Chameleon cannibalism?!!! (Video)

WOW the ignorance of people, this just pisses me off...People should be taking an exam to see if they are fit to even have a chameleon...And like some people in society whether they should have kids like these...makes me sick

They're just kids. Yes ,they're ignorant, but obviously they didn't know any better. I know I didn't when I was a kid. I was fortunate to run into this website while doing some research on the Jackson Chameleon I bought for my kids. If it wasn't for this website, I would have never learned as much about Chameleon care as I had known previously. I've owned several other reptiles in my life and one chameleon when I was a kid, so I when I purchase my first chameleon as an adult, most of my information came from the pet shop owner I bought my chameleon from. With just a week's worth of research I realized I had caring for my chameleon completely wrong. As a kid, I didn't do any research. All my info came from the book I got from the pet shop, the pet stop personnel, and the care sheet I got. So, No, I don't think you need an exam to be a chameleon owner. As a matter of fact, I bought a Veiled Chameleon at a reptile show a couple months back. I told the vendor I wanted a Veiled Chameleon, he picked it up, put it in a box, and sold it to me. No questions asked.

Ya i cant see the victims feet clearly but it looks like an anole.

Either way it is an odd display of buddhism...

I agree. There is a Video of someone feeding an anole to their Veiled Chameleon on Youtube.

I finally broke down and watched it because of all the questions. I think you can see the victim's feet quite clearly and they do not look like anole feet...they look like chameleon feet. I did a screen cap, cropped it down to JUST THE FEET (so, you do not see anything else) and put it on my photobucket account. Here's a link if you want to look: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/Elizadolots/feet.jpg

The thing I really question is the tail....that looks more like a Fischer's tail than a veiled. Veiled tales aren't that long are they? If they are, why do people get so excited by Fischer's? Also, that would fit better with the overall size question.

If, in fact, it's a legit video, I do have to wonder about someone who, on seeing one pet eating another pet immediately thinks: "ooo! I'm gonna post this on YouTube!" That just seems wrong to me. Grieve a little, beat yourself up a little, warn others not to do the stupid thing you've done, but don't go grab the video camera so you can memorialize it.

I finally broke down and watched it because of all the questions. I think you can see the victim's feet quite clearly and they do not look like anole feet...they look like chameleon feet. I did a screen cap, cropped it down to JUST THE FEET (so, you do not see anything else) and put it on my photobucket account. Here's a link if you want to look: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/Elizadolots/feet.jpg

The thing I really question is the tail....that looks more like a Fischer's tail than a veiled. Veiled tales aren't that long are they? If they are, why do people get so excited by Fischer's? Also, that would fit better with the overall size question.

If, in fact, it's a legit video, I do have to wonder about someone who, on seeing one pet eating another pet immediately thinks: "ooo! I'm gonna post this on YouTube!" That just seems wrong to me. Grieve a little, beat yourself up a little, warn others not to do the stupid thing you've done, but don't go grab the video camera so you can memorialize it.

Yeah, the tail bothers me. Also, look at the part of the tail closest to the mouth- looks skinny. Seems to have almost the same width all the way from the base to the tip. My veiled's tail is fat at the base and progressively gets thinner. Maybe its the angle.

Oh well.

Yeah, the tail bothers me. Also, look at the part of the tail closest to the mouth- looks skinny. Seems to have almost the same width all the way from the base to the tip. My veiled's tail is fat at the base and progressively gets thinner. Maybe its the angle.

Oh well.

Could be the angle, could be an unusual species, the most straightforward explanation (from someone who has nursed 3 majorly malnourished, dehydrated chameleons to their inevitable deaths) is that one malnourished chameleon bought from a large pet store and fed an inadequate diet ended up eating a smaller chameleon, bought from the same pet store, and similarly badly fed. Their tails are very good indicators of how healthy they are. A skinny tail will look longer just because it's so thin.

They're just kids. Yes ,they're ignorant, but obviously they didn't know any better. I know I didn't when I was a kid. I was fortunate to run into this website while doing some research on the Jackson Chameleon I bought for my kids. If it wasn't for this website, I would have never learned as much about Chameleon care as I had known previously. I've owned several other reptiles in my life and one chameleon when I was a kid, so I when I purchase my first chameleon as an adult, most of my information came from the pet shop owner I bought my chameleon from. With just a week's worth of research I realized I had caring for my chameleon completely wrong. As a kid, I didn't do any research. All my info came from the book I got from the pet shop, the pet stop personnel, and the care sheet I got. So, No, I don't think you need an exam to be a chameleon owner. As a matter of fact, I bought a Veiled Chameleon at a reptile show a couple months back. I told the vendor I wanted a Veiled Chameleon, he picked it up, put it in a box, and sold it to me. No questions asked.

I dont find age an excuse. I got my first chameleon when I was 7. I read books and Got the correct enclosure, food, etc. He lived to be 7. I didnt have this forum, and he did fine. The forum would have been helpful, yes, but I did fine without it.

And it appears that it ate the smallest of the 3 they had together. Yes, chameleons CAN eat huge things, but they can also choke on large food items. I've fed (carefully monitored) huge roaches without issues. Nothing as big as that other chameleon, but they were still huge and above the "space between the eyes" thing.

Oh well.

Here's a picture of a chameleon I no longer own:

21052d1269922467-crew-dolots-crook.jpg

The tail in the video looks more like that than a veiled.

IF thats the case im gonna feed them to an alligator

The veiled actually looks good and not underfed. This is just a perfect case of why not to house animals together. I even keep species who are found in close proximity and considered communal separate.

this is going to sound totally sick and twisted. i was talking about this video at work and one of my coworkers said "are you sure it was the whole body?" i asked what she meant and she said "if someone was sick enough to put it on youtube then maybe they were sick enough to hack off the back portion of the creature and make the cham eat it as to stage what looked like chameleon cannibalism" ....
she makes a point. who ever did this obviously just wants the attention. why not stage it especially if they were the cause of the chameleons death. i thought they could have staged it but with a different lizard or something not what she suggested.... idk. its just a pitiful thing no matter how you look at it :( :(

Why is it now showing that the comments are disabled? There was one comment yesterday, right as the video was posted. Why did this all of the sudden change?

Back
Top Bottom