. I was a sucker and gave in and fed him one too many -- he is now a bit chubby and had a bad calcium to phosphorus ratio. Superworms are loaded with phosphorus and most powered supplements will not stick to them. I agree with the advice already given, avoid them entirely. I am now working on getting my boy to eat dubia roaches and other healthier feeders. Also have him on oral calcium glubionate to get his calcium to phosphorus ratio back to a healthy level.

I will make these changes tomorrow! I have roaches, meal worms, wax worms I’ll be tougher on him an what he eats. His check up is in 3 weeks.

These are very helpful too. The resource section of these forums has a LOT of good information!

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 58
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 59
Saw your humidity readings, are you reading the hydrometer from inside the cage? If water touches them they will be very distorted. I'm guessing that is why your readings are so high. If you had humidity that high in a screen cage, which would then mean your house is pretty close to the same, you'd have mold growing on the walls and water damage over time.

Temperatures down to 50 at night are fine.

Don't bother with mealworms or waxworms, same case as superworms. Stick with roaches and crickets as the staple and then introduce other things like shown in the pictures people posted(much of the info in those gutload/feeder pictures I contributed, so you can trust they're pretty accurate :ROFLMAO:)

Saw your humidity readings, are you reading the hydrometer from inside the cage? If water touches them they will be very distorted. I'm guessing that is why your readings are so high. If you had humidity that high in a screen cage, which would then mean your house is pretty close to the same, you'd have mold growing on the walls and water damage over time.

Temperatures down to 50 at night are fine.

Don't bother with mealworms or waxworms, same case as superworms. Stick with roaches and crickets as the staple and then introduce other things like shown in the pictures people posted(much of the info in those gutload/feeder pictures I contributed, so you can trust they're pretty accurate :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom