Chameleon Love

mardithepanther

Chameleons are beautiful, excellent, and loveable! they arent furniture for the living room or just some conversation piece. They are not merely objects but wonderful creatures. I highly suggest chameleons to capable and responsiblepeople. DO YOUR FREAKING RESEARCH!!!! way too many people(who actually bother) come on to the forums and say " I have a two inch by two inch glass cage with no uvb and my cham isnt moving for some reason??" Research it before you kill it. I LOVE loving my cham and take pride in his growing up mile stones and healthiness. I am always looking to better my chameleons life and all of my other pets aswell. IMO You have to be devoted to the welfare of your pets. Like I think baby tigers are cool. Am i gonna get one? people dont just have kids without knowing what they eat or what their basic husbandry is. I am a begginer and need some help now and then but im not asking "wait....what supplementing? Do chameleons need food and water?" I love my Mardi and I wouldnt trade him for anything in the world! except for maybe two of him. ;) Chams 4 lyfe!!!!!

AAAAHHHH they are mad addicting. My favorite is no matter what you do theyll never truly like you. Deep down there basically saying F*** you.

They should definetly be more strict on getting chameleon though. When i first got mine I did a bunch of research and was expecting a little quiz or something before I got my lil girl.
But all they said was "umm do you have a cage?""

they care more about money. I accidentally picked up a 10.0 uvb light when i bought my cham and they let me get it untill i realised it wasnt 5.0

True but they got to circulate it somehow, unless there would be a lot of out of business breeders. Im using a 10.0 I jst elevated it about a foot/foot in ahalf to compensate.

I say, as long as they are on here trying to do the best for their Cham whether they have the wrong supplies or not, they have my respect. They are making the first and correct step to come here and ask us for our help and opinions. :) If they are willing to make the changes to care for their chams, they are all right in my book. :D

I say, as long as they are on here trying to do the best for their Cham whether they have the wrong supplies or not, they have my respect. They are making the first and correct step to come here and ask us for our help and opinions. :) If they are willing to make the changes to care for their chams, they are all right in my book. :D

what about the ones who come on here with only one post asking why wont their cham move? asking questions that should have been found out earlier and is now too late and has killed or seriously injured a cham? But still make a cham suffer through neglect all the same....

what about the ones who come on here with only one post asking why wont their cham move? asking questions that should have been found out earlier and is now too late and has killed or seriously injured a cham? But still make a cham suffer through neglect all the same....

Oh yeah, I totally agree. They should do their research right off the bat. Sad thing about it is that not everyone does so all we can do is try and do our best to help the Chammies out without judging the person or people. :)

I agree with that completely. In the very begginning when I got my account iasked a very noob question in a very noob way because i had no clue that you could get a reputation on here. I set off some bomb shells for sure. started very heated arguments(i wasnt involved in). I think you should help the best you can without making them feel like crap. https://www.chameleonforums.com/time-breed-51568/ yikes!

I agree with that completely. In the very begginning when I got my account iasked a very noob question in a very noob way because i had no clue that you could get a reputation on here. I set off some bomb shells for sure. started very heated arguments(i wasnt involved in). I think you should help the best you can without making them feel like crap.

Yes exactly, like you and of course all of us I also (when I look back at my old threads) asked some "stupid" questions. I also felt bombarded and really felt like throwing my hands up and giving up because of it but I didn't. I try to be VERY nice to all of our new members (I am one myself) so not to spook them off. Lol! Sometimes you have to bite your tongue or in our case bite our fingers and be respectful. :rolleyes: BUT in the end, we need to remember that the person behind the computer is the one who has the little guy or girl in their hands. All for the CHAMMIES! :D

I suspect most of us got our first chameleon before we had the proper knowledge. Those that prepare for their first chameleon months in advance are rare.

While I appreciate the sentiment of the original post, as long as the owner is willing to do the work involved with keeping that "work of art" healthy and beautiful, that will be enough for the chameleon.

I think it's just fine to keep a chameleon as "room decor" as long as it's done correctly with the health of the animal in mind. Like a fine work of art that requires special temperature and humidity to preserve it. A chameleon is like a DaVinci....you don't take it out and pass it among your friends for their amusement, you keep it in it's safe, healthy enclosure and your friends observe it from afar.

