Chameleon egg dented it was due on oct.16th

Bekkins1127

So my egg was due oct.16 it started sweating on the 19th and has been sweating on and off since. Today it has a dent on the top...is it dead?
IMG_2078.jpg

The second picture looks a little yellow but that does not mean anything yet. Have you put a pen light up to it? Don't pickup.
Sweating usually happens before hatching but I have had a few sweat and take another 2 weeks to hatch (one I assisted since I was learning at the time). There is a good video how to assist the baby..
So, your baby does not look like it has broken through the shell yet.
Others should chime in soon...

The second picture looks a little yellow but that does not mean anything yet. Have you put a pen light up to it? Don't pickup.
Sweating usually happens before hatching but I have had a few sweat and take another 2 weeks to hatch (one I assisted since I was learning at the time). There is a good video how to assist the baby..
So, your baby does not look like it has broken through the shell yet.
Others should chime in soon...

No I haven't tried the pen light yet I don't have one but will pick one up today so we can see. The second picture is in the bathroom light and the first picture is in natural light.

Great! JMHO every event can be used as a learning process. Example: I just learned about the video about 6 months ago.
Keep us updated either way. Thanks!

Also- What is the substrate your using.. Just curious. (y)

Great! JMHO every event can be used as a learning process. Example: I just learned about the video about 6 months ago.
Keep us updated either way. Thanks!

Also- What is the substrate your using.. Just curious. (y)
I'm not sure I ordered it from chameleons101. It's like rocks?

Hi, welcome to the forum! I don’t have any experience with this but wanted to welcome you. I hope your little one emerges soon. Kinyonga always says not to give up on any eggs until it’s obvious the eggs no good so just give it time.

Thanks---- I will have to check it out... Always learning here. (y)

Edited after going to site.
Very interesting business practice and know of the place but never dealt with them. Maybe others will give their experience with purchasing eggs like this..

Thanks again!

Funny I have never seen this substrate before but that means nothing, since I am old school and learning the new stuff (within the last 8 years).

MHO-- Does your set-up contain the sponges on the sides like on their website? IF yes, that could be where the humidity is coming from. If no, do you add water to the bottom, since it does not look like this substrate retains water and could be used for stability in holding the egg in place..

I have a feeling I might be getting hammered (schooled) soon, since I am unaware of this product.. :cautious:

I have seen them selling eggs on e-bay and aware of the breeder in that area of CA. along with read comments on successful hatching.. (y)

Sorry, but I’ve no experience or knowledge about eggs. However, personally I would continue to incubate until there was no doubt at all that the egg was invalid. From what I’ve heard, some can be quite late in hatching…as in months.
Totally agree with MissSkittles and if I am not mistaken Salty Dog had a baby hatch a year or so (plus or minus) after the majority of the clutch.
We always hope for the best outcome.

Funny I have never seen this substrate before but that means nothing, since I am old school and learning the new stuff (within the last 8 years).

MHO-- Does your set-up contain the sponges on the sides like on their website? IF yes, that could be where the humidity is coming from. If no, do you add water to the bottom, since it does not look like this substrate retains water and could be used for stability in holding the egg in place..

I have a feeling I might be getting hammered (schooled) soon, since I am unaware of this product.. :cautious:

I have seen them selling eggs on e-bay and aware of the breeder in that area of CA. along with read comments on successful hatching.. (y)
Yes there are sponges on the side of the container and I'm suppose to keep it at 110 grams with the lids on it. It came with a small little syringe to slowly add water. He said to just make sure it stays between 105-115 grams. The rocks seem to hold moisture well as I check it every 3 weeks (roughly sometimes I forget) but it's only gone to 106 grams whenever i have checked it. Also he said only to add the water to the rocks not the egg.

Thanks for answering as I am learning and your info is filling in all the blanks I have.. (y)
No problem! There's not much about hatching eggs online so I'm really happy this forum exists! I've noticed no ones eggs seem to look exactly the same when they hatch so we have been worried this whole month about ours. By the way (I thought I should add) this is a panther chameleon egg.

Found this online--- But there might be other forms (new learning lesson here).

Attachments

• 1636039085901.png
    1636039085901.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 84

I think I know the feeling... :unsure:

jon snow love GIF

Back
Top Bottom