Chameleon has only one eye open

erict17

help! chameleon only has one eye open and I am worried. I’ve seen videos that say it could be an eye infection, but what do you guys think? I don’t have a vet anywhere near me. I do, but I don’t think they take reptiles like chameleons, only snakes. For the past few days, I thought it was just really sleepy and it couldn’t sleep through the night. Then I noticed it was actually only one eye that was closed. I caught it rubbing it on a branch. Could I be just debri? I have a heat lamp, the right one. And the calcium one, as seen in the pictures. I have been feeding it only crickets, it catches houseflies from time to time, and German/American roaches. I give it calcium supplement powder, with vitamin D3 and without, plus multivitamin. I’ve had it for about 2 months. Just got new plants today but I have been having pothos and hibiscus. Do not know the exact age, but about 1 year old. It’s a female veiled chameleon. I tried misting it’s eye slightly so I could help anything stuck in there get out. Also, I haven’t seen It drink water for the past 2 days. I’ve misted the leaves though and I’m pretty sure it drank from there. Anyone?

Attachments

• 4ECD39F4-E76F-4326-8968-C17B191207B8.jpeg
    4ECD39F4-E76F-4326-8968-C17B191207B8.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 87BCE702-200A-446E-8FEE-5A6F31F59111.jpeg
    87BCE702-200A-446E-8FEE-5A6F31F59111.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 27BFA953-B07B-423D-9A44-4A868F233E58.jpeg
    27BFA953-B07B-423D-9A44-4A868F233E58.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 76
  • CBABA915-CDC9-4E41-B22C-6629A1DD5E2D.jpeg
    CBABA915-CDC9-4E41-B22C-6629A1DD5E2D.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 79
  • A1D306D1-1DC6-45EF-A897-5DAC9DA55E13.jpeg
    A1D306D1-1DC6-45EF-A897-5DAC9DA55E13.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 84
  • C6C47DB0-9414-44D0-B866-DB846944D370.jpeg
    C6C47DB0-9414-44D0-B866-DB846944D370.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 81
Hello! Something is definitely up with their eye. Provide more pictures of the chameleon and their cage if possible.

When misting them, do they look like their trying to clean something from the eye? Moving it under the skin, blinking, anything like that? And under the eye skin, are you seeing any lumps or abnormalities? How is their appetite? Activity level?

Please fill out this form in as much detail as possible. I can see problems with your husbandry and those are likely a large part of the problem here.

Right off the bat I can see one of your lights is inside the cage.. this is a HUGE no no. Burn risk.

Your cage doesn't look the most secure/steady either. That mesh looks like plastic.

Vet list, if needed: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hello! Something is definitely up with their eye. Provide more pictures of the chameleon and their cage if possible.

When misting them, do they look like their trying to clean something from the eye? Moving it under the skin, blinking, anything like that? And under the eye skin, are you seeing any lumps or abnormalities? How is their appetite? Activity level?

Please fill out this form in as much detail as possible. I can see problems with your husbandry and those are likely a large part of the problem here.

Right off the bat I can see one of your lights is inside the cage.. this is a HUGE no no. Burn risk.

Your cage doesn't look the most secure/steady either. That mesh looks like plastic.

Vet list, if needed: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Thanks so much for this information, it seems as she’s opened her eye. I don’t know how but she did! The misting must’ve worked and it must I’ve been debris. Her eye looks totally fine now. She can open both and none look swollen. Here are pictures of the cage. Sadly, yes the cage is not aluminum mesh it is plastic. We could not get aluminum wage. I didn’t know the lamp was not supposed to go inside the cage but it makes sense now! I moved it inside because if I put it on top the heat lamp melts the plastic. Here are more pictures of the cage. I have hibiscus and safe-veiled chameleon plants. The vitamins I have are Repti-Calcium with and without D3, and Rep-Carl’s multivitamin.

Attachments

• F2186CB7-1D70-486B-8448-18D4CFD624CF.jpeg
    F2186CB7-1D70-486B-8448-18D4CFD624CF.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 3C43CAA2-4633-499B-9BED-9AC26728DA91.jpeg
    3C43CAA2-4633-499B-9BED-9AC26728DA91.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 03451EA4-1DB4-4217-9729-231142BB19F2.jpeg
    03451EA4-1DB4-4217-9729-231142BB19F2.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 83
Ok so I don’t see a linear uvb. If you have a coil uvb these aren’t right for chams. The normal uvb recommended is T5 high output 6% or 5.0.
There are plenty of threads on here about uvb if you just search.
Correct uvb is essential for a Cham.
Also what exactly is your supplement regime. I’m going to tag a couple of more experienced keepers that may be able to help you out a bit more with the specifics. @Beman @MissSkittles

If you could fill out the form that'd be great. :)

You really need to get a proper screen cage. Or remake this cage to be safer with the proper mesh. I cannot aid you with this.
If you buy a new cage, minimum 2x2x4. Dragon strand sells amazing cages and atriums, I would check it out.

What are your distances from lights to top branch? You'll want to raise your lights off the top because younger chams will tend to screen climb, and are unaware they are being burned.

What are your temperatures? What are you measuring these temps with?

You have an incorrect uvb. You'll want a T5HO 5.0 reptisun, linear, or an Arcadia 6% T5HO

What is your supplement schedule?

As I said above, the form organizes your husbandry into an easy to read form which makes it a lot easier to correct things.

Chameleon care crash-course- https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/

Back
Top Bottom