Chameleon died over night???

well CLEARLY you didn’t read the facts before stating your opinion. when someone is upset about their pet passing, you’re supposed to help them. not tell them it’s THEIR FAULT. feedback is helping, not making the person more upset than they already are. We took care of her for 6 months, clearly we did something right.
Well when the death of an animal is the result of human error, you will have to buck up and realize that it is indeed your fault and make the choice to either correct your errors or to be neglectful and get another chameleon without changing your ways of husbandry.

We are caretakers, not owners of these animals, the job of a caretaker is to take care of the animals the best we can. Looking at your set up, I can inform you that the enclosure is not the best for chameleons. So are you doing your part as a good caretaker?

There’s also no reason to pick fights with someone who is taking time out of their day AND is giving you good information that is FREE mind you that. If you can’t take criticism on how you care for your animals then why would you ask what was wrong in the first place? Criticism is necessary for animal care because it’s not just you who is suffering emotionally, but it could be the next reptile you get who also suffers if you decide to ignore the advice given.

Take it or leave it, that is your decision.

well CLEARLY you didn’t read the facts before stating your opinion. when someone is upset about their pet passing, you’re supposed to help them. not tell them it’s THEIR FAULT. feedback is helping, not making the person more upset than they already are. We took care of her for 6 months, clearly we did something right.
Feedback is pointing out the areas of concern. Especially when it comes to improper housing. I NEVER once said it was your fault. I was identifying areas of concern.... I am not going to sugar coat it either and lie to you. In the post I did prior I put this....

"It could also be that she was already ill when you purchased her. Chameleons hide illness quite well. They can appear totally fine to the newbie eye and then go down within a day. Stress can also lower their immune system causing them to go down rapidly.

I am sorry for your loss. Should you decide to get another chameleon I would read through every module of this husbandry program. You would not want to use this aquarium for another chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/"

Never was there blame on you. But YES husbandry can contribute to health issues. Especially when it comes to how they are housed. You said you lost one prior. So by me not pointing out the areas that can impact them living or dying if you were to go get another cham and house it in the same way then your risking another death. NOT a long life.

Now I am sorry for your loss. You asked for feedback. We all have given honest feedback. Just because your not open to the whole picture does not make it our fault for being honest. I in no way was rude to you. But you felt the need to lash out. MBD is internal... Slow. Painful. And often slow to show signs. IN FACT the only way to tell is with xrays early on in the disease. This is caused by having incorrect UVB lighting and incorrect supplementation.

And I wish you the best in your healing process. We do not take chams dying here lightly. And your post was the 3rd one in a single day.

Hun she was trying to help you figure out why your Cham died. Of course it could have been something beyond your control but the most obvious reasons could be in your husbandry. These are the only things we can see from our perspective. We are all very sorry this happened to you and your Cham. It’s a horrible thing. I personally have lost two chams due to my husbandry years ago because I didn’t have the right information. someone has given you all the wrong information and that’s not your fault. What is is if you don’t take the info beman has given you and try to make the very best enclosure which is screen and the size 24x24x48 with all live plants, the right lighting and the right foods etc. if and when you get another Cham. I wish you all the best!

So sorry you lost your chameleon. It's always sad when we lose one.

You said..."when someone is upset about their pet passing, you’re supposed to help them. not tell them it’s THEIR FAULT. feedback is helping, not making the person more upset than they already are. We took care of her for 6 months, clearly we did something right"...so it's better for us to tell you "there, there now...you did everything you could"...rather than help you so that the next chameleon you get doesn't die on you as well?

In the first photo you posted, she's holding in her tummy in a way that often indicates the chameleon is having a a problem.
There are definite changes that should be made to the caging as has been indicated by others.

However there is no real indication of what happened...there are too many possibilities of what it could have been. We don't know how old she was...she was likely wild caught so may have had parasites...the fountain may have had germs in it she couldn't handle...you don't have the right UVB light...you didn't create proper airflow by having the basking light on one end of the cage...she could have picked up bits of stuff from the cage flooring or accidentally ingested a fake leaf...was she tested for parasites, etc.

It's sad that you lost your chameleon but if you want to get another sometime then it's important to make improvements and learn from their experince. I know it's not easy....but it's necessary. We e all made mistakes and regret them but we have to learn from them and move on.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I know what an emotional situation this can be.
We are all here trying to improve the care and husbandry for our animals and help others as we learn more ourselves.
None of us was born knowing any of this and are all works in progress.

Just one note for now when chameleons pass away they begin to blacken so what you may have observed was most likely due to a postmortem color change. It is unusual for chameleons to fall at night as they tend to lock on to whatever they are holding when they sleep much like birds.
If you feel up to it sometime we can help you learn more about their care.

