Chameleon colours

Hey all,

I have a 10 month old male panther chameleon. He’s super healthy, super happy, and all around doing exceptional. But, he has yet to display bright colour patterns like his Dad.
The attached photos show his most recent colouring, which is what he looks like 98% of the time. Beyond that he has yet to display any orange on his middle section or any dark blues. Also attached are photos of his Dad as a compari

I was wondering if this was normal for his age and when he’ll start to display more colours.
thanks!

Attachments

• E373A38E-80B4-467D-9B59-529B54B56B42.jpeg
    E373A38E-80B4-467D-9B59-529B54B56B42.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 4B771E4C-CD67-425D-9CEA-A95DEA60A73E.jpeg
    4B771E4C-CD67-425D-9CEA-A95DEA60A73E.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 02838532-7694-4EC9-8F59-385FE5011AAD.jpeg
    02838532-7694-4EC9-8F59-385FE5011AAD.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 63314027-94B4-460E-B17F-29E0AFC92B57.jpeg
    63314027-94B4-460E-B17F-29E0AFC92B57.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 118
Chams don't always turn out exactly the way their parents did, or the way breeders tell you they will look. He may change in color slightly but you also have to remember that panthers in particular change drastically from chilling, basking, or being territorial, that being said, the picture of his dad could be when he was angry and when he is chilling, he may look just like your guy. To sum all that up, you cant expect him to look exactly like his dad, no matter what age he is. 🙂

Chams don't always turn out exactly the way their parents did, or the way breeders tell you they will look. He may change in color slightly but you also have to remember that panthers in particular change drastically from chilling, basking, or being territorial, that being said, the picture of his dad could be when he was angry and when he is chilling, he may look just like your guy. To sum all that up, you cant expect him to look exactly like his dad, no matter what age he is. 🙂
Haha, great points. He’s still a handsome boy, so it’s not like I’m concerned or anything. Just wondering if he will develop more colour or not

I’m noticing some signs of MBD in your chameleon’s front legs. Do you mind filling out the husbandry form, so we can make sure he’s healthy?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m noticing some signs of MBD in your chameleon’s front legs. Do you mind filling out the husbandry form, so we can make sure he’s healthy?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
--------------

Please Note:
I’m not really sure what you’re seeing as in person I can see absolutely zero signs of MBD, but I’ve filled out the chart anyways.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?- Male Cham, I’ve had him for about 6 months now

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? A couple times per week. He’ll run out onto my arm and hang out for a bit before I put him back

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? His staple food are gut loaded black solider fly larvae, but he also gets gut loaded crickets, and the occasional super worm/horned worm/wax worm treat
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? So, his bugs get dusted with calcium 6 days a week and on the 7th I alternate between D3 and a multi vitamin

• I have a drip system set up and I mist multiple times during the day to keep the humidity levels up
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nice and dark brown, with white urates
  • He’s always been a healthy and happy boy

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? My cage is screen and custom built. It’s about 55” x 36”
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a proper UVB tube light that is on for 12 hours a day
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot has a nice range of 78-89 degrees
  • Lowest temp over night is 73-75 and the tank is quite large so there is a great temp gradient for whatever he needs
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a massive pothole and ivy plant that help maintain humidity, but it usually stays around 60-70% and I let it dry out a bit during mid day so no moods grow anywhere
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a pothos and common ivy plant
  • Cage is in the middle of of a low traffic room raised up on a stand
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in Canada

I’m not really sure what you’re seeing as in person I can see absolutely zero signs of MBD, but I’ve filled out the chart anyways.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?- Male Cham, I’ve had him for about 6 months now

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? A couple times per week. He’ll run out onto my arm and hang out for a bit before I put him back

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? His staple food are gut loaded black solider fly larvae, but he also gets gut loaded crickets, and the occasional super worm/horned worm/wax worm treat
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? So, his bugs get dusted with calcium 6 days a week and on the 7th I alternate between D3 and a multi vitamin

• I have a drip system set up and I mist multiple times during the day to keep the humidity levels up
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Nice and dark brown, with white urates
  • He’s always been a healthy and happy boy

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? My cage is screen and custom built. It’s about 55” x 36”
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a proper UVB tube light that is on for 12 hours a day
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot has a nice range of 78-89 degrees
  • Lowest temp over night is 73-75 and the tank is quite large so there is a great temp gradient for whatever he needs
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a massive pothole and ivy plant that help maintain humidity, but it usually stays around 60-70% and I let it dry out a bit during mid day so no moods grow anywhere
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a pothos and common ivy plant
  • Cage is in the middle of of a low traffic room raised up on a stand
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I’m in Canada
As some added info my Cham is very active and shows excellent climbing ability and strength. So I’m pretty much 100% positive he has no MBD. Especially since he’s been getting consistent vitamin/calcium intake and 12 hours of strong UVB his entire life. It’s just not a possibility.

As some added info my Cham is very active and shows excellent climbing ability and strength. So I’m pretty much 100% positive he has no MBD. Especially since he’s been getting consistent vitamin/calcium intake and 12 hours of strong UVB his entire life. It’s just not a possibility.
I honestly don't see any mbd signs, your supplements look good, what uvb do you have? T5 or t8? 5.0 or 10.0?

As a new member who has been just browsing the forums over the last month since I've gotten a chameleon myself I've noticed users here jump at the opportunity to diagnose MBD and review your care info.

I mean I understand that they have to deal with tons of new members who are unknowingly not giving their pets the ideal care but sometimes it does seem aggressive and as if they are looking for wrong practices to point out.

Beautiful chameleon btw!

As a new member who has been just browsing the forums over the last month since I've gotten a chameleon myself I've noticed users here jump at the opportunity to diagnose MBD and review your care info.

I mean I understand that they have to deal with tons of new members who are unknowingly not giving their pets the ideal care but sometimes it does seem aggressive.

Beautiful chameleon btw!
Thanks! Yeah I know my stuff super duper well, so my Cham is getting proper care.
Ok, keep in mind that a 10.0 is stronger than a 5.0, so you do have to be careful, he look healthy to me though, pretty too.
Ok, keep in mind that a 10.0 is stronger than a 5.0, so you do have to be careful, he look healthy to me though, pretty too.
Yeah I know, it’s just a very large enclosure so the 10.0 helps to make sure he gets proper UVB. Thanks though!

Back
Top Bottom