Chameleon obsessed with metal rivet?

StephDay

For the last three or so days, my female Jacksons has been OBSESSING over two small metal rivets that are a part of the lower maintenance door. I caught her straight up trying to rip it off one day, so I moved her and covered it so she can't see it or access it anymore. She is continually circling the tupperware lid I used to cover it, becuase apparently chameleons have object permanence. I would not have guessed that! In her quest to get to it she discovered the other one today, and same thing. She is trying to bite it and eat it. I covered that one as well. Still, 90% of her time is spent wandering the screen cage near the rivets trying to get them. She's hardly eating and has become a little dehydrated.

I'm not sure what to do! They are part of the system that allows the door to pivot, so they are not screws, they are small rivets. They cannot be removed as far as I can tell. They are completely covered and she can't get them.

I'm at a loss here! Any ideas?

Yeah, maybe its time to try some hornworms for the first time. Distraction + Food + Water. I tried a roach today for the first time and she wanted nothing to do with it, but I didn't try for very long.

She more or less hates me, so handling her is not her favorite. I thought if I kept moving her back to the top of the enclosure she would decide going down there wasn't that fun. Apparently she has object permanence but doesn't associate moving to a certain area with unfavorable handling. How interesting!

I dont think so, the rivet is smaller than a pencil eraser with a hole in the middle, and she cannot even see it anymore. But I appreciate you thinking outside the box!

Back
Top Bottom