Chameleon delivered with problem; Help

BbyK4y

I bought a male, around 7 month old, flap neck chameleon from a company which is located in California and I'm located in Florida. It was shipped 5pm last night and got to my house at 9:30am.

First issue, I was not home to put it in the cage and open the box my dad was but he said he was fine. I got home around 2pm and realized one of his toes is broken as you can see in the photo.

Foot on the left in the photo the toe is completely bent the wrong way barely even connected to the foot anymore where the foot in the right of the photo is what his foot should look like. He walks fine, sometimes lifts that specific foot off the branch so I'm not sure besides obviously, possibly, go to the vet and see if they should just remove it or what. The wound of where it broke is already scabbing so I think it will heal fine.

Second issue, he's had this patch on his face / chin area that is gooey to the touch and I'm not sure if he's missing a patch or scales or? This isn't my first chameleon but its my first time ordering one and having it delivered.

I called the company about both issues and was told to send photos, I did, and that they would get back to me but they haven't. I don't want to send him back.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 337
  • securedownload-1.jpg
    securedownload-1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 320
Are you here to give advice or harass me? I explained on a previous post the situation. I'm not going to apologize that you can't understand.

I bought a male, around 7 month old, flap neck chameleon from a company which is located in California and I'm located in Florida. It was shipped 5pm last night and got to my house at 9:30am.

First issue, I was not home to put it in the cage and open the box my dad was but he said he was fine. I got home around 2pm and realized one of his toes is broken as you can see in the photo.

Foot on the left in the photo the toe is completely bent the wrong way barely even connected to the foot anymore where the foot in the right of the photo is what his foot should look like. He walks fine, sometimes lifts that specific foot off the branch so I'm not sure besides obviously, possibly, go to the vet and see if they should just remove it or what. The wound of where it broke is already scabbing so I think it will heal fine.

Second issue, he's had this patch on his face / chin area that is gooey to the touch and I'm not sure if he's missing a patch or scales or? This isn't my first chameleon but its my first time ordering one and having it delivered.

I called the company about both issues and was told to send photos, I did, and that they would get back to me but they haven't. I don't want to send him back.

I'm not a vet by no means, nor a expert, but I do tons of research

1. The head looks likes he has thermal burns from a heat lamp. Due to oozing and black color

2. The toe looks like a abscess

I would recommend a herp vet visit asap.

Like I said I'm not a expert, I've just read more on abscess, than broken toes. It might be broken , I'm just giving my view on it. A vet's view on it would be much much better though

Thanks. I'm going to talk to a vet tomorrow. He's either a wild caught or poorly watched / taken care of at the company I got him from.

I really think that is a burn on his head though so I dont think he is wild captured , where did you get him?

More than likely a Wild Caught. The marks on the face look more like rubbing to me, which indicates trying to escape. Burn or rub, both are very common with Wild Caught.

More than likely a Wild Caught. The marks on the face look more like rubbing to me, which indicates trying to escape. Burn or rub, both are very common with Wild Caught.

I never thought about rubbing ! Well like I said , I'm always learning, and not a expert !

IMHO these sorts of injuries happen with wildcaught imports fairly often. Not sure what happened with the toe, but it could have gotten caught in rough cage mesh or crushed by the lid of a container or net. I'd have a vet remove the damaged toe tip and suture to help it heal faster (and ease his pain) and deal with the infection in the other toe (swollen one). The injury on its face looks like a classic nose rub...he was trying to get out of some type of confined space and rubbed over and over. Treat it with a topical antibiotic and it should heal OK. Might leave a scar. If a cham has all sorts of little rubs, nicks, scabs or scars on the pads of its feet, tail, rostral crests, or spine it is most likely a wildcaught cham showing the evidence of its harder life before capture.

From that picture, I would agree that it looks more like rubbing. If he is a wild caught he may have rubbed his head and damaged his toenails on the screen trying to escape.

Although I am also not an expert, from what I've read the toenails will fall off if they have been damaged sufficiently and will not grow back. This should not cause him too many problems, but I would be more worried about an infection especially since his foot looks swollen in that picture. An infection would require antibiotic from a vet.

Could you post a picture of his entire body and cage in higher resolutions if possible?

Back
Top Bottom