Chameleon Doesn’t like Powdered Calcium

He is a hefty guy. Definitely unhealthily overweight. He’s full grown so don’t be discouraged if he doesn’t seem to eat that often and that much (depending on the size of the feeders you’re feeding him. Which should be medium-large Dubai/crickets/silkies etc.). His veil does look bent and when you mentioned the previous owners had no uvb lights for him and probably didn’t properly supplement him either, I recommend you take him to the vet to go get checked and diagnosed for MBD. They’ll run some blood work and take some x-rays to properly diagnose MBD, and determine the extent at which the disease has already progressed, and this would allow you and the vet to determine a proper way to stop the progression, if he has MBD.. whether that be simply what you’ve already done, which is get him the proper lights, temps, and supplements, or if he needs an injection or oral calcium in order to correct any calcium:phosphorus imbalances
Sadly the one vet in my area sucks /:

I live in a small town, there’s only one exotic vet around and she SUCKS. (Not to be totally mean, but she’s horrible.) I’ve had problems with her multiple times and she can’t even do much as just look at the reptile (very roughly) and estimate a diagnosis. I don’t want to stress the chameleon too much and waste the money. There’s a few exotic vets a few hours away from me. So I’ll look into that and see if I can drive down there and get him checked out.

Ive noticed hes a bit over weight too. So I’m not 100% worried about his food intake. More worried about calcium intake as a whole.

You’ve guys have been amazing help though. I did research before getting my chameleons but even most websites don’t cover the small things. I can assure their lights are situated and that they won’t be getting too much D3. Thanks again lots. I’ll update you guys on when he eats next and if he takes in calcium.

Just wanted to update you guys.

I again tried feeding him with powdered calcium. He just wouldn’t accept. I lightly dusted, he would just eye them and turn away.

Today I went out for crickets and picked up some liquid calcium.

Tried the liquid calcium and he immediately accepted. So thank you to whoever recommended that. He ate a Dubai, two super worms and a horn worm. I don’t think he’s a fan of the Dubai since he wouldn’t accept any others, so I’ve been looking around at silk worms and mantids/stick bugs. If you guys have any recommendations for where to get these feeders let me know! But I’m happy he’s accepted the liquid calcium for now.

I again tried feeding him with powdered calcium. He just wouldn’t accept. I lightly dusted, he would just eye them and turn away.

Tried the liquid calcium and he immediately accepted. So thank you to whoever recommended that. He ate a Dubai, two super worms and a horn worm. I don’t think he’s a fan of the Dubai since he wouldn’t accept any others, so I’ve been looking around at silk worms and mantids/stick bugs. If you guys have any recommendations for where to get these feeders let me know! But I’m happy he’s accepted the liquid calcium for now.
The site sponsors for silkworms are great. I particularly like Serenity Silkworms and Mori Feeders. For a great roach selection, check with @jamest0o0 https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/roaches-isopods-and-more.174164/ He’s been downsizing his collection, so you’ll have to check with him and see what he has.

make sure it is phos free ok. I am not nearly as familiar with the spray on brands. I know a ton about the powdered ones and the different brands. But nothing about the spray on. So you just want to make sure it says on the bottle phosphorus free calcium without D3. :)

make sure it is phos free ok. I am not nearly as familiar with the spray on brands. I know a ton about the powdered ones and the different brands. But nothing about the spray on. So you just want to make sure it says on the bottle phosphorus free calcium without D3. :)
Look at the ingredients it list none of those and just states as “calcium spray.” So I’m pretty sure it has none of those. It’s just a Zilla calcium spray bought off shelf at a local pet shop. I’ll do some research into it online to see if there’s problem with this spray or if it’s misleading. But hopefully it isn’t lol!

Look at the ingredients it list none of those and just states as “calcium spray.” So I’m pretty sure it has none of those. It’s just a Zilla calcium spray bought off shelf at a local pet shop. I’ll do some research into it online to see if there’s problem with this spray or if it’s misleading. But hopefully it isn’t lol!
I just googled it. It looks good to use. I do not see anything to cause concern. :)

Adding in BSFL will be helpful if he will take them. They are high in calcium and no need to spray them.

I just googled it. It looks good to use. I do not see anything to cause concern. :)

Adding in BSFL will be helpful if he will take them. They are high in calcium and no need to spray them.
I plan on ordering those my next bug order! Silkworms, hornworms, super/mealworms and BSFL. My chameleons have allowed me to experiment with so many other bugs it’s been fun. My leopard geckos aren’t big fans of much lol!

I plan on ordering those my next bug order! Silkworms, hornworms, super/mealworms and BSFL. My chameleons have allowed me to experiment with so many other bugs it’s been fun. My leopard geckos aren’t big fans of much lol!
My friends leo loves bsfl.

My friends leo loves bsfl.
I’ve tried BFSL with mine and they turn their noses at it. Only one of my leopard geckos like hornworms and I barely got two of my
Leo’s to eat Dubai roaches today and I’ve been trying for about two years. I don’t know why they’re so picky at times but I just keep trying to reintroduce food to them incase something changes.

I’ve tried BFSL with mine and they turn their noses at it. Only one of my leopard geckos like hornworms and I barely got two of my
Leo’s to eat Dubai roaches today and I’ve been trying for about two years. I don’t know why they’re so picky at times but I just keep trying to reintroduce food to them incase something changes.
If yours are anything like mine, their likes will change daily. When it’s leo feeding time, I gather all of the feeders I have (roaches, silkworms, bsfl, mealworms, wax worms, crickets) and hope they’ll like at least one of them. How can such fussy eaters survive in the wild?!

If yours are anything like mine, their likes will change daily. When it’s leo feeding time, I gather all of the feeders I have (roaches, silkworms, bsfl, mealworms, wax worms, crickets) and hope they’ll like at least one of them. How can such fussy eaters survive in the wild?!
I have three. One just stick to worms and crickets, the other two are just as you described.

Just shows that even reptiles can be a little pampered sometimes 🙄

Just wanted to do another update, he took his powdered calcium and vitamins today! I was so surprised and very proud of him.

He’s also been eating really healthy. He also seems to be the once a week eater, I offer him about 2-3 times a week, but he likes eating once a week unless I give him a treat (Which he doesn’t get much of he’s a chunk). I finally got my hands on some silk worms but hes been devouring Dubai’s now.

Ive also gained his trust enough to have him eat on my hand and come out onto my hand to eat. It’s been very rewarding. He also finally got some nice live plants in his enclosure. It’s been a long journey but we’re making progress! I’m very glad I’ve been able to successfully take care of him and give him a better home.

B9491EED-B865-476C-8AA4-B36032D84C18.jpeg
Here’s a photo of him from yesterday while I cleaned his cage. A big beautiful boy ❤️.

Back
Top Bottom