Chameleon emergency

Benjaminx3

Hello, I went to go check on Tava, my ~15 month old female veiled chameleon tonight, since she was showing signs of being gravid and has been in and out of the egg bin. Well, I checked on her, and found some VERY alarming things.

I suspect she may have fallen. Possible, she fell, tried to catch herself and ended up falling upside down, because what I saw is that the veil on her head is actually crooked now. I very gently touched it, and it seems loose, so I assume that the bone is broken.

Her chin is also swollen. Not puffed up, but swollen. It's sort of hard to the touch.

Before this, her health was near perfect. The's been on medication for her necrosis and has been healed for over a month now. She's also been on calcium to keep her bones strong. Her crickets have also been gut-loaded with various dry and wet ingredients. Her behaviour has been much better than ever before, so I honestly think that this was some sort of horrible accident. I have her in my lap now, to assure nothing else happens, but we don't have a net that will see her right now, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow - if she's even in then. She's being very aggressive, I assume because she's in pain.

I'll provide some pictures. I know there's probably not much I can do until the vet is in, but any pointers would be nice, if something like this is even able to be recovered from.

Pictures:
dy11t2.jpg

295pj4g.jpg

O the poor girl. She definatly needs a vet. Can you arrange her cage so she can't hurt herself further. Also put a thick towel on the bottom. It's important to keep her hydrated, food can wait. Can you drip very small amounts in her mouth and let her tongue do the work? Can you lower her basking lamp to a safe distance to give her heat, but not too much as you don't want to encourage her to climb. Good luck.:)

It might also be a good idea to put her in a large laying bin where she cannot get out of it (like trash can sized.) Add a low branch or two, and a small fake plant or some leaves from a real plant. Then she wont be able to fall far, and if she does it will be on they laying substrate, and if she still wants to dig, she can.

Definitely get her to a vet as soon as possible, even if it isnt your usual vet.

Okay, I have her in a bin where she'll be safe for the time being. I called the vet and the reptile vet won't be in until tomorrow, and then tomorrow she's only doing surgeries, but I'm still waiting on a call from a technician to see if I can get her in anyways. Thanks for everything so far!

I would say in this case that this is an emergency and she needs to be seen by a vet. Any vet tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom