Chameleon Age

Rocco13

Hello, I recently purchased my first chameleon about a week or so ago, and i’m having a hard time trying to figure out how old she is, i’ve yet to measure but I will do that soon. When I purchased her it really never came to my mind to ask how old she was since i didn’t know it was that important for chameleons until I did my research, i’m just worried because I know as babies you wanna feed them the most as they grow and then they start to eat less as they age but I don’t want to potentially over feed her. I feed her everyday, she eats around 3-5 superworms a day dusting them with supplements.

Attachments

• AFA375BF-58CE-43D3-8DBA-DE96F9349770.jpeg
    AFA375BF-58CE-43D3-8DBA-DE96F9349770.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 85
Please fill this out

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yes I am aware, I know they can get addicted to specifically one food but I have purchased black soldier larvae but i’m just waiting until they pupate.

Yeah I have tried to feed her just the larvae themselves but most of them are very small at the moment and most don’t even move a lot.

In my opinion she looks close to a year old maybe 10-11 months just based off the size of her casque and body. Have you done research on females? Their husbandry is slightly different than males. At her age she should not be fed daily.
If you are open to a husbandry review just copy, paste, and fill out the help form above and someone will review it. 😊

You said..."Hello"...hello and welcome to the forum.

You said..." I recently purchased my first chameleon about a week or so ago, and i’m having a hard time trying to figure out how old she is"...it's hard to tell an accurate age...they all grow at different rates and some grow bigger than others. I can tell you that she's likely at least 5 or 6 months old and sexually mature....and likely working on eggs already. Female veileds lay eggs without having mated.

Do you have an egglaying bin in her cage? If not I'd get one in there very soon.

Also, if you don't want her to be laying huge clutches and having reproductive issues and other health issues, you need to control her diet and temperatures ight away.

You said..."i’m just worried because I know as babies you wanna feed them the most as they grow and then they start to eat less as they age but I don’t want to potentially over feed her. I feed her everyday, she eats around 3-5 superworms a day dusting them with supplements"...you can feed her every second or third day now...three or four crickets or same calories in other insects.

Please answer the questions so we can help you get the husbandry right.

Back
Top Bottom