Chameleon Chat???

Hello all,
been a while since there have been any scheduled chameleon chats. Is there any people interested in having a focus discussion on any particular topic? These seem to be good sources to get ideas on what animals people are working with, health concerns, breeding, caging, etc. I am interested if others are!

I don't feel that breeding would be as usefull to a large enough demographic of "new comers" and "new keepers", which should always be focussed on in our community. Perhaps Caging and General husbandry would be the best suited, as after all, this is the route of nearly all problems seen in chameleons.

A later date could be confirmed for Feeding perhaps, with focus on which foods to feed, how much they should consume, and most importantly, 'the importance of gutloading'

I don't feel that breeding would be as usefull to a large enough demographic of "new comers" and "new keepers", which should always be focussed on in our community. Perhaps Caging and General husbandry would be the best suited, as after all, this is the route of nearly all problems seen in chameleons.

A later date could be confirmed for Feeding perhaps, with focus on which foods to feed, how much they should consume, and most importantly, 'the importance of gutloading'

good point...i understand.

That's a great idea Zerah, especially since I've been seeing a lot of repeat questions asked here lately. I'd be interested in participating as well.

Good Idea

That is a great idea Zerah... It could be helpful to a lot of new and old owners of chameleons. No matter what, we learn something new everyday about these fantastic creatures!

Well if enough are interested maybe Brad would be so kind as to create a poll for the topic of discussion. Once selected you guys could elect a few "facilitators" and set the date and time of the chat. Sounds like a more organized way of doing it then we have done in the past.

chiacchierata del chameleon

Hello all,
been a while since there have been any scheduled chameleon chats. Is there any people interested in having a focus discussion on any particular topic? These seem to be good sources to get ideas on what animals people are working with, health concerns, breeding, caging, etc. I am interested if others are!

I usually try to schedule a chat for the first and third Thursday of each month. To date they have all been open topic and the turnout is frequently low. There was not a chat two weeks ago due to thanksgiving. Also, due to the recent low turnouts and my currently busy schedule I never scheduled a chat for tonight.

A focused discussion would be great. An archive of focused chat logs would be very nice as well. The problem is that some people can not access the chat room using the website. We have tried an alternative (gabbly) that works well, but it does not offer moderation or permission settings. Moderation would be needed with a focused chat of more than a dozen or two. These are temporary problems, but how temporary I can not say for sure. There are many other features and site improvements that have a higher priority than live chat at the moment.

If everyone wants to come up with a few options I will add a poll to this thread and schedule a live chat. Just keep in mind the limitations listed above. I think I agree with Will, caging or something similar might be appropriate for the first 'focused' chat.

I too would love being a part of the chat if all the stars line up right. Being a newbie, I need all the info I can get.

Ok well since we seem to have enough interest we need to decide on some topics.

my suggestions:

Caging

Lighting

Watering Methods

Supplementation

Husbandry 101 (Beginners Only)

Please add a few or delete a few and lets get a list together for Brads poll.

i also would love to be involved with the chat, after visiting the vet yesterday i have been put right back in my place, i thought i have been doing things well and i had a decent system down but my female jackson has calcuim deficiency (or at least that what the x-ray looks like, i am still waiting on blood work) so i am pretty sure i need to correct something

how about dusting/supplements-how much and how often for another topic

drew
as far as that new chameleon owner you don't have nearly enough info for at least a thought, diet?, lighting?, caging?, gutload/supplements?!! if you look over past threads you will see an outline for information needed for a question.

To expand on Zerah's suggestions, I will add somethings that I feel should be mentioned for each division of the chat. I've bolded everything that I have added.

Caging
-How ambient climate will affect cage design
-Sized cages for sizes of chameleons.
-How to differently cage; pygmys, montane species, savanna sp. etc.

Heating
-Gradients in Cage heating.
-How to heat; pygmys, montane species, savanna sp. etc.

Lighting
-Why UV is deemed a must have, & what your chameleons receive from it.
-Options for providing Ultraviolet & which are appropriate.
-Lighting for plants.

Watering Methods
-The three types of watering: Humidity, Dripping, and misting.
-Which are needed, and which can be replaced.
-DIY

Supplementation

Husbandry 101 (Beginners Only)

Back
Top Bottom