Chameleon Breeders in the midwest

Mitcchar

Established Member
I am looking for a veiled or panther chameleon either gender in any of the Midwest states. Preferably the chameleon would be able to be shipped. Any responses are appreciated.

image.jpg

Does that wrist look swollen indicating mbd? Because her casque is very soft and her jaw is also soft.

I got her from Petsmatt and I am just reading now that that was dumb and that you should never buy a chameleon for Petsmatt or petco

I got one of my girls from Petco, so I don’t judge. I can’t really say if your girl is showing any signs of mbd, but she does look umm…too chunky. I think it would be best to do a full husbandry review to make sure you’ve got everything as it needs to be. It’s especially important for our sweet ladies to prevent egg laying problems. Just copy/paste the following with your answers and pics of your enclosure. :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I am looking for a veiled or panther chameleon either gender in any of the Midwest states. Preferably the chameleon would be able to be shipped. Any responses are appreciated.
There are a ton of very reputable panther peeps around.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled chameleon female. I don’t know the exact age, Petsmart didn’t tell me. I have had her for a little over 6 months.
  • I do not handle my chameleon very often. I did yesterday so I could get some pictures. She has also been standing still in her cage so I have handled her once or twice to try and move her to a new spot( she has been staying at the bottom of the cage. She has laid her first clutch on Monday though which was 42 eggs)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I am trying to feed her crickets gutloaded with carrots and supplemented with calcium every feeding. I feed about 6 per day but she has not been eating at all because her jaw is pretty soft. I feed her six in the morning before I go to see school (around 8:00) or in the summer when I wake up (also around 8:00).
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I dust calcium every day and multivitamin twice a month. I use Zoo Med Reptivite for multivitamin and Zoo Med repticalcium.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I use a Reptirain mister and I most three times a day for 30 seconds. Once a half out before lights, once at 1:30 and once a half hour after lights go off.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Normally when she poops it is dark brown with a white part tat indicates that she is hydrated. She has not been tested for parasites, and the last time she pooped was last week and it was runny and yellow. I made adjustments to most more to help with hydration.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • No

Before I review your care, I need to clarify some things. When she laid her eggs, had she completely covered up her hole and returned to her basking branch? When you say she hasn’t been moving and staying on the bottom of her enclosure, is this since she laid her eggs? Are your pics from after she laid? Has she eaten on her own since laying? If I’m understanding you correctly and based on her roundness, I’m concerned that she may still have some eggs inside of her and unable to lay them on her own. If this is the case, she’ll need immediate veterinary care and possibly surgery to remove them. Besides being very painful, untreated this would lead to her death. @kinyonga and @jannb know so much more than I so let’s see what their opinions are. While waiting, do start looking for a good exotics vet experienced with chameleons in your area. If you need help finding one, try here https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 Unfortunately reptile vets are few and far between and be prepared to need to travel a little.
Also, I need info on your temps, humidity levels and especially your lights. Do either of your supplements have D3 in them?

• Veiled chameleon female. I don’t know the exact age, Petsmart didn’t tell me. I have had her for a little over 6 months.
  • I do not handle my chameleon very often. I did yesterday so I could get some pictures. She has also been standing still in her cage so I have handled her once or twice to try and move her to a new spot( she has been staying at the bottom of the cage. She has laid her first clutch on Monday though which was 42 eggs) All of this is very alarming as I’ve already posted about.
  • I am trying to feed her crickets gutloaded with carrots and supplemented with calcium every feeding. I feed about 6 per day but she has not been eating at all because her jaw is pretty soft. I feed her six in the morning before I go to see school (around 8:00) or in the summer when I wake up (also around 8:00). This too is concerning. A healthy veiled has a healthy appetite. How is her jaw soft? Is she able to shoot her tongue? While I’d like to tell you more about variety of feeders, amount and gutloading, her ability and desire to eat is more important.
  • I dust calcium every day and multivitamin twice a month. I use Zoo Med Reptivite for multivitamin and Zoo Med repticalcium. Very important - do either of these have vitamin D3 in them?
  • I use a Reptirain mister and I most three times a day for 30 seconds. Once a half out before lights, once at 1:30 and once a half hour after lights go off. Usually is recommended for at least 2 minutes each time, but this is of least concern right now.
  • Normally when she poops it is dark brown with a white part tat indicates that she is hydrated. She has not been tested for parasites, and the last time she pooped was last week and it was runny and yellow. I made adjustments to most more to help with hydration.
  • No
What are basking temps?
What is your humidity level?
What types of lights are you using and when are they on? If you don’t know what type, a picture will be of help.
Posting some pics of her enclosure will also be a big help.
Regardless of anything else though, I’m really afraid that your sweet lady is eggbound and is in need of urgent veterinary care.
I’ve been awake at work all night and need sleep, so won’t be able to reply any further thru the day. Hopefully the two members I’ve tagged will be on and will help, as well as other members of the forum.

She did not completely cover up the hole but left it and didn’t come back. Once I saw that she wasn’t coming back for a while, a few hours, I dig for eggs and counted 42. Those pics were after she laid and she has not been able to eat on her own. Only my multivitamin has D3 and my UVB is a linear t5 ho Arcadia 6%. Basking temps are in high 70s to low 80s and they are lower because I have heard that this helps with females laying less eggs. I do not know the exact humidity but my house humidity is 61% and I assume the inside of the cage is a little higher because of the plants and misting.

Back
Top Bottom