Chameleon Hissed

Kamran_k

Established Member
I put a little bit larger of crickets then what I usually feed Rango and I saw him open his mouth super wide and vibrate and hiss. and I was wondering what coulda caused this. My general hypothesis was from the larger crickets he hasn't done it since I removed them.

Chameleons puff and hiss to say "stay back yooooo" I have never heard one vibrate but I believe it is fairly normal in veileds.

I have a Jacksons. and yea he's all good now It was just super shocking I have never seen him behave like that. and he got black stripes too. But now he's okay.

You should met my female. She’s a jerk, she will bite first and as questions later. Her old owners would ripe her out her cage and force her to be handled so I try my best to limit our interaction unless she wants it witch it almost never lol she also hisses at me as I feed her, she love me :love:

A side note for people and crickets, they bite! Putting "oversized" crickets can lead to issues. This is why I've moved away from free ranging my feeders...

I usually put 5-10 crickets in my young males enclosure. I wait for them to be close to gone before adding them. As it turns out they found a way to hide under stuff. Well, there were a few hold over crickets that got to "large" size, but he would still eat them. A few weeks ago I noticed some food or dirt hanging off my cham. Turned out to be stuck on there too good. Turned out to be a cricket bite. Not sure why or how he got bit - if the cricket was walking on him and bit him or if he tried to eat and oversized cricket that defensively bit him.

So that's my horror story for crickets, lol. For hissing and puffing... well, lol.
My poor female panther has MBD. I'm not sure if that's why she does it this way or if it's just her way... but she does a FULL wind up like the T-Rex from jurrasic park, even lifting her front legs off the branch, and gapes... its sadly hilarious. My males hasn't had an attitude with me in a long time, but when he was younger I swear you could tell when he hit puberty. He would pitch when he hissed.

Chams will gape and hiss for all kinds of reasons. My male gapes when I take him outside to tell me which way to turn. If I go left and he gapes, I'll turn around and hes happy. Ah, the things we do for our chams to not hate us :*(

Yea I hate crickets so much. Not only do they bite they stink. I wish my guy enjoyed Dubias but whenever I try and offer them he's never interested in them.

Coda will lunge at me if I get within 3 inches of her proximity, she doesn’t care if it’s one finger or five, they will all be gone.

Yea I hate crickets so much. Not only do they bite they stink. I wish my guy enjoyed Dubias but whenever I try and offer them he's never interested in them.

My guy is hit or miss with dubia. The only way he'll eat them right now is if I put them one at a time, upside down hanging from the top screen, below the UVB light. They run for cover, and he'll pick them off that way, one by one.

My guy is hit or miss with dubia. The only way he'll eat them right now is if I put them one at a time, upside down hanging from the top screen, below the UVB light. They run for cover, and he'll pick them off that way, one by one.
My guy likes them a lot, but they definitely get away more easily than cricks. I have a hanging cup where I leave them sometimes, but he's more likely to eat them out of my hand or on a leaf. But on the leaves, if he's not hungry enough, he'll just ignore them, and then they run away. I discovered a family of 30 cockroaches in the bottom of my plant draining bowl ... apparently a few had hidden there and bred! Nice to have some free feeders! :LOL:

yea I tried putting the dubia's on the leaves and they just ran away lol. Rangos even does the little head jerk to tell me to get those away from him lol

Back
Top Bottom