Chameleon cage on the floor?

bigant25

I recently moved my Chamaeleon into the XL repti-breeze cage - I don't really have a spot just yet to prop it up( I'm working on building a shelf ) so for right now the cage is on the floor - I have it set up well with lights /water /plenty of branches and vines to climb etc - however his old cage was about 4 ft off the ground . Is it ok to have the cage on the floor? I read that they instinctively try to climb to the highest point and they don't like to be low to the ground .. He hasn't eaten in 2 days since making the move to his new XL cage . Do you think it's ok to keep on the floor ? Or should I make changes ASAP ? Does anyone else have cage on the floor in their setup? Pros/Cons? Any feedback is appreciated thanks - Anthony

From what I've read they get worried when they're lower than what they see as a threat. So he probably doesn't like being lower than you and in return that might stress him out. I would try to move it up higher and see if that helps him get back to normal. Im defiantly no expect with the topic of cages and cage set up but that seems like it could be bothering him.

I would get it up off the floor. Chameleons like to be high and I would think you'd have a drainage problem with it on the floor. Also it may take him awhile to adjust to his new home. That could be why he's not eating.

It might just depend on the individual chameleon and where the cage is actually placed. I have always had my cages where they can look down at me at the highest place in the cage or at worst atleast be eye leve. That is just my opinion. I would think they would like to be higher up though.

I went through the same exact thing with my veiled Louie. I moved him to the XL reptibreeze, which was too large for the table I had his old 18x18x36 on. I sat it on a shorter, larger table and he didn't seem happy at all. He wasn't eating, he looked stressed and he was either pacing or hiding for a couple days. I ended up buying a used desk at a thrift store that is taller than the original table, plus it has storage for all my cham stuff.

Right away I could tell he was happier. His coloring lightened up and climbed to the top of his vine to survey his domain ;).

The top of the cage is about 7 feet of the floor so I need a step ladder to turn his UVB on and off. But now he's happy, healthy and getting to be a very large boy.

Back
Top Bottom