Chameleon lighting

Jc555

Hi ive had my chameleon for 5 months now about and i have a q and its basically about a month ago ironically both my basking bulbs bursted (2 light bulb setup), and i went to my local pet store and ironically there was only one there so i just said one will have to do, so it has done just fine rather than 2 but today that one has burst and i just am wondering if i should use two or one, it gets very hot in the room he is in (83+ degrees with no heat added, and he has a uvb 5.0 long bulb in there already), obviously during the winter he will have 2 because it gets pretty cold, but during this time i kinda think one is the better option? just asking here for advice/confirmation. Thanks.

Sounds like you need a new light fixture if the bulbs keep bursting like that.

If the room is that warm you probably only need a lower watt single bulb just for basking. What's your basking temp?

My wife would kill me if our house was 83 degrees all the time. My house is around 75 and I only use a standard house 65w flood for basking and his spot is around mid to high 80s .I can't imagine what yours gets up to. The UVB bulb doesn't put off much heat so don't take that into account for your basking but you should have an idea of the temp at the basking spot.

Fill this out so we can get a better anap shot of what your working with.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

You shouldn't need 2 bulbs anytime unless its a huge cage. A single 60 to 100 watt incandescent should be fine. Are these bust bursting as in glass is shattering? or do you just mean they burned out?

Sounds like you need a new light fixture if the bulbs keep bursting like that.

If the room is that warm you probably only need a lower watt single bulb just for basking. What's your basking temp?

My wife would kill me if our house was 83 degrees all the time. My house is around 75 and I only use a standard house 65w flood for basking and his spot is around mid to high 80s .I can't imagine what yours gets up to. The UVB bulb doesn't put off much heat so don't take that into account for your basking but you should have an idea of the temp at the basking spot.

Fill this out so we can get a better anap shot of what your working with.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

To answer everything

- its not a light fixture specific problem, this particularl bulb does not last the longest people reviewing it have said it themselves it lasts 30-60 days it is the 60W zoomed daylight blue bulb

- my room averages during this time of the year 80-84 degrees with a window and fan on lol, it is very hot he only uses one basking bulb which i havent got an exact temp on yet but i will test it, i had tested it when i first got him and used two during the early spring time and it was about 92-93 ish, so.

- Veiled cham obviously, male 5-6 months and 5 months in my care.

- Handling- Rarely to none i used to hold him once a week to every 2 weeks as a baby but he hates me now and hisses at me if i even try so really never but thats how it should be.

- I feed him every day 8 mealworms i know some people will really not be happy with that food choice but its been working just fine, he loves them and has grown a ton since i got him.

- Calcium without D3 5-6 days a week Rep Cal without phosphorus
- Multivitamins rep cal 1 day a week
- calcium with D3 once every 2-3 weeks

- Zoo med repti rain mister yes it is a piece of garbage not going to lie but is working for now mists every 3 hours for a minute will be uprgrading to a mist king soon

-Fecal: brown

- history: not anything significant im just gonna say some things that may sound a little unusual about him, he hates humans to another level i feel like more than a normal cham, and is low a lot of the time (def not injured he climbs all around the enclosure all day i think it may be from being warm)

-Screen enclosure, 18x18x36, is upgrading to a 24x24x48 soon

-lighting zoo med UVB 5.0 long bulb in its carrier, as well a single blue daylight 60W for now.

-temp not entirely sure, but basking is about 92-94, cool area is 86 about these may not be entirely accurate.

- overnight: as of now being summer, about 78 is the lowest it gets

-humidity: pretty high,60-70% constantly without spraying.

plants: none currently, will have soon though.

Enclosure location: 2 feet off the ground, near nothinf out of the ordinary

I feel like your focusing on the symptom instead of the problem here. If you are bursting multiple bulbs you need to change that fixture before you burn your house down.

Nope as i said above the bulb is not a lasting one if you recommend a better one just let me know, thanks.

You shouldn't need 2 bulbs anytime unless its a huge cage. A single 60 to 100 watt incandescent should be fine. Are these bust bursting as in glass is shattering? or do you just mean they burned out?

I originally bought the 36x18x18 chameleon starter enclosure and it came with a multi bulb carrier so ive used two, but one now since its pretty hot, they are burned out quick used bulbs as i said they dont last long above, recommend any better bulb if so.

I feel like your focusing on the symptom instead of the problem here. If you are bursting multiple bulbs you need to change that fixture before you burn your house down.
Or he needs to stop misting the lamp. :ROFLMAO:

Getting 2 lamps (next to eachother) is nice of you have larger aimals because you can create a bigger hotspot where he can fit his whole body under. Your average chameleon will do well under 1 spot as it's small enough to fit most his body under it for basking.

I'd get a single lamp in a proper fixture and raise the wattage of the lamp if that's ever needed during winter.

I originally bought the 36x18x18 chameleon starter enclosure and it came with a multi bulb carrier so ive used two, but one now since its pretty hot, they are burned out quick used bulbs as i said they dont last long above, recommend any better bulb if so.
I use the plain incandescent dollar tree bulbs. They are either 2 or 3 for $1. 75 watt works well for me. They can be hard to find, (there was an attempt by senate to make them illegal a few years back) So you may want to stock up (I have a few dozen of different wattages). Walmart carries halogen bulbs so a "75 watt" bulb is actually like 65 watts and they don't seem to transfer heat as well as their actual wattage so I avoid them. I believe in supporting local pet shops (they are a dyeing breed) but I don't buy incandescent bulbs (or chameleons) there.

BTW, you do have a florescent UVB bulb correct?

Back
Top Bottom