Peace for now and may your memories of her come to bring you joy.

So Sorry for your loss
Looking at your enclosure picture i cant see any real plants, if you choose to get another chameleon i would look into a more naturalistic environment.
The reason I'm saying this is plastic plants and artificial vines harbor bacteria so do the water fountains are notorious for going funky. These require a very regular cleaning and sanitising regime(the water fountain daily). Real plants however shed and replace there cells like we do skin not allowing toxic build up so much. If you discover any pinky looking stuff on your décor i would hazard a bet this has overcome your chameleon immune system providing other areas if husbandry are upto scratch (lighting uv & heating feeders, supplements & hydration are correct)

So Sorry for your loss
Looking at your enclosure picture i cant see any real plants, if you choose to get another chameleon i would look into a more naturalistic environment.
The reason I'm saying this is plastic plants and artificial vines harbor bacteria so do the water fountains are notorious for going funky. These require a very regular cleaning and sanitising regime(the water fountain daily). Real plants however shed and replace there cells like we do skin not allowing toxic build up so much. If you discover any pinky looking stuff on your décor i would hazard a bet this has overcome your chameleon immune system providing other areas if husbandry are upto scratch (lighting uv & heating feeders, supplements & hydration are correct)
thank you for your helpful response

So sorry you lost your chameleon. It's always sad when we lose one.

You said..."when someone is upset about their pet passing, you’re supposed to help them. not tell them it’s THEIR FAULT. feedback is helping, not making the person more upset than they already are. We took care of her for 6 months, clearly we did something right"...so it's better for us to tell you "there, there now...you did everything you could"...rather than help you so that the next chameleon you get doesn't die on you as well?

In the first photo you posted, she's holding in her tummy in a way that often indicates the chameleon is having a a problem.
There are definite changes that should be made to the caging as has been indicated by others.

However there is no real indication of what happened...there are too many possibilities of what it could have been. We don't know how old she was...she was likely wild caught so may have had parasites...the fountain may have had germs in it she couldn't handle...you don't have the right UVB light...you didn't create proper airflow by having the basking light on one end of the cage...she could have picked up bits of stuff from the cage flooring or accidentally ingested a fake leaf...was she tested for parasites, etc.

It's sad that you lost your chameleon but if you want to get another sometime then it's important to make improvements and learn from their experince. I know it's not easy....but it's necessary. We e all made mistakes and regret them but we have to learn from them and move on.
the light we kept on one side!! it was just there from getting her out. the flooring is a mat, cannot be ingested , no pieces come off. we had her 6 months wouldn’t a parasite affected her sooner?

They can often live for months with a parasite.
Sometimes stress makes the parasites "bloom" (increase rapidly in numbers).

Can't be sure why your chameleon dies, but like I said, the way she was holding her tummy in in the one photo you posted, there was something going on.

the light we kept on one side!! it was just there from getting her out. the flooring is a mat, cannot be ingested , no pieces come off. we had her 6 months wouldn’t a parasite affected her sooner?
Sadly there were a lot of things wrong with ur husbandry and you have to own up to it but we are all trying to help you in case you get another one.

First, I'm sorry for the loss of your cham. Second, quit being so defensive and rude to the ppl who have taken time to try to help you. They really, really are able to help and their knowledge is invaluable. You posted to get help and feedback. Please be open to it .

I think you need to reread @bemans comments. She is trying to give you info. Please don't be so defensive, as nothing was negative towards you personally.

Simple question. Where did she come from? There have been a number of senagal chameleons for sale, all wild caught. These are imported and dropping in price. We can guess that these came from on large import , probably farmed. Either way the low and dropping price over the last 6 months suggests health issues in the group.
They do hide illnesses well, this chameleon may have been ill from the get go.

Listen to what has been said. These are some very experienced keepers helping you. It can be hard. My son had a starling he had raised. He woke up to find him dead. We hand raised him for the last 8 weeks but he was young and starved. I left for work and he was fine. We did not understand their very high nutritional needs and without insects and fruit on the ready he did not make it till noon. This was today. As much as it hurts I tell you this because I know those you were upset by and I know they did not mean to make you feel hurt, but the words are true it just gets difficult to analyze care and not upset people. Nobody is intentionally providing bad care, we are all doing our best with what we have and what we have learned.

hmm, congenital defect? Its possible there was a malformed organ that was just good enough to support a certain body weight, and after that its a system failure.

Other than that, ive only seen this with respiratory infections. It could be as simple as "chameleon holding nose up in the air for extended time" which i didnt know was a thing till recently. Normally its a popping noise several times a minute, and some drool.

Back
Top Bottom