Chameleon gave me a "kiss"

I have been kissing animals including reptiles practically all my life and never had and health issues. It’s also pretty rare for a chameleon to have salmonella says my vet. This has been discussed on here for many year.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/most-friendliest-chameleon.45616/
Thank goodness I’m not alone and can now admit that I kiss mine. Well, the only cham I can kiss is Jack, but the leopard geckos and beardie let me kiss the tops of their heads/necks. 😚😚😚

I have been kissing animals including reptiles practically all my life and never had and health issues. It’s also pretty rare for a chameleon to have salmonella says my vet. This has been discussed on here for many year.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/most-friendliest-chameleon.45616/
I don't doubt that, and no offense was intended, but I agree with
This is a chameleon keeper pro move! Kids, don’t try this at home!
+1.

The archives also show that some/many chameleons come from—and/or are kept in—less hygienic conditions (e.g. BYB, WC, other) that may be more likely to carry diseases and parasites. IMO diligence, fastidiousness, and luck are also factors.

I also know several veterinarians who might disagree with yours. That's OK. IME there are always at least 2 sides to any/every issue (and often more), and many—like chameleon friendliness/handleability, hygiene—fall on a bell curve; there are averages and outliers.

Just to be clear, I did not say anything like, "Don't kiss your chameleon or you will DIE from one of these horrible diseases." I cited some sources that list diseases that reptiles (including chameleons) can carry, and are transmissible to humans.

Everyone can decide for themselves; shouldn't they be making informed decisions? :unsure:

Well put! Also, if anyone which I am sure just about everyone knows (don't assume anymore) that usually more than not after a cham defecates, there is a wiping of the vent on plants, vines, or other stuff in their environment. ewwwww :)
I monitor way too much but now have the time. (y)

How do y’all get them to become so friendly and lovable. My Lizzy is such a grouch
My panther—one of the allegedly friendliest species—is named is Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants, and it's not because of his sparkling personality, I promise. He got his name the old fashioned way—he earned it.

Rule #1 They're all individuals​
Rule #2 They're all different​
Rule #3 They're all part of an insidious global conspiracy to dominate humans and rule the world.​

I lied. I made the first two up. :rolleyes:

Different animals may have certain traits, usually passed on genetically. But no matter how you cut it, genetics are still a roll of the dice.

1638993510712.png

Rule #4 Count your fingers after handling. ;)
Aside from genetics, there's 'taming' which may or may not work to some degree depending on the individual. IME, positive reinforcement works best, but it does take patience & perseverance, and a little perspicacity doesn't hurt. :)

Last edited:
Cool expetience. I would offer my veiled large hornworms while he was on.my chest and when he tried to open up to take them, offer close to face, i would put in syringe. also try holding him in your left hand and taping gently on the side of his mouth with the syringe with your right hand. I was usually successful with that. Never grab the crest as you can damage it. Glad you opted not to listen to that vet. also check utube as there are usually videos you can watch.

Back
Top Bottom