Chameleon acting “drunk”?

Omi

So I have had my cham for 1 year ish. He’s 1,5 year and he hasn’t had any problems, until now. He’s acting really weird, he’s kind of doing weird turns, hanging upside down and lying against my hand etc. Is he sick or is he turning blind? His grip is still strong but not that strong. He’s been like this for about 5 days. Should I take him to the vet?

I take him out a few times a day to let him sit in the tree so he can look out the window, I feed him crickets every second day (3) I’ve also fed him cockroaches, he likes them. Sometimes I even feed him strawberries, he likes them a l o t. I powder his food with the blue one mostly, and the multi vitamin once a month. He has his own waterfall where he drinks, I rinse it every week. I tried to have a fogger in his terrarium but he didn’t like it very much, so I’m spraying everyday until I can get better options. His temp in there is 80 F.

I’m really concerned it’s MBD or some other disease. Please help!

(I am suspecting it’s the vitamin but I could be wrong..)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 347E6B8D-51B8-448B-8973-1A773280ED93.jpeg
    347E6B8D-51B8-448B-8973-1A773280ED93.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Id just keep an eye out for "laying on side" or "grabbing leg with another leg".

But it might just be "spring" in your room.

Veileds do not typically just hang like that nor do they lay down against your hand.

So your supplementation schedule is off. And the exoterra multi does not have preformed Vitamin A. So it could be an issue of supplementation not being adequate for him.

I am not sure what UVB lighting your using but the cage is not set up for an arboreal lizard. They have to be able to climb. Depending on your uvb type and distance to the highest place he can get he may not even be getting correct UVI levels. Which yes can lead to MBD.

Waterfalls should not be used... They grow bacteria, the animals poop in them and feeders can fall into them and die. This is not water you then want a chameleon drinking from. Can cause health issues because of it. This is why we mist enclosures.

Fruits should never be given their bodies are not able to process the sugars correctly.

I would get rid of the fountain. They are a great place for bacteria to grow. Cleaning once a week IMHO is not enough to to prevent this.

It's sounding strange the way he's behaving. I don't see any signs of MBD...but from your description I can't tell if it's odd chameleon behaviour or not.

• copy and paste then fill it out
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• copy and paste then fill it out
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon, he is about 1 and a half year, one year and 3 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Sometimes, But i do take him out to sit in the tree
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I mostly feed him crickets, sometimes cockroaches and only meal worms for snack
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Theyre in the pictures above
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I must until the habitat is wet and moist, otherwise he drinks from the waterfall
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Yellow white ish
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I think the vitamin is wrong… But im not sure
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Combo
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Ill add pictures, But the lamp turns on 7:30am and turns off 8:30pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Day: 80 F night 72 F
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don’t have a way to measure, I just spray often
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I forgot the name but I heard it’s good for chameleons, think it’s called goldenpothos?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Near the window but here’s no trafic, about 162 meters (5’3 ish feet)
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Sweden
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I don’t know why he’s hanging upside down or brushing himself against me

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I would get rid of the fountain. They are a great place for bacteria to grow. Cleaning once a week IMHO is not enough to to prevent this.
+1.

Too much sugar from too many berries could also be causing health issues.
Veileds really shouldn't be given fruit—just too much sugar that their metabolisms weren't designed to handle.

I'm not terribly concerned about the hanging upside down. They're all different and some just do that. Some of the other behaviors, though... 🤨

IMO, a veterinarian wouldn't be a bad idea. A fecal exam at the very least.

Enclosure is a little low at 5'-3". Chameleons are most comfortable when their basking site is at or above eye level.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

Both temperature and humidity can be monitored with digital hygrometer/thermometer with probes.
I like these, but there are many other good ones.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the light I’m using, is it bad or..?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 66
This is the light I’m using, is it bad or..?
Bad... This is a mercury Vapor bulb. Or 2 in 1 bulb. These produce much higher heat and UVI levels then recommended for an enclosure with a chameleon. Unless you have a Solarmeter and are able to adjust the distance to get the correct UVI level you may very well be over exposing the chameleon. These when used are typically only used on large free range areas and with the use of a solarmeter.

Back
Top Bottom