Chameleon not eating much

Tiana

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male, Blue Bar Ambilobe panther chameleon, not 100% sure on the age,
Handling - Every two days or so
Feeding -Crickets, horn worms, meal worms, and Phoenix worms. gutloaded with apples, carrots, celery, cricket gel and calcium cricket food.
Supplements - 1 month schedule: Calcium daily, calcium with d3 every two weeks, multivitamins every two weeks (when not using d3)
Watering - misting for 30 seconds every hour

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptibreeze with insulation on 3 sides. 18x18x36
Lighting - one reptiglow 2.0 UVB and one reptiglow 5.0 UVB
Temperature - measured with instant read thermometer - 71-81 ambient, basking spot at around 86. Using two 100 watt bulbs.
Humidity - Humidity is at around 45 in the time between the misting and 70 during/immediately after misting.
Plants - 2 pachira money trees and one croton.
Placement - terrarium is in the corner of a my room next to a window. about 4 feet tall including stand.
Location - California

Walter isn't eating much and is looking on the skinny side. He has been closing one eye and puffing it out. I have only noticed this recently though - within the past two hours. He is also scratching his face on the branches. I think he may be starting to shed but I'm very worried!! are there any behavioral changes/change of appetite that come with shedding?

Most of the time, when they are rubbing, it means they are shedding. It could also mean he is trying to get something out of his eye. My chams do this for two reasons...
1) Too much water got in their eyes.
2) They are shedding.

Also trying feeding a variety of insects. don't just stick to one type of feeder. Sometimes reptiles get bored with what they are eating if they are eating only one type of food and go on hunger strikes. So mix it up

That's an awful lot of light you have going on there especially in a cage that size. You really should only have one uvb(5.0) and one basking bulb. If you are going to use two to brighten up the cage, I would not use 100 watt bulbs in both basking spots. It sounds like all the lights in the cage may be irritating his eyes. Are you sure of the temps? What are you measuring them with? Are you misting at night?

That's an awful lot of light you have going on there especially in a cage that size. You really should only have one uvb(5.0) and one basking bulb. If you are going to use two to brighten up the cage, I would not use 100 watt bulbs in both basking spots. It sounds like all the lights in the cage may be irritating his eyes. Are you sure of the temps? What are you measuring them with? Are you misting at night?

I agree. artificial light can be bad if there is to much of it. if your worried that there is to little light after that give him real light, he cant get to much of that.

Back
Top Bottom