Chameleon egg dented it was due on oct.16th

Off topic! I am understanding "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks". I like the old ones-- Note to world::: Stop creating new tricks.

Found this online--- But there might be other forms (new learning lesson here).
ICBW, but it looks like lava rock, which generally holds heat & moisture pretty well.
(Color will vary)
1636039600141.png

Funny I have never seen this substrate before but that means nothing, since I am old school and learning the new stuff (within the last 8 years).

MHO-- Does your set-up contain the sponges on the sides like on their website? IF yes, that could be where the humidity is coming from. If no, do you add water to the bottom, since it does not look like this substrate retains water and could be used for stability in holding the egg in place..

I have a feeling I might be getting hammered (schooled) soon, since I am unaware of this product.. :cautious:

I have seen them selling eggs on e-bay and aware of the breeder in that area of CA. along with read comments on successful hatching.. (y)
The substrate is basically crushed terracotta. I use it. Mine is Pangea hatch. Is the brand. The Idea is that you can see it get lighter in color as it dries so you can track humidity.
The egg looks ok, but I have lost eggs from checking too much. Don’t open the container more than you have been the last months. The shell seems to dry out and makes hard for babies to break out

Found this online--- But there might be other forms (new learning lesson here).
This coarse vermiculite is what I've used for many many years...and it seems to work well. The finer vermiculite dries out too quickly IMHO. I've never tried things like hatch rite so I can't speak about them. I've never used that sponge method or a real incubator either.

My "incubator" has always been a people's heating pad...the kind that don't shut off automatically and have 3 heat settings. Over/encasing it there is a frame made of 2x2's. On top of the 2x2" frame is window screen to keep the egg containers off the heating pad. I put the containers of eggs on top of the screen and set the temperature on the heating pad for the right range to incubate eggs...usually about 74F for most eggs.

The reasons for not setting the containers directly on the heating pads are...
The heating pad is not the exact same temperature in every area due to the way it's made and the difference in heat in the different areas seems to cause deformities at times....like crooked spines, etc.
I had some babies hatch and develop MBD almost immediately after hatching and I didn't know if it was the heating pad electromagnetic field that might have been causing it or something else...but when I raised the egg containers up higher, I had no more MBD in hatchlings. Just theory...no scientific proof at all that I know of.

Using this incubator, I hatched quite a few species of chameleons, geckos, turtles/tortoises, cone heads, water dragons, etc. ...so I never changed to a different incubator.

If the egg is getting close to hatching, it should shrink more, get more "windows" in it, dent to some extent and slit at the end soon.

This coarse vermiculite is what I've used for many many years...and it seems to work well. The finer vermiculite dries out too quickly IMHO. I've never tried things like hatch rite so I can't speak about them. I've never used that sponge method or a real incubator either.

My "incubator" has always been a people's heating pad...the kind that don't shut off automatically and have 3 heat settings. Over/encasing it there is a frame made of 2x2's. On top of the 2x2" frame is window screen to keep the egg containers off the heating pad. I put the containers of eggs on top of the screen and set the temperature on the heating pad for the right range to incubate eggs...usually about 74F for most eggs.

The reasons for not setting the containers directly on the heating pads are...
The heating pad is not the exact same temperature in every area due to the way it's made and the difference in heat in the different areas seems to cause deformities at times....like crooked spines, etc.
I had some babies hatch and develop MBD almost immediately after hatching and I didn't know if it was the heating pad electromagnetic field that might have been causing it or something else...but when I raised the egg containers up higher, I had no more MBD in hatchlings. Just theory...no scientific proof at all that I know of.

Using this incubator, I hatched quite a few species of chameleons, geckos, turtles/tortoises, cone heads, water dragons, etc. ...so I never changed to a different incubator.

If the egg is getting close to hatching, it should shrink more, get more "windows" in it, dent to some extent and slit at the end soon.
There is a little bit of mold around the edges. Will that affect it?

There is a little bit of mold around the edges. Will that affect it?
I'm not sure if the mold is an issue. I've never had good eggs mold...just infertile ones. I've also had a red growth on some eggs that were taken from a WC female that died before she could lay the eggs that didn't affect the eggs.

I'm not sure if the mold is an issue. I've never had good eggs mold...just infertile ones. I've also had a red growth on some eggs that were taken from a WC female that died before she could lay the eggs that didn't affect the eggs.
It was sweating on and off the past few weeks and seems to be only on the sides between the rock and the egg. You have to zoom in to see it.

It was sweating on and off the past few weeks and seems to be only on the sides between the rock and the egg. You have to zoom in to see it.
The mold was only on the sides? Did you wipe it off without disturbing the egg?

I hope you're not taking the lid off the container to check on it too often. You don't want the humidity levels changing all the time in then incubation container...so don't disturb the container often.

The mold was only on the sides? Did you wipe it off without disturbing the egg?

I hope you're not taking the lid off the container to check on it too often. You don't want the humidity levels changing all the time in then incubation container...so don't disturb the container often.
No I didn't wipe it off because we were afraid of messing with it. I only took pics when the breeder asked me to carefully take pics and when we zoomed in it was around the egg.

Sorry to say but that eggs looks totally infertile. A healthy fertile egg would be white in color even after hatching. Your egg is completely yellow in color I’m the early pics there was some white but this new pic leads me to believe it’s done for. Contact the breeder and request a new egg if that’s what they do as part of their customer service.

Back
Top Bottom