Chameleon Breeders in the midwest

She is currently bright green and sleeping through the day. When she wakes up she gets pretty dark and her jaw and casque are pretty soft indicating mbd

image.jpg

Thanks to my big dog-powered Amazon delivery alert, I’m awake. So it sounds that your supplements, temps and uvb are good so mbd shouldn’t be a concern and something else may be going on with her jaw and casque. However, you have been over feeding her, which can result in overly large clutches of eggs. I feed my girls (actually all of my chameleons) 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week plus occasional treats. It’s very difficult when they haven’t yet reached laying age as we don’t want to deprive them of nutrients needed for full growth, but neither do we want to over feed and have them produce a lot of eggs. What the lower basking temp does is help slow their metabolism just a bit so they won’t be hungry. This article explains it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html Since she is so round, staying at the bottom and not moving and now you say her eyes are closed during the day, all leads to my initial belief that she is eggbound and needs urgent and immediate veterinary care or she’ll die. It’s a very painful condition and death, so please…I can’t stress it enough…she needs a vet now! If she laid on Monday, it’s already been 5 days and I don’t believe she can afford to wait any longer.

I did not know that she was a female until a few days before she laid so I had to take out some stuff and put in a thrown together laying bin for her.

I have seen that some people are feeding 8-12 crickets a day which made me think that I was under feeding her at six a day. I was worried I wasn’t getting her enough nutrients and that was why she was eggbound.

I’m confused though because doesn’t being eggbound lead to mbd because the eggs are taking all of the calcium to develop the shell

You said..."She did not completely cover up the hole but left it and didn’t come back"... This could be an indication that she was too weak to lay the rest of the eggs or that something is orecpventing her from laying the rest of them. I would get her to a vet ASAP and get an X-ray doe to see if she has retained eggs.
Is she spending most of her day sleeping? Sitting low in the cage? Lethargic?

I’m confused though because doesn’t being eggbound lead to mbd because the eggs are taking all of the calcium to develop the shell
Most chameleons that are obese/overfed and have reproductive issues seem to end up with MBD. They also can prolapse.

You said..."She did not completely cover up the hole but left it and didn’t come back"... This could be an indication that she was too weak to lay the rest of the eggs or that something is orecpventing her from laying the rest of them. I would get her to a vet ASAP and get an X-ray doe to see if she has retained eggs.
Is she spending most of her day sleeping? Sitting low in the cage? Lethargic?
Yes she is sitting low in the cage and sleeping.

Fort Wayne Indiana

Here’s a list of reptile vets in Indiana.

Dr. Angela Lennox
Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic
9330 Waldemar Road Indianapolis IN, 4626809:00 to 17:00(317) 879-8633
Dr. Jennifer Clarke
Hillview Veterinary Clinic
1761 Thornburg Lane – Franklin, IN 4613108:00 to 18:00(317) 736-8880
Dr. Jennifer Herbert
Arbor View Animal Hospital
244 West U.S. Highway 6, Valparaiso, IN 4638508:00 to 20:00(219) 762-7267
Dr. Mariah Covey
Kryder Veterinary Clinic
12555 State Rd 23, Granger, IN 4653007:30 to 18:00(574) 277-6533
Dr. Thomas Kilbane
Advent Veterinary Services
3434 Interstate Dr, Evansville, IN 4771508:00 to 18:00(812) 402-1111
Dr. Alia Habhab
Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital
7510 W North Ave, Elmwood Park, IL 6070708:00 to 19:00(708) 453-8181

I don’t think we have the money to spend on a chameleon to do a c section. Is there a humane way to let her die? Or am I a horrible person saying that?

I don’t think we have the money to spend on a chameleon to do a c section. Is there a humane way to let her die? Or am I a horrible person saying that?
If you have no other options, a humane euthanasia by a vet is the kindest thing to do. No, you are not a horrible person for askIng/saying this. Unfortunately sometimes this is the best we can do for our animals to prevent their pain and suffering. Whatever you choose, just please don’t delay any further.

Panthers are more expensive because of their colors and honestly and veileds would be up there too but they produce so many babies and get so bit that people need to lower the prices a LOT for people to take them you shouldn’t price shop for a chameleon tho because you get what you pay for and a cheap chameleon will reflect the care it got and the care the mother got

Oh the vet isn’t that expensive actually I spend more for my dogs checkups than I didn’t for my chameleons medicarion

Back
Top Bottom