Chameleon obesity

Lexi Bond

I was recently told that my chameleon is obese. Now I’m very concerned about my pets health and scared of his quality of life. I thought I fed Shelley properly, but now I doubt it. He eats around 2-3 times a week, 5-6 crickets a day. Sometimes I feed him tobacco hornworms.
I will be very grateful if you could give me some advice.
37631D9F-D96B-4316-B658-44E9DE82A5A4.jpeg
9EA01705-CDAD-4313-B080-EC65D97E89C0.png
EB98AFC8-630D-4A4D-B05D-03C14CF0BEA8.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

If he's a little chunk, IDT it's by much (I'm seeing indications both ways).
I have a beardie who's gotten overweight—it can sneak up on you. I've had him on a diet, and it seems to be working, albeit slowly (which is probably better than a crash-diet).

Can you just cut him down by a cricket or two each feeding? How often is "sometimes" with the horn worms?

Hornworms are pretty low in fat, but here's a chart with nutritional info for various insect feeders that may give you some ideas. Below that is a feeder chart specifically for chameleons.
1644088043598.png

1644088397866.png

Just in case, it wouldn't hurt to have your enclosure reviewed, as I can see a couple issues from the pics. Copy/paste the questionnaire from https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ with your own answers filled in (in bold, italic, or a color for clarity). Please include pics of the enclosure from the top (showing lighting) to bottom (floor/substrate). ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom