Chameleon cannibalism?!!! (Video)

Not sure if everyone was paying attention when they were talking in the beginning of this video but in the very beginning the kid says "He Ate the other One!!!!" :eek:

Ahhh My God!!!!!!!! If I knew them I would give them a good Slapping!!!

How could someone be that Ignorant to put ANOTHER Chameleon with him!!!!!

Something must be wrong with them....Seriously!

This is Sooo Sickning...

Absolutely disgusting... the people.

I mean how stupid and ignorant can you be??? The kids in the background are LAUGHING... Also the male is probably going to die now, either from impaction or too much animal protein. It is obviously improperly cared for. The NERVE some people... This shows the consequences of ignorance and lack of preparedness.

Linus accidentally tried to eat his girlfriend.

so, a few years ago i didn't know as much as i do now. I actually take time to learn and research.

Linus was my male panther, i had in a free range tree and fed him crickets by cup. I thought he was done. he stopped and walked away.

I added more crickets to the container and brought his girlfriend to the party to eat.

Little did i know, the girlfriend eating crickets would entice him to go after some more crickets. (I am convinced he wasn't trying to eat her, but she had a juicy cricket dangling from her mouth).

Linus just had her head in his mouth and it was a pain to pry his mouth open to get her out.

hlQgfl.jpg

ffAZal.jpg

She lived and i got her to the vet and she had some eye damage, but was ok. Thank GOD! Abby was a trooper!

Now from my experience (the hard way),..... I don't like to feed together really, but if so i def. supervise more closely. I also like to make sure everyone is fed and happy not hungry when i let them hang in the free range together. I don't need anymore accidents!

I can't believe these people! It pains me to see cruelty. I started a Rescue and want to educate people, so some can learn from my experiences, but sometimes you have to make mistakes to really learn and remember.

I believe in Karma, I can't police anyone, so i just hope that those who are cruel will get what is deserving of them. Those poor little chameleons! SAD, JUST SAD :(

Oh, poor Abby! I suspect many of us have some really bad stories about things that taught us lessons. I read an interview once, with Jim Flaherty where he said:
As a close friend with decades of chameleon experience loves to tell me "The true experience of anyone who claims to a chameleon expert can be measured in how many they have killed . the higher the number, the more expert they are". Its pretty damn true, although the best "experts" try to learn quickly, lest we kill all of our chameleons !

Abby didn't die, thankfully. The "learned something" experience combined with "I didn't kill my chameleon" is the best experience.

It's ridiculous to me because they sound around my age (16) I assume they are 14-15, and completely incompetent to the keeping of these beautiful animals. I have always loved chameleon from the beginning of keeping reptiles which was around 8 years ago. And at the age of 8 I knew I would get a chameleon someday but I'm to young to understand and care properly for chams. and these morons are 14-15 and still don't understand that.If I was to have that happen to me I wouldn't even be able to live with myself, if anyone of my lizards let alone a chameleon would be eating another. It blows my mind how they can stand there and let it happen. I would do anything to save the poor thing :( as said earlier not see it, grab a camera and immediately think I'm posting it on youtube! I have a youtube channel based around reptiles and art and I would feel bad posting anything to this degree. I think the general lesson learned from this beginner to the noobies out there is NEVER EVER KEEP THEM TOGETHER. Anyone who did any ounce or research would have learned this fact. The video makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh, poor Abby! I suspect many of us have some really bad stories about things that taught us lessons. I read an interview once, with Jim Flaherty where he said:

Abby didn't die, thankfully. The "learned something" experience combined with "I didn't kill my chameleon" is the best experience.

I really appreciate Jim Flahertys quote. I will be looking him up, cause i want to read more about him. If i can't find anything, please post where i can find more info on him.

I am no expert, but i have a ton of photos and had numerous chameleons die and couldn't figure out what happened, but i am a better keeper and into research now because of it, learned to work with several vets too! I have domain names and waiting to start my own site, but for now i have case studies on facebook of each chameleon.

Facebook: Chameleon Rescue

Eventually, i want to write a book or my site where you can see photos, stories, charts on weights,fecals, temps ect. and microscope photos of bacteria ect on each case, to help vets and chameleon owners with my experiences, so hopefully in the next 40 years or so, i can accumulate a ton of info that could help save lives! :):D

I've go nothing bad to say anything about people who have more than one cham. In fact i think i those who can make a good home for them and give them happy live are absolutely fantastic people. But, after seeing the video and pictures of chams eating other chams i will never have more than one. I don't know what i would do if i saw a cham eating another cham.

I was just thinking that! I've seen this fool on here before, someone point him out!!!!!
I've searched and found two members having exo terra with buddha in the background, but none of them was the one. So I take back what I said, maybe I haven't seen him/her here. Or maybe I did just cannot find him.:rolleyes:

Sad video. But there are so many people who don't care about those Chams. In all over middle east, people tend to through Veileds into fire for some kind of supersticious belief. Most of the pet shops keep them in similar miserable environments.

I've go nothing bad to say anything about people who have more than one cham. In fact i think i those who can make a good home for them and give them happy live are absolutely fantastic people. But, after seeing the video and pictures of chams eating other chams i will never have more than one. I don't know what i would do if i saw a cham eating another cham.

As long as you don't keep them in the same enclosure, there's no danger of one eating the other. I have two that are within inches of each other but have no idea because there's a black plastic wall separating their enclosures.

I have never known of a Chameleon eating another? That is totally disgusting and cruel for her to laugh about it. That Chameleon had NO business being in that enclosure with the MUCH older one. It looked to be a young one, now what's going to happen to this older Chameleon? You know that can't be healthy and how is he going to digest the other Chameleon? People now a days are just horrible..

HOLT CRAP, so many replies! I'm sorry for starting this thread, didn't realize how many people I would piss off. Yea, when I found this video, first thought that came to me is that the owner really didn't do their research before buying those chams. I'm glad I found this forum, lots of information that I must gather before buying one. I will definitely won't make this mistake and hope you guys won't either, lesson learned. Thanks for your input everyone!

Sickening

This is an amateur mistake. Chameleons should never be caged with other chameleons, much less a larger adult with what looked like a much smaller one. This person is not fit to own a chameleon. The enclosure they have is not even large enough for the adult chameleon alone. I would consider this complete neglect on part of the smaller chameleon. It just makes me sick knowing some chameleons fall into the hands of such unfit owners. :mad:

I would feed my chams little anoles or small geckos if i lived in a warmer climate and i could just find them outside. they eat small lizards and birds etc. in the wild. It not gross its nature.
I don't believe this was intended by the owners. They were placed in the enclosure together and anything alive that is small enough to fit in the mouth will be eaten by a veiled if it is hungry enough. There was a total lack of understanding by the owners, a potentially fatal error in the captive care of a chameleon. I too would feed my chameleon small lizards if they were abundant in the area I live, but I'd never feed a young chameleon to another chameleon ever. You are correct about the nature aspect of this, but it is unnecessary. You do not let your hungry cat eat your other cat alive do you?

wow. wow! just wow.

i personally have no problems at all believing the video based on the distended abdomen on the veiled and the perfectly natural upside down remnant of a dead lizard hanging out. this wasn't "stuffed in" his mouth; he would have been going crazy trying to get it out. was the eaten one a veiled? that i dunno, but i definitely think it was a good-size cham.

however, i would be very surprised to ever find out that the veiled was able to keep it down without regurgitating due to the size of the prey, and certainly it does't help to have a camera stuck in its face when it was trying to eat. but he looks pretty maxed out in terms of gastric space and there was a LOT more to go, nevermind what was still in his esophagus and mouth. i'm sure plenty of people here have had at least a snake if not a lizard that overdid it and regurgitated since they couldn't stomach it; it's not uncommon.

with that being said, reptiles eating monstrous meals does happen all the time, so it's possible (but i still think unlikely) that it stayed down. if so, he probably didn't eat for another 6-8 weeks afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom