Chameleon eye abscess maybe? Help Please

Hey man I took mine to to get today and it turned out to just be calcium deficiency so she’s gonna be ok,I would assume the same for yours but take it just in case.
So the vet is saying the eye issue has to do with a calcium deficiency?
Please post on here if it goes away.
What did the vet say to do to correct the calcium problem?

The eye issue was because she was dehydrated and was calcium deficient.It’s been a day after and she’s opening her eyes a lot more but is still closing them.Also the thing In the corner of her eye the vet said should go away eventually if given proper nutrition and vitamins

I would also give your chameleon reptivite,it’s good for their eyes and they only need this for one feeding every week or two

Did the vet take X-rays of her?
Did the vet say to give her more calcium or D3 or change UVB light to a linear one?

When a chameleon is calcium deficient it's usually due to an imbalance between calcium, phosphorous, D3 and vitamin A.

If the chameleon isn't getting D3 from supplements and producing D3 from its exposure to the UVB, it can't use the calcium it has available to it. If it doesn't get enough calcium then it can be calcium deficient.

If the balance between the phos and calcium is off its bones won't be strong...it will be calcium deficient.

If it has a bad balance between the D3 and the vitamin A it can be calcium deficient.

In any of those cases things have to be put back in balance.
Now to add to the problem....there is no exact amount of these things that is needed to get an exact balance... so all we can go by is the way the chameleon looks, etc.

We do know that D3 from supplements can lead to overdoses and cause bone/calcium issues so we only use it twice a month lightly and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of its D3 from the exposure to the UVB light. UVB produced from the exposure to the light should not cause an overdose as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will.

We do know that vitamin D3 and vitamin A are somewhat antagonistic to each other and need to be in balance for good bone health. There are two types of vitamin A...prOformed and prEformed.

PrOformed comes from carotenoids found in veggies, leafy greens, etc. and cannot lead to an overdose...it must be converted into preformed vitamin A by the chameleon to be used. However...there is controversy over whether chameleons can convert it or not or if they can convert it well or not.

PrEformed vitamin A comes from retinoids...animal sources...and it's ready to go. It can build up, is stored in the liver and can be overdosed. This is why we use it with caution.

Concerning dehydration...if the urates are white or almost white (have very little orange) then the chameleon should not be dehydrated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom