Chameleon not eating! What to do?

KevinN1

Hello everyone, my 3 month old panther chameleon seems pretty healthy. Since I got him he would always eat around 8-10 small crickets per day. Within the past 2 days though it seems like he's never hungry. I figured he was tired with just eating crickets, so I also tried waxworms and it seemed to have worked for a bit. But yesterday he only ate 2 waxworms and 2 crickets all day! And now this morning he's not eating at all (which is unusual compared to how he used to eat before every morning). Is there possibly something wrong? What should I do? :confused:

Could be for a couple of reasons. Hopefully he is about to shed and just doesn't feel like eating right now. :)

My Cham isn't eating. What should I do??

My Chameleon: I have a 3month old, male panther chameleon, which I've had for about a month now.
Handling: I don't handle him anymore. I used to try to hold him to get him used to me but he never seemed to like it and would try to get back into his enclosure any chance he got.
Feeding: I feed him small crickets (8-10 every morning) that I gut-load with "Fluker's Complete Cricket Diet" and recently began feeding him waxworms.
Supplements: I dust crickets in Rep-Cal's Herptivite and Calcium w/ Vitamin D.
Watering: I have a dripping system, and I mist his enclosure about 3 times per day.
Fecal Description: Usually brown with white tips. Lately, I've been seeing less droppings than before.

Cage Info: It's an all screen aluminum enclosure, 36" tall x 30" long x 18" wide.
Lighting: I'm using Zoomed's Reptisun 5.0 UVB lighting, along with two 75Watt basking bulbs.
Temperature: It always remains between 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, with lower temps at the bottom and higher temps near the top. At night it drops to the 60's but never below that.
Humidity: The enclosure is always kept at a humidity between 40-70, but is higher right after misting sessions. I also have a repti-fogger that I turn on every once in a while.
Plants: I have two live plants, both of which are "Camellia Japonica."
Placement: The enclosure sits on top of my 3-foot tall dresser in my room, away from windows or fans.
Location: I live in southern California, near the city of Long Beach.

Current Problem: Since I got my cham he's always seemed healthy. He would eat between 8-10 small crickets a day. But recently he stopped eating crickets so I introduced waxworms and he loved them. I fed him about 6 of them about two days ago. Yesterday though he only ate 2 crickets and 2 waxworms all day. And now this morning he's not eating at all like he usually does. I'm worried there may be problem. If so, what could it be, and what should I do?

Thank you for the link. I filled it out and reposted my thread. :)

your welcome :) I am sure it wont be long before someone can give you some advice - I know it can be really scary when they change their behavior for no apparent reason - I would be sure he is getting enough to drink - but w/ a dripper I would think he is - also keep an eye to make sure he is pooping - and hopefully its just a shed coming one like the other member stated :) hang in there , there are many ppl who are here to help you :D

Unfortunately, no :(
I was gone all morning and when I got back home I found him laying down in the same spot he was before I left, and I noticed that his belly had a white coloration to it. I picked him up and let him wander around outside for a few minutes and now his coloration looks normal. He's still not eating anything though..

Could you post a picture or two of your cham? It can sometimes help us see if there is anything to be concerned with.

So here are some pics of my little guy whom I've named Yoshi :D
Today has been somewhat successful since he's finally eaten again, but only 2 small crickets :(
Can chameleons be full for multiple days? I can't help but feel that I may have overfed him when I gave him six waxworms in one sitting..

yoshi3.jpg

yoshi2.jpg

yoshi1.jpg

What do you mean LAYING in the same spot?

I use phos free calcium at most feedings and only use the one with D3 twice a month...and the vitamin powder twice a month. What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

What do you mean LAYING in the same spot?

I use phos free calcium at most feedings and only use the one with D3 twice a month...and the vitamin powder twice a month. What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

@kinyonga he mentioned what he gutloaded the insects with below:

My Chameleon: I have a 3month old, male panther chameleon, which I've had for about a month now.
Handling: I don't handle him anymore. I used to try to hold him to get him used to me but he never seemed to like it and would try to get back into his enclosure any chance he got.
Feeding: I feed him small crickets (8-10 every morning) that I gut-load with "Fluker's Complete Cricket Diet" and recently began feeding him waxworms.
Supplements: I dust crickets in Rep-Cal's Herptivite and Calcium w/ Vitamin D.
Watering: I have a dripping system, and I mist his enclosure about 3 times per day.
Fecal Description: Usually brown with white tips. Lately, I've been seeing less droppings than before.

Cage Info: It's an all screen aluminum enclosure, 36" tall x 30" long x 18" wide.
Lighting: I'm using Zoomed's Reptisun 5.0 UVB lighting, along with two 75Watt basking bulbs.
Temperature: It always remains between 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, with lower temps at the bottom and higher temps near the top. At night it drops to the 60's but never below that.
Humidity: The enclosure is always kept at a humidity between 40-70, but is higher right after misting sessions. I also have a repti-fogger that I turn on every once in a while.
Plants: I have two live plants, both of which are "Camellia Japonica."
Placement: The enclosure sits on top of my 3-foot tall dresser in my room, away from windows or fans.
Location: I live in southern California, near the city of Long Beach.

Current Problem: Since I got my cham he's always seemed healthy. He would eat between 8-10 small crickets a day. But recently he stopped eating crickets so I introduced waxworms and he loved them. I fed him about 6 of them about two days ago. Yesterday though he only ate 2 crickets and 2 waxworms all day. And now this morning he's not eating at all like he usually does. I'm worried there may be problem. If so, what could it be, and what should I do?

Well, yesterday I was gone all morning and didn't get home until the afternoon. Before I left he was just lying down on a branch, and when I got home he was in the exact same spot as if he hadn't moved the entire time. Luckily he's been more active today. He's been exploring his enclosure and even ate a few crickets. I gutload the crickets with "Fluker's Orange Cube Complete Cricket Diet" and I dust them with Rep-Cal's Herptivite and Calcium with Vitamin D every other day.

Oops! Better have my old eyes checked again! :)

You can feed/gutload your insects (crickets, roaches, superworms, locusts) with a wide assortment of greens and veggies. And I still recommend the dusting as I described.

My old chameleon as well as my new one seem to slow down and rest more a few days before a shed...Also, their skin looks like a wrinkly old woman's. lol. That's the only way I can describe it. lol. Maybe an extra misting here and there will help if it is just a shed...Keeps us updated...

How often to baby panthers shed? I ask because he just shed between 2-3 weeks ago so I don't think it's that, but I could be wrong. The last time he shed he didn't refuse to eat though, which is why it strikes me as odd that he refuses to eat now.

I have never owned a panther. Only veileds but I remember both of mine shedding even as much as every 2 weeks when they were little(under 6months) and then maybe every month or two when they are full grown (over 1-1 1/2 years).

I see. Then you may be right. I'll be sure to watch him closely and mist more often if he begins to shed :) Good news today though! My little buddy finally ate again. I hand fed him a few small crickets this morning and everything is seemingly normal (for now at least). I appreciate everyone's input! :D

Back
Top Bottom