Chameleon house

ariez189

Established Member
Hello everyone!

I am looking at getting a chameleon. I found a local breeder, but I am skeptical about the age. I found another one that is currently being rehomed. It is a 3-4 month old veiled. It comes with the medium size reptibreeze plus accessories. Enclosure is 16 x 16 X 30. My question is about how long would this enclosure be sufficient? The rehoming fee is a little high and am not sure how long this enclosure would work for him. Any other tips you have would be great!

74A48471-9D45-483A-9B67-8EE7CAF00B7D.jpeg

What comes with the cage? Specifically what type of lighting? If it is the dome lights with the screw in UVB that is the incorrect lighting and would have to be replaced asap. The fake plants would all have to go and be replaced with live. Is it a male or a female? Typically you want to upgrade from that size cage by the time they are 6-7 months to a 2x2x4 cage. What price are they asking?

My main concern would be the lighting and supplementation they have been giving and for how long they have been giving it.

What comes with the cage? Specifically what type of lighting? If it is the dome lights with the screw in UVB that is the incorrect lighting and would have to be replaced asap. The fake plants would all have to go and be replaced with live. Is it a male or a female? Typically you want to upgrade from that size cage by the time they are 6-7 months to a 2x2x4 cage. What price are they asking?

My main concern would be the lighting and supplementation they have been giving and for how long they have been giving it.

I agree. I just asked what lighting and stuff he comes with. They are asking $200.

I agree. I just asked what lighting and stuff he comes with. They are asking $200.

60FF69A2-E0D4-4613-BF6D-2498682D6BE7.png

Attachments

• 4B36B89B-B508-4762-9B25-D4B8B04E4741.png
    4B36B89B-B508-4762-9B25-D4B8B04E4741.png
    891.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 4D3E00B7-D7A2-4C17-BBCC-31573B7C7D9B.png
    4D3E00B7-D7A2-4C17-BBCC-31573B7C7D9B.png
    949.9 KB · Views: 87
So $200 is what you would pay if you bought everything they are giving you and a cham from petco/petsmart.

So the issue is how long has the baby been under the incorrect uvb lighting? Chams can develop something called MBD from the incorrect UVB lighting. This is where the calcium is literally sucked from their bones making them brittle and very breakable. Often they will develop permanent signs of it with bowing to the limbs. I do not see any physical signs in baby yet.

Ask how long they have had it and what supplements they use. Also FYI in case you do not know if this is a female they lay infertile eggs. easiest way to tell is if it has a tarsal spur on the back feet. I can't tell from that picture though.

So $200 is what you would pay if you bought everything they are giving you and a cham from petco/petsmart.

So the issue is how long has the baby been under the incorrect uvb lighting? Chams can develop something called MBD from the incorrect UVB lighting. This is where the calcium is literally sucked from their bones making them brittle and very breakable. Often they will develop permanent signs of it with bowing to the limbs. I do not see any physical signs in baby yet.

Ask how long they have had it and what supplements they use. Also FYI in case you do not know if this is a female they lay infertile eggs. easiest way to tell is if it has a tarsal spur on the back feet. I can't tell from that picture though.

They have been giving him without d3 and repticalcium zoomed brand
832B3DE2-B3BA-4389-9B35-54485287FF27.jpeg

Also, why are you skeptical about the local breeder?? That would probably be your best bet, if they are a good breeder...
It is nice to rescue a chameleon if you go into it knowing you are doing a rescue.

Also, why are you skeptical about the local breeder?? That would probably be your best bet, if they are a good breeder...
It is nice to rescue a chameleon if you go into it knowing you are doing a rescue.

She was selling little guys that are about 3 weeks old, but does have older 3-4 month old ones.

Ask for a photo of the back side of the back feet..and ask what's going on with that puffy patch on its eye

they said they took it to a vet last week and was told it was vitamin deficiency and not enough humidity. They said he’s not cooperating and are unable to send me picture of the back feet.

I feel bad for the little guy, but don’t want to have to immediately do a vet visit.
I feel bad for it too. But Im not going to rush out and buy it. I would personally look around for a different one. I mean, vitamin deficiency isnt a death sentence. You can start it on a multivitamin and it would probably improve. But...I would want to start with a healthy little buddy, especially for your FIRST chameleon. Thats just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom