Chameleon eye closed

Do you maybe have someone who could take him in for you? I know it isnt ideal, but if you have someone you could trust maybe you could set an appointment, load the little one in a closed box and have them bring him in? If you set up a small box with a branch and can close it (with air holes obviously) it will be dark and he can just sleep will his appointment. He would be ok for a bit like that. I drive mine 2 hours one way so he ends up sleeping allll day in his
ill try a few people maybe I could do this

Also does anyone have any reccomendations for how i could try and get him to eat so maybe he'll get better.

I have black soldier fly larvae Dubia roaches and I had silkworms before they are gutloaded with collared greens a piece of a carrot and of a mango
I recommend you to feed him small crickets gutloaded with mostly collard greens and small amount of carrots and the mango just like your doing. My cham eats large crickets and Dubai with some hornworms for treats now but she would only eat small crickets for the longest time. Dubai roaches have a much harder shell it’s much harder for a baby Cham to digest and break down.

I know you said your little guy isn’t eating at all, forcefeeding is a last resort and is hard to watch for anyone and will be even harder to watch for your self, but I will post a video of ways you can do it.

Just know you’re doing this at your own discretion and your chameleon WILL NOT like it and you must be gently on the cask and skin below the chin it is still very delicate. If you have no other options to get him to eat I’m for it though so he doesn’t have to pass. Get small crickets dust them with calcium and you can give that a try so he can start to get some calories and build his appetite.

Last edited:
Also does anyone have any reccomendations for how i could try and get him to eat so maybe he'll get better.
This is the hard part because he’s so tiny. I‘m wondering if putting him in a hospital bin may be better. @kinyonga @Beman @jannb Do you think a hospital bin will help baby?
If they do….. Get a medium sized plastic bin and put your pothos plant and some branches or a vine in there for him. You can remove the door of your ReptiBreeze easily to use as a lid and to place the lights on. You may need to elevate the lights so that you aren’t blasting him with uvb. You may not need a heat light at all - you don’t want to bake the baby. Get some tiny feeders - a little smaller than what he can handle may be better. Do make sure to put a small piece of greens or carrot if giving crickets so any uneaten strays won’t bite the baby.

This is the hard part because he’s so tiny. I‘m wondering if putting him in a hospital bin may be better. @kinyonga @Beman @jannb Do you think a hospital bin will help baby?
If they do….. Get a medium sized plastic bin and put your pothos plant and some branches or a vine in there for him. You can remove the door of your ReptiBreeze easily to use as a lid and to place the lights on. You may need to elevate the lights so that you aren’t blasting him with uvb. You may not need a heat light at all - you don’t want to bake the baby. Get some tiny feeders - a little smaller than what he can handle may be better. Do make sure to put a small piece of greens or carrot if giving crickets so any uneaten strays won’t bite the baby.
@MissSkittles is very experienced I would try this first and maybe he will voluntarily eat in this environment. Forcefeeding him would be your last resort you could easily harm him forcefeeding that is why it is a last resort. If you can get him to voluntarily eat by this method do it first because your Cham will most definitely hate you if you forcefeed. If the method @MissSkittles offered doesn’t work and I’m not trying to sound blunt about this and even without much experience I can tell you for certain if he doesn’t start eating very soon he is going to pass so I’m not against forcefeeding to get him back to health if their are absolutely no other options as long as your extra gentle he is a baby this is just to keep him alive since your out of options at the moment he will need seen by another vet with more experience asap.

Last edited:
Ok I am going to jump in here. Can you fill out this form by copying and paste it into your reply then fill it out with as much detail as possible. I need a picture of the cage straight on showing the lighting on top. I need pics off your supplements as well. Then pics of baby. This will help me spot anything that stands out. and make it easier for me since you have 3 pages so far.

I would not try to force feed this baby. It is much too small and you could cause damage if you do it wrong. Feeders need to be very small.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

How big of a container should I get

I recommend you to feed him small crickets gutloaded with mostly collard greens and small amount of carrots and the mango just like your doing. My cham eats large crickets and Dubai with some hornworms for treats now but she would only eat small crickets for the longest time. Dubai roaches have a much harder shell it’s much harder for a baby Cham to digest and break down.

I know you said your little guy isn’t eating at all, forcefeeding is a last resort and is hard to watch for anyone and will be even harder to watch for your self, but I will post a video of ways you can do it.

Just know you’re doing this at your own discretion and your chameleon WILL NOT like it and you must be gently on the cask and skin below the chin it is still very delicate. If you have no other options to get him to eat I’m for it though so he doesn’t have to pass. Get small crickets dust them with calcium and you can give that a try so he can start to get some calories and build his appetite.

I got the crickets and I am gut loading them and also got an appointment Monday with a vet from the list

Ok I am going to jump in here. Can you fill out this form by copying and paste it into your reply then fill it out with as much detail as possible. I need a picture of the cage straight on showing the lighting on top. I need pics off your supplements as well. Then pics of baby. This will help me spot anything that stands out. and make it easier for me since you have 3 pages so far.

