Chameleon Hoarding?

alexbrock

Any takers? I saw that tv show on the A&E, very sad. Anyone just keep chameleons for company, or have lost relationships because of chameleons? :eek: When does the hobby go too far?

I keep them because I love the way they behave, coloration and not an usual pet. People thinking of easy money making, leads to hoarding...hobby no mo'....

I hoard 13 at the moment.... I think it goes too far when you are buying more and you can't afford to care for the ones you already have. According to Loveline... addiction is when the activity effects your normal routine and life.

Any takers? I saw that tv show on the A&E, very sad. Anyone just keep chameleons for company, or have lost relationships because of chameleons? :eek: When does the hobby go too far?
I seem to recall a post where someone kissed their chameleons before bed, or put them in barbie doll beds.. something like that, any who. Don't really recall who, though... :D

I keep reptiles because it keeps me busy and distracted, and some of them are just too cute.

I agree with Kevin-if what you have exceeds the capacity you have for care and the money you have for Vet bills, food, and supplies you are over your head.
I have quite a few, but in this point in my busy life the reptile crew is what keeps me sane. Taking care of them is relaxing and I enjoy every minute of it.

I know what you mean or understand how it could happen. I think I could stand a person that has hoarded chams more than dogs or cats. Even though hoarding can be a disorder. If you notice most hoarders are not very clean. Is it possible to hoard pets and still be clean? I think if you hoard chams at least take care of them or be clean and call it your cham company!

coo coo

I seem to recall a post where someone kissed their chameleons before bed, or put them in barbie doll beds.. something like that, any who. Don't really recall who, though... :D

I keep reptiles because it keeps me busy and distracted, and some of them are just too cute.

Walking away.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Syn
hoarding

I have a few chams. I got them because I love the way they are. I was fortunate enought to retire very early..33! Taking care of them and all my saltwater stuff keeps my day busy so I don't go insane during the day.

least im not the only one:p

Yea, I think you can have as many as you want (of chams, dogs, cats...) as long as you can afford and provide for all their needs, AND if you can still maintain a life of your own. I see a lot of people on TV that have 20 cats and they can't leave the house for more than an hour because they need to take care of the cats. That's no longer a life for you, so I think that's where it becomes unhealthy for you, the caretaker. You can have 50 chameleons, but if you can afford them, still have time for socializing with friends, and can have a life outside of your pets then I don't think that's a problem.

At the dog park where I go to there are two people that have 6 malteses and 7 chihuahuas respectively, and the people with the 6 malteses have a life outside their dogs while the other woman does not (because her dogs are obnoxious, but that's a different story). So I think the second woman perhaps has gone a little too far. She can afford them, but it's not healthy for a 27 year old woman to have no friends because her dogs bark and deficate all over her house all day long, so she can't leave them for long.

I personally have never lost relationships because I have 6 chameleons running around loose in the apartment :D Everyone just thinks it's awesome. But there's a first time for everything.

What does putting your cham into a bed or kissing them have to do with the question of hoarding? Hoarding is when you have to many reptiles to properly house and give the proper care and med attention too. (and no its def NOT me thats got a barbie doll bed for my animals)

I have 2 chams, 5 dart frogs and 4 dogs and over 75 koi fish. I am a Dog Groomer. So I think the reason I have the reptiles and fish are for the fact of being different. When you see dogs everyday, and talk to "Dog People" everday. You kind of get tierd of it all. Its nice to come home to somthing different, caring for them helps me unwind.

What does putting your cham into a bed or kissing them have to do with the question of hoarding? Hoarding is when you have to many reptiles to properly house and give the proper care and med attention too. (and no its def NOT me thats got a barbie doll bed for my animals)
I was not directly replying to their hoarding question, rather where they mentioned, "Anyone just keep chameleons for company," so, eh.

Weren't some members taking showers with their chameleons as well?...now that is weird...

Weren't some members taking showers with their chameleons as well?...now that is weird...

Actually, I do occasionally bring my cham in the shower with me..LOL
I have a wooden dowel that goes across the top and he hangs out while i spray him with my hand held and he loves it! I think the humidity is good for him..but ya I'm one of those weird crazy people..what can I say??? :p:eek::):D

How funny is this,south park just did an episode about hoarding.

Dr.Chinstrap:Alright everyone,we are all here to face the disease of hoarding together.Nothing to be ashamed of, everyone here has the same problem. Whether it's office hoarding or in the locker,or even the hoarding of animals.

Mr.Yeoman:Excuse me,but uh,I am a sheep herder.

Dr.Chinstrap:It's pronounced "hoarder," and yes you are.

Mr.Yeoman:But but I,uh I'm actually herding sheep.

Dr.Chinstrap:Yes,you are hurting sheep by hoarding them, aren't you? It's good you realize that.

Butterflies have no concern for such things.I'm gonna go find me some butterfly poon :D.

Back
Top Bottom