Chameleon eye infection?

Chameal

Our 5 month old veiled chameleon has a strange substance covering her eye. We are wondering if it is an eye infection.:confused:

Additional info:
Cage setup: WE keep her on a small tree in our living room that gets lots of sun.
Species: Veiled/Yemen Chameleon
*Edit*
She is very active and there is poop in the cage. She still eats also. We think it is mucus on her eye.

Last edited:
sorry our camera is not working. We have gotten some additional information from the internet. Thanks.

sorry our camera is not working. We have gotten some additional information from the internet.

Doyou have a camera phone? if so, you can take pics, then email them to yourself, then load them onto the forum.
Did your cham recently shed?

Not to do with the eye infection but...does the sunlight pass through glass?
Do you have a UVB light over her?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Do you gutload the insects?
How do you provide water for her?
Do you have an egglaying site for her?

Not to do with the eye infection but...does the sunlight pass through glass?
Do you have a UVB light over her?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Do you gutload the insects?
How do you provide water for her?
Do you have an egglaying site for her?
YEs the UV rays do pass through the glass and we only keep her there during the day.
We have gotten a UV light.
WE only use supplements when feeding her crickets. (I dont know if they are gutloaded)
She drinks water dropplets off the leaves of the tree.
She is not old enough to lay eggs.

YEs the UV rays do pass through the glass and we only keep her there during the day.
We have gotten a UV light.
WE only use supplements when feeding her crickets. (I dont know if they are gutloaded)
She drinks water dropplets off the leaves of the tree.
She is not old enough to lay eggs.

UV rays can not pass through glass enough to benefit a chameleon. She needs a UVB light. We recommend the Reptisun 5.0. Which one did you get?

You need to gutload the crickets and feeders. Here is Sandrachameleons blog about gutloading. It is VERY important to do it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

What exact supplements do you use?

UV rays can not pass through glass enough to benefit a chameleon. She needs a UVB light. We recommend the Reptisun 5.0. Which one did you get?

You need to gutload the crickets and feeders. Here is Sandrachameleons blog about gutloading. It is VERY important to do it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

What exact supplements do you use?

I dont know what supplement it is. We get it when we buy crickets. We have the 5.0 tropical lamp.

5 month old veiled chameleon females are old enough to lay eggs.
Is it dry in your house?
How do you know the crickets are gutloaded/fed properly?
What other insects do you feed her?

5 month old veiled chameleon females are old enough to lay eggs.
Is it dry in your house?
How do you know the crickets are gutloaded/fed properly?
What other insects do you feed her?
We only feed her flys and crickets. It is dry so we keep her sprayed down. I had no idea that 5 month old veiled chameleons could lays eggs.

We only feed her flys and crickets. It is dry so we keep her sprayed down. I had no idea that 5 month old veiled chameleons could lays eggs.

She should be getting a wider variety of food in her diet.
She should be supplemented with a calicum without d3 every feeding, a calcium with d3 twice a month, and a multivitamin twice a month.
yes, females can begin laying eggs around 5-6 months of age. So I would suggest getting a laying bin prepared for her, and leave it in her cage, 24/7 just in case.

Also, as someone else said, uvb rays do not pass through glass or plastic, so you need to make sure she has a uvb bulb, reptiglo or reptisun 5.0 and a basking bulb (a regular house bulb is fine)

She should be getting a wider variety of food in her diet.
She should be supplemented with a calicum without d3 every feeding, a calcium with d3 twice a month, and a multivitamin twice a month.
yes, females can begin laying eggs around 5-6 months of age. So I would suggest getting a laying bin prepared for her, and leave it in her cage, 24/7 just in case.

Also, as someone else said, uvb rays do not pass through glass or plastic, so you need to make sure she has a uvb bulb, reptiglo or reptisun 5.0 and a basking bulb (a regular house bulb is fine)
we do have he 2 bulbs. When we stop at the pet store next I will get those. Is there a link to how to make a nestiing bin?

we do have he 2 bulbs. When we stop at the pet store next I will get those. Is there a link to how to make a nestiing bin?

They don't have those at local pet shops. You need to get them online. LLLReptile.com is a great site. Instead of getting all those, you can get Repashy Calcium Plus. Its an all in one that is meant to be used every day.

As for the egg laying bin, here is a link to Janns blog about it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

W get them from petsmart. Does that mean anything? Do they gutload them? She just scraped her eye on the tree and the mucus came out of her eye. Thanks or all of yor help!

Petmart does not gut load crickets properly. you need to buy Crickets, them feed them apples, oranges, potatoes, mustard greens, bee pollen, dandion leaves, etc for a few days before feeding the crickets off to your Cham. Sandrachameleon has a good blog on gut loading. Go read it.

Re: eye infection...does your chameleon keep the eye open? Rub it on the branches? Have you tried gently misting the eye?
If misting doesn't work then it might be time for a vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom