chameleon cage

i am planing on making a chameleon cage and i was told by someone that its cheaper to make one with plexy glass but i dont know if this is good to use for a chameleon cage?

Idk about cheaper. You can probably make one out of wood and screen from a hardware store. Or buy the screen frame pieces with screen and put it together.
Plexiglass is expensive

If you are not going to place any major weight on the screen I say go with the metal screen frame and screen from Lowes or home depot. Probably cost you 50-75 bucks to make the entire cage. And secure it with hardware or some screws together. I never made one like this, but I did use the screen frame and screen during making my cage to make a top

if it's a indoor cage where you might need help maintaining humidity then glass or plexi instead of a screened cage might be more beneficial also drainage will be easier to control but you must monitor the temp more carefully specially if it happens to be a hotter day then normal. in my opinion i'd avoid using glass or plexi for outdoor setups regardless if you have a misting system. it really doesn't take much to over heat a chameleon specially when it has less ventilation. as for saving money using plexi, i'm pretty sure using mesh or even steel fencing type screens is more affordable. But if you still insist on using plexi then you might wanna use extruded rather then cast if you are not planning on doing any type of acrylic bending etc... Just a little advise for anyone planning on making there own cage to try and save money unless you already have tools and have some skills using tools you should include the cost of tools in your estimate which might make it cheaper making a premade diy cages in the market.

Plexiglass is on the door of my 2 Chameleon cages, and I would not do it again, as it is in constant need of cleaning. The water spotting is a pain from the splatters.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

I am making a inside homemade cage and I have a friend that said he cuts plexy glass all the time (because that's his job) and he recommended plexy glass because its cheaper than glass and I have the tools to secure it.

Back
Top Bottom