Chameleon Bites

My baby panther bites and it freaks me out. She has no teeth so it feels like a duck bite. Just pressure.

Kuzco bit me once for waking him during a tornado. It feels like someone is pinching you really really hard, but not just pinching, twisting as well. Its uncomfortable but I managed not to flinch and jerk my hand away (which I would have done if it had be a dog or cat or anything else. Lol)

If they really want to hurt you they can draw blood but its not that bad if they just bite you instead of trying to eat you. :p

I'm excessively proud to say that I've never been bitten by any chameleon or any of my current lizards....I got a little nip from a decent sized male Savannah monitor a few years back and it didn't make my eyes water........
They have fairly simple 'peg-like' teeth which really don't often do much damage.
They are capable of it though, when they are adults. Just don't pull your hand away....that can cause flesh to tear.....:)

It's kind of like getting your finger clamped down on with a pair of pliers and then sometimes shaken a bit. It's not the worst bite I've experienced but I'd suggest to avoid it if possible.

the thought of being bitten is worse than the bite .the main thing is don't sling him or her across the room .if he bites allot usea glove so he will know that he is not hurting you.

I just had to chime in here!!! I have been bitten by gators,monkeys, big birds,a cougar and even a 20 foot berm python (Francis ) when I was taking her 106 eggs from her to put in an incubator. By comparison a Cham bite is mild,however that being said.... A Mad adult Cham that is in fear for it's life can bite hard!!! It can break the skin and ANY reptile/animal bite carries the risk of infection!!! All bites should be treated with a suitable treatment. In most cases the animal is at more risk then the one being bitten depending on your reaction to the bite. IMHO the best action is No action as this usually results in the least damage to you or the animal doing the biting. Most will let go on there own and this often results in the least pain and damage to you or the offending biter!!!
:eek: Lol

You know it's simple.

Don't make it stress or get angry or make that chin get bigger!

and when it does back off and hopefully you won't give us another thing to worry about, we are already worrying enough about them haha!

Just a curious, what does a bite feel like ?

i’ve never had blood drawn from a cham bite, but get nipped at here and there. like most have said, it’s really just some firm momentary pressure. last week one of my Faly males actually tagged me and twisted very quickly, so there was much more “scraping” than usual. but even then, not a drop of blood nor even deep.

the larger species of chams obviously have much more power and larger teeth. i would not really want to find out what a Parson’s mouth feels like! as for veiled’s, they come with a built in handle on top of their head which is lovely when you’re the examining vet!

That reminds me, sometimes the casque on a veiled will actually save you from a bite (even though the casque is what gives them that extra power.) If there is something between you and the chameleon, sometimes they will lunge at you and end up bumping into the object and are unable to get you. The same goes for chameleons with horns. The one time my veiled had that happen, he just gave me this look, like I was the one who was holding him back from lunging at me. It was kind of comical.

i’ve never had blood drawn from a cham bite, but get nipped at here and there. like most have said, it’s really just some firm momentary pressure. last week one of my Faly males actually tagged me and twisted very quickly, so there was much more “scraping” than usual. but even then, not a drop of blood nor even deep.

the larger species of chams obviously have much more power and larger teeth. i would not really want to find out what a Parson’s mouth feels like! as for veiled’s, they come with a built in handle on top of their head which is lovely when you’re the examining vet!

Hahahaha the built in handle on top cracks me up. Took my veiled Nasir in today for a check up and needless to say the Dr. had zero problems getting a clean look at the entirety of my guy's mouth. :eek:

Hahahaha the built in handle on top cracks me up. Took my veiled Nasir in today for a check up and needless to say the Dr. had zero problems getting a clean look at the entirety of my guy's mouth. :eek:

it's so true. nothing else in my profession that wants to taste me a little comes with a proper built-in handle! my only real proof so far of an intelligent higher power. :D

I am not completely sure, as when my veiled turns dark and starts nipping I surrender! Although I purchased here from PetSmart (I hate them very deeply) she bit the helper! The helper didn't flinch but got PO'd.... ya. Just think this - a chameleon jaws can squish a pinkie mouse, bones and all!

Well, with my Picasso most of it is just show. Though when he is really set on me not cleaning or being in his space, he will bite. The worst part really is the anticipation, but it is a decent pinch. Don't jerk away though or it will be worse. That's been my experience at least.

Even in her most PMSing-adolescent-worthy hissy fit, Donatella hasn't tried to bite me... Guess that makes me very lucky!

Back
Top Bottom