I would not try to force feed this baby. It is much too small and you could cause damage if you do it wrong. Feeders need to be very small.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
I saw pics of the baby yesterday he looks very malnourished maybe too malnourished to voluntarily eat I hope what is being recommended works out for you and your little guy. But your in good hands with @Beman and good luck to your little dude I’m gonna leave this to them.

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreeze XL 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? 50 w Pangea halogen heat bulb What is your daily lighting schedule? Turns on at8 am and off at 8 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? The cage is 72-69 the basking spot is 82 Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temperature and humidity gauge
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?my humidity is around 40-50 I have a humidity gauge and I’m using dropper and misting
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes pothos and other kinds
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s the tallest thing in my room by a window but the window is sealed off.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? New Jersey
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He is not eating

I saw pics of the baby yesterday he looks very malnourished maybe too malnourished to voluntarily eat I hope what is being recommended works out for you and your little guy. But your in good hands with @Beman and good luck to your little dude I’m gonna leave this to them.
Thank you very much for all the help yeah he didn’t look the best when I got him but he was starting to look better until this happened

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 3 months make it has been in my care for around a month
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I haven’t handled him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed dubia and black soldier fly larvae I put around 15 of each in the dishes I gutload with mango carrot and collared greens I put the food in the morning
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am using Pangea cal without d3 and reptivite with d3 I’m using the one without everyday and the one with my plan was 1-2 a month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Manual misting I often mist for two minutes before lights on and after but I have started misting for 3 minutes and I have a dripper throughout the day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? The color is mostly white and he has not been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was at petco and the enclosure there was terrible and had a water dish and loose crickets

You missed the first section of the form. Here is is again with your second section filled out please fill out the top half as well from your chameleon to history. The more specific you are the better I can assist.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen reptibreeze XL 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? 50 w Pangea halogen heat bulb What is your daily lighting schedule? Turns on at8 am and off at 8 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? The cage is 72-69 the basking spot is 82 Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temperature and humidity gauge
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?my humidity is around 40-50 I have a humidity gauge and I’m using dropper and misting
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes pothos and other kinds
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It’s the tallest thing in my room by a window but the window is sealed off.

You missed the first section of the form. Here is is again with your second section filled out please fill out the top half as well from your chameleon to history. The more specific you are the better I can assist.

Cage Info:

Sorry about that I realized and filled the rest out btw his name is Cosmo I don’t know if I mentioned that previously

I was thinking, you might just surrender him to a rescue I don’t think anyone’s advice here is going to save him in time he’s counting down his days waiting he’s in dire need of help and our assistance only stretches so far as members on a forum we only have so much information but we can’t forget you Cham doesn’t have much time... If you can’t afford to get a second opinion from a vet you could surrender him to a rescue company, their are YouTubers who take in rescue reptiles if you leave a comment they would give him a good life, I’m sure their are people here on this forum that would be willing to take him and get him the care he needs from a vet I would even do it. I’m just worried about how much time he has left and these replies on this forum for you are dragging on and on. There are a thousand things you could try to do to save him but I think your best option is to ask for help from others at this point as in surrendering him. With all the experience people have here you still have to understand none of us are professionals and taking care into your own hands or having it recommend goes against my morals he needs medical attention and I think theirs more you could do than even what’s being recommended by experienced members here, you need professional assistance from a well known chameleon care vet.

Last edited:
I was thinking, you might just surrender him to a rescue I don’t think anyone’s advice here is going to save him in time he’s counting down his days waiting he’s in dire need of help and our assistance only stretches so far as members on a forum we only have so much information but we can’t forget you Cham doesn’t have much time... If you can’t afford to get a second opinion from a vet you could surrender him to a rescue company, their are YouTubers who take in rescue reptiles if you leave a comment they would give him a good life, I’m sure their are people here on this forum that would be willing to take him and get him the care he needs from a vet I would even do it.
I got an appointment Monday for him is that too far away ?

How big of a container should I get
I would keep it to about something like a 32 Qt bin. Alternatively, and maybe would work better for you would be to raise the bottom of the ReptiBreeze to reduce the height by maybe half. If you can find something stable to put in there and support the bottom. Or you could turn it on it’s side (door facing a side) if you can block off the open bottom securely.

Let’s hope not he doesn’t look to be in good shape. I’m glad you have an appointment set for him to be seen again. I’m worried about your dude! I’m wondering is he still able to climb around/move okay? He is nearing death if he can’t hold his weight anymore.

Looking at your husbandry, not really anything is jumping out at me. I did see your uvb in one of your pics so I know it’s linear, but can’t tell if it’s a T5 or T8 or what the bulb strength is. The T8 is 1” if that helps any. The strength is written on the end of the bulb.
I don’t know if it’s already been asked, but what size feeders have you been giving? 1/2”, 1/4”, bigger, smaller?

I really just want to do what’s best for him
Looking at your husbandry, not really anything is jumping out at me. I did see your uvb in one of your pics so I know it’s linear, but can’t tell if it’s a T5 or T8 or what the bulb strength is. The T8 is 1” if that helps any. The strength is written on the end of the bulb.
I don’t know if it’s already been asked, but what size feeders have you been giving? 1/2”, 1/4”, bigger, smaller?
The bulb is a t5 and the feeders are 1/2 and smaller

Back
Top Bottom