Chameleon is eating less

Tbeamiss

I have a chameleon that is around 6-7 months. He use to be crazy about food. Now he turns his nose up at it. I'm lead to believe this is because of sexual maturity, as he has been dropping sperm plugs. Is this normal? He also keeps wanting to come out of the cage(maybe to find a mate) he is going to get a bigger cage at Christmas.

Has anybody got any info on this?

This is Boba and his set up

Attachments

• 16026872752428011211322376595611.jpg
    16026872752428011211322376595611.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200831_150959.jpg
    20200831_150959.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200914_104816.jpg
    20200914_104816.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200914_104821.jpg
    20200914_104821.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200914_104854.jpg
    20200914_104854.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 87
@Tbeamiss Hi there welcome to the forum. Sperm plugs are normal... Reduced eating can be normal. Your UVB however looks to be a T8 and will not produce the levels he needs. Without the reflector panel on it this reduces its effectiveness even farther.

Can you please fill out this form so we can review it for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I know the group will want 2x2x4 foot cage for him. My male cham does not eat as much and may be 8 months old.

What are you suggesting? So hes not eating as much because he needs a bigger cage. Last time I checked there was no large reptibreeze cages available. I dont have the space for an XL

@Tbeamiss Hi there welcome to the forum. Sperm plugs are normal... Reduced eating can be normal. Your UVB however looks to be a T8 and will not produce the levels he needs. Without the reflector panel on it this reduces its effectiveness even farther.

Can you please fill out this form so we can review it for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

6-7 months
Male

Temperatures are the recommended

T8 blub uvb (reptile systems d3 reptile lamp 10%uvb)

Humidity percebrage is also what is recommended.

Cage is up high on chester draws

Reptibreeze medium size (starter kit)

I am using live plants

6-7 months
Male

I am using live plants
Can you fill out the whole form with the current temps and humidity specified? What you think is recommended might not be right... We can't help you if you answer each question saying it is what's recommended...

6-7 months
Male

I am using live plants
We would love to be able to help you but we really need details on every section of the form to do so. What you may think are the correct temps and humidity may very well be incorrect. The UVB lighting needs to be replaced with a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then you want a 9 inch distance to basking with this fixture for the correct UVB levels.

Incorrect UVB, temps, supplementation all can have an effect on eating. What your feeding and how much can also play into this...

Because I can't see your entire room. Can't an XL go right where you have the existing enclosure?

• Male veiled chameleon 6-7 months

• 3 times a week for 5-10 minutes

• Feeding locusts everyday

• Calcium with out D3, nutrobal vitamins

• Dripper system in place

• Poo is normal colour and urate is white

• Cage reptibreeze starter kit

• T8 uvb reptile systems 10%, on 12 hours a day

• Misting at lunch time for 2 minutes

• Temperature basking spot 90⁰c near bottom of the cage 75⁰c

• Humidity with out misting is around 50%

• I use a live house plant which is safe for chameleons (I can't remember the name)

• Location is up high on chester draws

• I am in the Uk

We would love to be able to help you but we really need details on every section of the form to do so. What you may think are the correct temps and humidity may very well be incorrect. The UVB lighting needs to be replaced with a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% bulb and then you want a 9 inch distance to basking with this fixture for the correct UVB levels.

Incorrect UVB, temps, supplementation all can have an effect on eating. What your feeding and how much can also play into this...

• I use a live house plant which is safe for chameleons (I can't remember the name)

• I am in the Uk

• I am in the Uk

They will fill in details, there will be a few changes suggested, but it looks like you are already headed in the right direction.
In general, males do like to search and explore. And it does seem to come and go. As an adult he will need less food. And simply may have other things on his mind.
If he is eating even one or two every other day, this is ok.

I don't see any major issues with your set up. But they can be sensitive and sometimes something we see as trivial is more important to them.

Always be aware with these guys, adjust husbandry as you have said and see. Though he may eat "enough" Make sure there is not an underlying issue causing loss of apatite. Welcome to the fun.

Firstly, Thanks so much for your kind message. I am aware how when they reach around a year #chameleons dont need to be feed as much. I have done extensive research before getting this amazing animal. Secondly, I am aware of the lighting which I have plans to change with in the week. I just wanted to know if a maturing chameleon acts differently. He use to eat like a maniac but has calmed down. This has only been with in the last week or so.
I just assumed he was looking for a female

@Tbeamiss I am going to give you feedback but I have a few additional questions to ensure you get the right info.

• Male veiled chameleon 6-7 months. In the pics is he holding the mouth slightly open or is this his normal resting with the mouth not closed all the way?

• Feeding locusts everyday.. How many are you feeding?

• Calcium with out D3, nutrobal vitamins Can you post a pic of your supplements so I can make sure they have everything he needs? Along with your schedule of use.

• Cage reptibreeze starter kit.. He has outgrown this enclosure. He has to have a 2x2x4. They can become restless and stressed when they are in a cage that is too small for them.

• T8 uvb reptile systems 10%, on 12 hours a day. This needs to be switched to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0or 6% UVB bulb. You need a 9 inch distance with this fixture and the highest branch below it for him to not be over exposed or under exposed to UVB. The UVB you have is not ok for a few reasons... A 10.0 T8 he would need to get 5 inches below it but that is if it had the reflector panel to push the UVB down. This one does not. MBD is a risk with improper UVB>

• Misting at lunch time for 2 minutes.. Misting should be done prior to or after lights are off to reduce the heat in the cage when you add moisture.

• Temperature basking spot 90⁰c near bottom of the cage 75⁰c Do you mean Farenheit? 90F is too hot. At basking low 80's is best. They live longer lives when they are not exposed to higher temps.

• Humidity with out misting is around 50% Ideally your looking for 30-40% daytime and up to 100% at night. Not misting mid day when heat lamp is on will help reduce levels.

• I am in the Uk

Back
Top Bottom