Last edited:
haha. i am another victim to the addiction. started with one. now im up to 3 and 13 eggs. lol. so addicting. however i did months of researching online, talking to different reptile stores, and talking to other people. but we dont all know everything so when a question comes up that we dont know, we should be able to ask it without feeling stupid. afterall we are all on here with the same objective so work as a team

I suspect most of us got our first chameleon before we had the proper knowledge. Those that prepare for their first chameleon months in advance are rare.

While I appreciate the sentiment of the original post, as long as the owner is willing to do the work involved with keeping that "work of art" healthy and beautiful, that will be enough for the chameleon.

I think it's just fine to keep a chameleon as "room decor" as long as it's done correctly with the health of the animal in mind. Like a fine work of art that requires special temperature and humidity to preserve it. A chameleon is like a DaVinci....you don't take it out and pass it among your friends for their amusement, you keep it in it's safe, healthy enclosure and your friends observe it from afar.

chameleons can make excellent room decor. But I Dont think thats what we should view them as. you know what im saying?

I did two months of research and wrote down a binder full of little notes and cage designs and prices. I passed the binder on to my friend who im trying to get on here. He got an abandoned 2 year old veiled and needs a bunch of help.

chameleons can make excellent room decor. But I Dont think thats what we should view them as. you know what im saying?

I did two months of research and wrote down a binder full of little notes and cage designs and prices. I passed the binder on to my friend who im trying to get on here. He got an abandoned 2 year old veiled and needs a bunch of help.

One of the analogies I heard a lot when I was first thinking about a chameleon is "you don't take your fish out and pet them".

Fish are largely, room decor. However, a dedicated owner cares for them and protects them and even takes them to experts when they are ill.

Just as you would a prized piece of artwork

Or a chameleon.

You can go either way, I don't care. If you want to take your chameleon out daily and kiss it, I'll support you. If you never want to touch your chameleon, I'll support you. As long as you provide it the proper care, either is fine. The chameleon will not care if it doesn't get touched and kissed.

I'm so glad you posted this and I totally agree. I like that people post here with the questions and advice, but it really makes me sick to my belly when they don't listen to a word that is said. "But it's been this way for a year, and he's been fine until now, so it can't be that." I don't think alot of people don't realize reptiles will take it until they absolutely can't anymore. I bought my first cham 11 years ago and can't tell you how many things I did wrong, but even then before the net was so popular, I went to the library and got every book I could find and read it, which wasn't much in this area.
And as for milestones and getting excited, I measured my little Cali girl today and she has grown 2.5 inches since Christmas eve, I was so excited! She is a 5 month old Veiled.

One of the analogies I heard a lot when I was first thinking about a chameleon is "you don't take your fish out and pet them".

Fish are largely, room decor. However, a dedicated owner cares for them and protects them and even takes them to experts when they are ill.

Just as you would a prized piece of artwork

Or a chameleon.

You can go either way, I don't care. If you want to take your chameleon out daily and kiss it, I'll support you. If you never want to touch your chameleon, I'll support you. As long as you provide it the proper care, either is fine. The chameleon will not care if it doesn't get touched and kissed.

I know what you mean. what im basically trying to say is love your cham. Dont get one just to get ooos and aaaahhs and not know how to take care of it.

I asked some seemingly obvious questions, then graduated to to more specific questions, did tons of research, and now I know enough about my Cham. and his setup to give him a happy comfortable home without having to spend much money, I built my own cage, I built my own dripper, and I grew my own plants. obviously there will be expenses if you want an automatic mister, and you need to pay for the UV light, but for a beginner chameleon owner, i'm doing pretty well without spending much money!

Hello,
I'm new to the forums, my names Jose. I look forward to talking and learning from everyone on here. I'm planning on becoming a proud chameleon owner in a month or so. I have recently become quite obsessed with cams and have bought multiple items already. I WILL be asking noob questions lol, so I'm warning everyone in advance. For everyone who will give me some advice in the future, thanks in advance. :D

My girlfriend owns a Veiled chameleon and I help her take care of that little beauty. Im debating on what species i can make my own, after all the right preparations of course. Any pointers? I dont wanna jump in to something to difficult, but I do know the basic stuff for caring for a chameleon (Cage,Temp,Humidity,etc.)

I asked some seemingly obvious questions, then graduated to to more specific questions, did tons of research, and now I know enough about my Cham. and his setup to give him a happy comfortable home without having to spend much money, I built my own cage, I built my own dripper, and I grew my own plants. obviously there will be expenses if you want an automatic mister, and you need to pay for the UV light, but for a beginner chameleon owner, i'm doing pretty well without spending much money!

Any pointers you could pass down to me?

Back
Top Bottom