Chameleon Abuse

Thankyou.

I hope nobody is doing this in modern times. As I have posted before, there is a lot of ugly, meanness in this world. Most of it unrelated to chameleons, but where people are abusive to such peaceful creatures, I am interested in helping to stop it. Maybe theres a help fund or charity or something.

There is a legal 501(c) charity for chameleons, it is named ChamEO and is operated by Elisa, one of our forum member, chamelisa. She is thrilled by any & all of us who send money or help out with supplies. The website is
http://chameo.org/ for chameleons lovers it is one of the best ways to help out little green (or whatever) friends. Go take a look at the site and you can see what they do.

Had a chameleon been put on a chain and pinned to a shirt I doubt it would be very aggressive. It'd probably be so stressed that is just sat there hoping the person wouldn't eat it. Maybe the first two or three times it'd be aggressive if it was freshly brought in.

I know Pan wouldn't be lunging at anyone as soon as he was outside his cage. He tries to run away... On your face.

There is a legal 501(c) charity for chameleons, it is named ChamEO and is operated by Elisa, one of our forum member, chamelisa. She is thrilled by any & all of us who send money or help out with supplies. The website is
http://chameo.org/ for chameleons lovers it is one of the best ways to help out little green (or whatever) friends. Go take a look at the site and you can see what they do.

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea and the website is very informative. Elisa is one special lady.

What happens later?

Man!! That really burns me up !!

How were these sweet little animals treated at the homes they were taken to? No drippers, no misters, no food, no UVB or basking lights, no protection. They probably just got sick and died. When the poor things stopped moving around or they got too smelly from being dead too long they were probably just tossed aside, in favor of the next fashion trend.

If anybody treated my little Zippy like that, I'd kick their butt!!:mad:

While I am fired up...
If anybody is new to chameleon care and they read this post, think of this: You are in care of a living creature that was removed from its natural environment. If you were foolish, and didnt get all the right husbandry supplies beforehand, GET THAT STUFF NOW!! Otherwise you are torturing an innocent ccreature.

Unlikely.
Veileds were not imported to this country until the early 1990's.

Senegals and common (european) chameleons, however, were regularly subjected to this fad.

-Brad

The photo posted above is the photo I saw... Not really sure why I assumed she had a veiled..... :confused: LOL you can hardly even see the chameleon. :eek:

A little OT but I have to say it...

I can't believe I missed all of this. I just want to thank everyone for the supportive comments above. It means a lot to me.

Thank you!

i have heard of this with anoles or the "american chameleon"

Some of us are old enough to remember seeing anoles offered as prizes this way. My first pet anoles came from a school friend who did win two at a carnival. At least they got better treatment in our hands and lived quite a long time. I hated to think about all the fear and misery they survived.

If anybody is new to chameleon care and they read this post, think of this: You are in care of a living creature that was removed from its natural environment. If you were foolish, and didnt get all the right husbandry supplies beforehand, GET THAT STUFF NOW!! Otherwise you are torturing an innocent ccreature.

Anyone considerate enough to find this forum is already on the right track. The bigger problem is all the hundreds of thoughtless, impulse buyers who don't think about the animals they buy...never have and never will. That's why we have the bad pet shops, the big box store chains, the stupid key chain mini-creature fads, animal rights groups, etc. You're preaching to a choir here.

Back
Top Bottom