Chameleon cannibalism?!!! (Video)

I will 3rd it. That's why I like animals more then people :p

I would not have believed a cham could eat something that large!!
This shatters the "dont feed anything larger then the space between
the eyes" rule!! esp after seeing the female before it got eaten in one of
this kid's other videos.
It was a pretty large female cham to be eaten by another of the same species.

Also, what happened to the rest of her, the part that is sticking out of
his mouth, like that long tail!!?? Did he actualy swallow it all??

On the one hand, this video taught me something, on the other hand, this
kid is totally irresponsible, immature, cruel, and plain stupid and should be
smacked hard enough to make him dizzy for a month :mad:

Thanks for warning, cannot watch. Just reading peoples comments have me up in arms! some people simply need an ass whooping!

I would feed my chams little anoles or small geckos if i lived in a warmer climate and i could just find them outside. they eat small lizards and birds etc. in the wild. It not gross its nature.

Vertebrates make up less than 2% of the diet of wild chameleons in the studies I've found analyzing the stomach contents of wild chams. So no, it is not that common. What happens in captivity is not a good representation of what happens in nature. And keeping 3 veiled chameleons together is not common at all. It is highly discouraged and pretty much never successful. I will not watch the video but it sounds like the enclosure was not even large enough for one. Do some research yourself before talking about things you don't know about.

Vertebrates make up less than 2% of the diet of wild chameleons in the studies I've found analyzing the stomach contents of wild chams. So no, it is not that common. What happens in captivity is not a good representation of what happens in nature. And keeping 3 veiled chameleons together is not common at all. It is highly discouraged and pretty much never successful. I will not watch the video but it sounds like the enclosure was not even large enough for one. Do some research yourself before talking about things you don't know about.

Yes, the enclosure was very much too small. It was one of those stupid glass exoterra terrariums they push in the petstores now (the one with the "Buddha" in the background).

I will 3rd it. That's why I like animals more then people :p

I would not have believed a cham could eat something that large!!
This shatters the "dont feed anything larger then the space between
the eyes" rule!! esp after seeing the female before it got eaten in one of
this kid's other videos.
It was a pretty large female cham to be eaten by another of the same species.

Also, what happened to the rest of her, the part that is sticking out of
his mouth, like that long tail!!?? Did he actualy swallow it all??

On the one hand, this video taught me something, on the other hand, this
kid is totally irresponsible, immature, cruel, and plain stupid and should be
smacked hard enough to make him dizzy for a month :mad:

You know, I am having an extremely hard time not believing this is staged somehow. I admit I am not a biologist but I just have a hard time seeing how the male could have swallowed the other chameleon whole like that. I am also noticing that the legs are pointing upward but the tail is hanging off almost straight down. Anyone ever see a chameleon tail do that? Do the bones in the tail move that way?

Something just seems very off about this video. Then again, nature can be very weird.

You know, I am having an extremely hard time not believing this is staged somehow. I admit I am not a biologist but I just have a hard time seeing how the male could have swallowed the other chameleon whole like that. I am also noticing that the legs are pointing upward but the tail is hanging off almost straight down. Anyone ever see a chameleon tail do that? Do the bones in the tail move that way?

Something just seems very off about this video. Then again, nature can be very weird.

i agree. plus the tail seemed very long and very thin. there is something off about it. i cant see how it fit but then again i dont know the size of the eaten cham. just because they housed 3 together in a 18x18x24 enclosure that doesnt mean one of them were the ones eaten, it could have been a new one. they never said its size.
to me it just doesnt make sense. does anyone know if a cham can breath with something in its throat like that? it triggers a disgusting thought that maybe the cham died and they staged that the other one ate it... i dont know. its outright disgusting and totally uncalled for

i agree. plus the tail seemed very long and very thin. there is something off about it. i cant see how it fit but then again i dont know the size of the eaten cham. just because they housed 3 together in a 18x18x24 enclosure that doesnt mean one of them were the ones eaten, it could have been a new one. they never said its size.
to me it just doesnt make sense. does anyone know if a cham can breath with something in its throat like that? it triggers a disgusting thought that maybe the cham died and they staged that the other one ate it... i dont know. its outright disgusting and totally uncalled for

Yeah, that tail is bothersome. The fact that it is hanging like a limp noodle just seems a bit weird. I am wondering if it is a toy and they shoved it into its mouth.

Ok, here is my thought (this is going to tick some people off, fair warning).

Lets assume that the video is in fact real. I am not condoning their husbandy practices- quite the contrary. The video with the 3 chameleons in one terrarium is enough to convince me they are bozos.

Now, what is the consequence of the one chameleon eating another video. Well, it can be argued that a bunch of people are going to pull "monkey see monkey do" and run off to make some idiotic follow-up videos and post them on youtube or just simply put chameleons together for kicks and giggles.

Perhaps, stupid people are just that. My thought is that stupid people are a lost cause. Their husbandry is something of a lost cause. The best we can hope for is that they get bored of their chams and post them to craigslist before too much damage is done- at the very least we hope they get tired of losing lizards and just plain stop trying and move on to something else. So in the grand scheme of things, I doubt this video will have any consequence as far as they are concerned.

Now, for new chameleon people who are genuine. What is the consequence there. They stumble upon that video, watch it, and go "Oh crap! I better not house my chameleons together! The guy at petsmart was wrong- you can't house them together in one tank!" and we on this forum, when people tell us "Oh no, the guy at petsmart said I can have 10 chameleons and an anole and an iguana in the same 30 gallon aquarium no problem", we can point them to the video and leave it at that. This video could be a warning and could be the nessasary evidence to convince people not to be dumb about housing multiple chameleons in one enclosure.

My 2 cents, this video can prove to be a terrific learning opportunity for future good chameleon people if we choose to see it as tragedy turned learning opportunity.

(And again, I am not condoning their practices.)

Last edited:
i agree. its not like we can snap our fingers and make the video disappear and the owners of the chams banned from pet owning. we might as well try and use it to our advantage

Ya i cant see the victims feet clearly but it looks like an anole.

Either way it is an odd display of buddhism...

Back
Top Bottom