Chameleon house

If they have not had it long it makes a difference. Turning around vitamin issues is just a matter of buying the correct ones. Baby looks young about 4 months old I would say. Did they get a fecal done while at the vet?

If they have not had it long it makes a difference. Turning around vitamin issues is just a matter of buying the correct ones. Baby looks young about 4 months old I would say. Did they get a fecal done while at the vet?

They’ve had him about 2 months so they got him at a very young age.

They’ve had him about 2 months so they got him at a very young age.
ok so here is my 2 cents... right now baby is not showing any visible signs of MBD from the pics you posted. I have a feeling they had no idea what they were getting into and what to provide. So basically your getting a bare bones cage and cham.

You would need asap UVB lighting. T5HO fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. Not a T8 fixture this is important that it is a T5HO.
Reptical with D3 which is multivitamin and calcium with D3 given two times a month on all feeders so every other week. Then calcium without D3 given at all other feedings.
You would want to get a fecal done which should be done anyways with any new cham you get.
You need live plants. and remove all fake ones because Veileds eat their plants. I nice umbrella would fill out that cage nicely. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
You would need other stuff as well but the above is the need right now items.

Then he/she would be eating about 12 feeders every day. No mealworms. See image at the bottom. You probably have these on hand and already gutload for your other reptiles.

Honestly it is your choice what you want to do. Should you decide to move forward we can help you with husbandry and sexing it. :)

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 64
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 62
From my expirience. My first ever cham was a 4 month old little petco girl, and it was reasonably healthy. Now for the england petco, they actually know a little bit about chameleons. The only wrong thing she had was uvb. Everything else was fine. It looks like he will develop mbd soon. It's up to you if you're up to the challenge. I would agree with @Beman that it would probably be better to start with a healthy one as a new keeper; but I understand if you want to try and help him. If you do end up buying him, this forum will cover EVERYTHING you need.

What comes with the cage? Specifically what type of lighting? If it is the dome lights with the screw in UVB that is the incorrect lighting and would have to be replaced asap. The fake plants would all have to go and be replaced with live. Is it a male or a female? Typically you want to upgrade from that size cage by the time they are 6-7 months to a 2x2x4 cage. What price are they asking?

My main concern would be the lighting and supplementation they have been giving and for how long they have been giving it.
Looks like female to me, but pictures are deceiving.

From my expirience. My first ever cham was a 4 month old little petco girl, and it was reasonably healthy. Now for the england petco, they actually know a little bit about chameleons. The only wrong thing she had was uvb. Everything else was fine. It looks like he will develop mbd soon. It's up to you if you're up to the challenge. I would agree with @Beman that it would probably be better to start with a healthy one as a new keeper; but I understand if you want to try and help him. If you do end up buying him, this forum will cover EVERYTHING you need.

Thank you. I’m kind of torn, but will see if they will come down to $150 since he will need a UVB lamp and bulb and a vet visit.

Thank you. I’m kind of torn, but will see if they will come down to $150 since he will need a UVB lamp and bulb and a vet visit.
Trust me they are desperate to off the baby... Not many people are contacting them. If they arent willing to take less then do not do it. Your going to have a lot of money going out to ensure the cham gets healthy. It is never easy to start with the cham and then try to get everything right. Trust me I have done that. But it is doable.

Trust me they are desperate to off the baby... Not many people are contacting them. If they arent willing to take less then do not do it. Your going to have a lot of money going out to ensure the cham gets healthy. It is never easy to start with the cham and then try to get everything right. Trust me I have done that. But it is doable.
I have not heard anything back yet, but I am willing to take him if they drop the price. I’m a sucker for animals...
That aside what fixture do you recommend for this bulb?

Attachments

• 96A6531B-73AC-4EFE-BF51-AA91CC839A2D.png
    96A6531B-73AC-4EFE-BF51-AA91CC839A2D.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 72
I have not heard anything back yet, but I am willing to take him if they drop the price. I’m a sucker for animals...

Do you buy off of amazon? I can put together a list for you.

Ok I can not find the right one on amazon.... You need a 24inch T5HO fixture and they appear to be out or not in the right size. Even the reptile site I order them from is out.

I have these. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html
I would order 2 and in one you would swap the bulb out for this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-6-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html
The other you would leave the daylight bulb in for plant growth.

Back
Top Bottom