Chameleon Behavior

In the past few days my cham has been acting very weird in the sense that he is patrolling his enclosure more frequently, almost like he wants out of the enclosure. Im thinking this may be due to the heat lamp I replaced last week. It is a 120w sun glo bulb for plants. It produces a basking spot temp of 80 - 85 degrees, I think. Maybe he is on the prowl for another basking spot. When I try to get him out of the enclosure he flips out and runs for the back. If I leave the enclosure door open he exits the enclosure and hangs on the door. That is when I am able to hold him.

My cham is almost 5 months old and I just wanted to know if this was normal behavior at this age.:(

could be patroling, mine patrols constantly. he hardly ever just sits and basks. he did have girlfriend at pet store , he might miss her.

I would try changing your basking light bulb to a regular lamp bulb, either 40 or 60. You need to monitor the temps for awhile to make sure your temps fall in the 88-90 range. (or 10 deg hotter then room temp).

Oh yeah-I just noticed the "I think" on the temps-you need to KNOW what they are-that is a powerful bulb and he could be trying to escape the heat.

Bulb

Last week my 150w bulb providing the basking spot blew out and I replaced it with a 120w from Lowes specifically for plants. It produced a lower temp in the enclosure, resulting in my chams loss of appetite and some of his wandering activity. Yesterday I went to Petco and bought a 150w basking spot bulb and it has seemed to increase the chams mood for the better. He is already eating more and has reduced his activity around the enclosure; however, he still patrols the cage and acts like he wants out. I am assuming he is becoming a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom