Chameleon Going to Bottom of Cage

Ambilobe123

Avid Member
My juvenile male Panther chameleon has recently been going to the bottom of his cage and refusing food. I am new to chameleons- I don't know if I have everything he needs. His eye turrets are not sunken, but other than that I have no idea what to look for- please help

Hello could you please fill out the help form so we can have a better understand on what’s going on

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He's a Male Panther Chameleon, I've had him for about a month, but I don't know how old- he's about a foot long? I'm sorry if that's not too accurate- if it helps, he's ambilobe and just starting to show more orange

I handle him several times a week, but not for long, the breeder we got him from said that he would only need calcium without d3, and ordered it for me (it's still shipping), but we feed him crickets, occasionally mealworms, and 1-2x a week hornworms, I mist 2-3x a day, until the leaves in his terrarium are dripping, I have seen him drink, but I don't always have time to watch him, his poo is yellow, gray, and slimy, he has never been tested for parasites

Cage is glass with mesh roof, dimensions approx. 12x12x19in, we have a dome light and are going to get a uvb, lights off at night, on again in the morning, temperature goes up to 85 at basking spot, down to no lower than 71 at night, we have a hygrometer that I don't trust because it's not digital, but it goes up to 70 when I mist, 2 minutes later it's at 40. We use live plants, including ivy, and a vine that I have no idea what it's called, but it has 3in long leaves and vines as thick as a pencil which he loves, his cage is on the opposite side of the room from the heat vent, I'd have to say it's 4ft floor to top of cage, as its on a surface,
Alberta, CA

Thank you for your answers. Some more detail is needed, but let me ask a few questions. He is about a foot long? Is that head to butt, or head to tail? Either way, that means in a 12x12x20” enclosure, he is as long as both the length and width. To put it mildly, this enclosure is very small for him. If you want to stick with glass, people generally recommend and enclosure that is 36x36x18-24”; even bigger if you can afford it. You don’t mention your ultra violet lighting source. This is important.

I’m a relatively new keeper and I have veileds, but I can see that there are some changes that need to be made.

He's a Male Panther Chameleon, I've had him for about a month, but I don't know how old- he's about a foot long? I'm sorry if that's not too accurate- if it helps, he's ambilobe and just starting to show more orange

I handle him several times a week, but not for long, the breeder we got him from said that he would only need calcium without d3, You will be needing to lightly dust at every feeding with phosphorus free Calcium without D3. Once every other week you will be needing to dust with Calcium WITH D3 and alternate every other week with a multivitamin. A simpler way that many do is to dust at every feeding with Repashy brand Calcium with LoD and no other supplementation is needed. and ordered it for me (it's still shipping), but we feed him crickets, occasionally mealworms, and 1-2x a week hornworms, Crickets and the occasional hornworm are ok. Mealworms are not recommended. Will attach feeder sheet. How are you gutloading? mist 2-3x a day, until the leaves in his terrarium are dripping, I have seen him drink, but I don't always have time to watch him, his poo is yellow, gray, and slimy, he has never been tested for parasites Not normal for poo and strongly advise you have it tested.

Cage is glass with mesh roof, dimensions approx. 12x12x19in, Much too small for a male panther. The minimum size is 24x24x48. Glass or screen depends on where you live. we have a dome light and are going to get a uvb, Best uvb to get is a T5 ho with either a 5.0 or an Arcadia brand 6% bulb. Fixture needs to span the width of the enclosure. lights off at night, on again in the morning, temperature goes up to 85 at basking spot, down to no lower than 71 at night, we have a hygrometer that I don't trust because it's not digital, but it goes up to 70 when I mist, 2 minutes later it's at 40. You may wish to get a digital one to accurately measure. We use live plants, including ivy, and a vine that I have no idea what it's called, but it has 3in long leaves and vines as thick as a pencil which he loves, The more live plants, the better. Although panthers don’t tend to eat their plants like veileds do, you still will want to make sure they are cham safe. My fave is Pothos. his cage is on the opposite side of the room from the heat vent, I'd have to say it's 4ft floor to top of cage, as its on a surface,
Alberta, CA

This is all that I feel comfortable in advising you about. I’m sure those more experienced will be able to offer more. If you could provide some pics of your cham and entire enclosure, that would be of more help than you know.
1208B85B-131A-4CBA-823C-12929699D994.jpeg 49914C29-511E-4F2E-AA2A-C43A9B2CF03A.jpeg

I don’t know if anyone has thought of this, but can you please post pictures of the back ankles/feet? New keepers are often mislead on the gender of their chams and it sounds like he/she is looking for a lay bin.

For one thing your little guys has MBD. Do you already have a good reptile vet? If not please tell me where you live and I might be able to recommend one.

He may be falling since his bones are soft and not just going to the bottom of the cage. If he’s falling their bones break very easy when they have MBD. I recommend a hospital sit up for him ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom