Chameleon Licking Random Areas???

Lukie Pookie

So today I took out my little baby chameleon to go and chill in the sun a little bit. He was on this small rubber wire I put out for him to climb on and then he licked it about once or twice, but there was no water on it. I was about to go get the spray bottle because maybe he wanted a drink, but when I put my hand near him he started hissing and flaring:eek: I heard that a chameleon licking things also has to do with them claiming territory somewhere. Is this true??

My panther does it too. Not sure if it has to do with marking their territory, or if it's some way to feel if the branch is safe.

So today I took out my little baby chameleon to go and chill in the sun a little bit. He was on this small rubber wire I put out for him to climb on and then he licked it about once or twice, but there was no water on it. I was about to go get the spray bottle because maybe he wanted a drink, but when I put my hand near him he started hissing and flaring:eek: I heard that a chameleon licking things also has to do with them claiming territory somewhere. Is this true??

I know that the males will rub their vents on branches to mark their territory, sometimes leaving sperm plugs... I believe that your cham is "tasting" or checking for these "marks". Just another way to see whose been using the branch.

Chams can use their tongues like snakes so they use it to taste and sense things. I've never heard that it means marking their territory.
Shooting his tongue at a drop of water means he's drinking!

I think they do it to test water. Similar to a snake, a cham will taste the object to see if its edible, safe, etc. Still, just to be sure I always spray down some water on the area in case hes trying to tell me...H2O!

Chams can use their tongues like snakes so they use it to taste and sense things. I've never heard that it means marking their territory.
Shooting his tongue at a drop of water means he's drinking!

They use their "other" end to mark and their tongue's to "read" the markings.

Back
Top Bottom