Chameleon CLAWS

dakotakleiner

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about chameleon claws or whatever they are called. However now that my chameleons almost trippeled in size and strength his claws are very painful when holding him. I know their is probably nothing I can do and I couldn't even imagine doing something about it because it would probably be a pain

Hah! I know what you mean.. my little girl has a tendency to crawl on my face and sometimes they really dig in there.. it's not really painfull but I can imagine that it could be if she was bigger/stronger.

It might help if you wear gloves of some sort when handling him or only letting him crawl on areas of your body that are covered (long sleeved shirts etc)

I've heard some chams HATE gloves so you'd have to try it out to see if he'd even let you lol

Those nails are sharp aren't they? I've had a male veiled pierce the palm of my hand as he was holding on so tightly! He saw a dog and held on as if his life depended on it! :D Unfortunately, you just have to grin and bear it - they need those nails to grip branches, etc so don't be tempted to cut them!

Ya for sure I would never cut them lol

Those nails are sharp aren't they? I've had a male veiled pierce the palm of my hand as he was holding on so tightly! He saw a dog and held on as if his life depended on it! :D Unfortunately, you just have to grin and bear it - they need those nails to grip branches, etc so don't be tempted to cut them!

I know what you mean about the claws. My mellers is a killer when I am holding him. He leaves marks all the time from his claws. As Miss Lily said you just have to grin and bear it.

Yip they hurt, when i first got Mia she had me covered in scratches, i looked like i'd been fighting with a rose bush or something like that. :p She doesn't dig in as much now, maybe she knows it hurts me. I know thats daft, but any way she has made my lip and nose bleed in the past when she decided to clamp her hands together with my poor nose and lip in between them. Lol

Long sleeves for me... though Peanut very rearly chooses to climb on me. She knows i use a big plant when i want her to come out.

yea, my veiled was pretty harsh with his claws, but its weird cuz the quad i now have is really nothing. i mean, you can feel it and sometimes he'll grab harder, but its not a pain at all.

I didn't even think about sharp nails til I saw this thread lol.
Marley is too young for me to feel a really strong grip (6 months) but he's quite big so now I'm just imagining it in the future! :eek:

You have to look at the bright side of this. If they have a strong grip that is one of the signs of a healthy chameleon.:D

You have to look at the bright side of this. If they have a strong grip that is one of the signs of a healthy chameleon.:D

That's the first thing that always comes to mind!! My guys and girls are always leaving scratches on my hands and arms and its okay because I know they are really healthy! I even had someone at work ask me if I had gotten a new kitten and when I replied, nope, one my chameleons did that, they looked at me like I had two heads - people think you're weird if they aren't reptile friendly themselves!!

this isnt my chameleon but i just thought it would be a good picture to post for this thread :D

chameleonfoot.jpg

same as everyone else has said Mista grips like a vice!He has pierced the skin between my fingers a couple of times.
i find if i tense up with pain he tends to grip harder so i "try"and conciously relax so he does.
lil monsters gotta love them lol

Back
Top Bottom