Chameleon licking me?!

Nico Noel

Hi...

so I’ve had my little guy for about a month and he’s really warmed up to me, or so I think... EVERY time I get him out (because he climbs on the screen of the door and will sit there until I open it and let him out) he shoots out his tongue and licks one of my fingers first. Then, after walking onto my arm & making his way up, he’ll look at my face, get close and shoot out his tongue to lick my nose. What the heck? I’ve tried researching but finding nothing and I’m very intrigued. This CANT be an affection thing as much as I wish it was so.... any thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Hi...

so I’ve had my little guy for about a month and he’s really warmed up to me, or so I think... EVERY time I get him out (because he climbs on the screen of the door and will sit there until I open it and let him out) he shoots out his tongue and licks one of my fingers first. Then, after walking onto my arm & making his way up, he’ll look at my face, get close and shoot out his tongue to lick my nose. What the heck? I’ve tried researching but finding nothing and I’m very intrigued. This CANT be an affection thing as much as I wish it was so.... any thoughts? :)

Also how do I upload a video?...

They go after eyeballs a lot so at least you dont have that going for you, yet. Maybe hes just really hungry, or you have hand fed so much that hand=food.

Edit: after watching the video, that is what i refer to as "love headbutts" or "warning shots". Thats a sign to back off or aggression, you are moving too much.

Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of chameleons! This is a funny thing they do, haha! My chameleon does the exact same thing. They think you are food, or your fingers are food. Your fingers move like worms, which makes them think your finger is a live bug, lol. 😂

I do not know how to stop this though.

Hi...

He is pissed and stressed. That is not a "oh he is so happy and loves me so much" that is fear and trying to get you to get away from him.

He is pissed and stressed. That is not a "oh he is so happy and loves me so much" that is fear and trying to get you to get away from him.
Thanks @Beman! I was curious why. I just always thought because she wanted to eat my fingers. 😂

Thanks @Beman! I was curious why. I just always thought because she wanted to eat my fingers. 😂
Going after fingers can be that they associate your hands with food. But hitting at the face is a clear back off. Opening the mouth in a gape is a sign as well that the cham is stressed and does not like what is happening.

The tongue punch, that is one way they defend themselves or chase off unwanted intruders, they seem to also like targeting the eyes. There are several articles online referencing it.

I was going to ask if mayhaps you look anything like a bug, but... nevermind.
It does look like, "Back off!"
Might also have to do with the speed at which you're moving. Chameleons move s-l-o-w-l-y.

Back
Top Bottom