Chameleon Abuse

ZippiesPal

When I told my mom (I'm 43 and she is, like 75)(I do not live in her basement), that I was getting a chameleon, she said something that made me think that maybe dimensia was setting in.

She told me that they used to buy chams at the fair and pin them to their cloths when she was a girl. I brought this up when we were at lunch with my aunt (who is probably ten years younger) and my aunt said that it was a circus where they bought these things. My aunt explained that the chams were tied on a string that you could pin to your clothes, so it wouldnt run away. This all took place in the fifties, and they cost about ten dollars.

I doubt that my mom and aunt would lie, but I wonder if it was some kind of geckos, salimanders or even bearded dragons. It just seemed very strange to me. :eek:
How long have chameleons been popularly kept as pets? Is the story above correct and accurate? Have you ever heared of such a thing?

I'm pretty sure they mean anoles, which some people call American Chameleons. I've heard of this before. They could also have been iguanas, I have heard of that as well.

Thankyou.

Thankyou.

I hope nobody is doing this in modern times. As I have posted before, there is a lot of ugly, meanness in this world. Most of it unrelated to chameleons, but where people are abusive to such peaceful creatures, I am interested in helping to stop it. Maybe theres a help fund or charity or something.

I don't know about preventing abuse(but I'm sure they are working on it:)), but ChamEO Inc. is a rescue of sorts.

http://chameo.org/

Sabrina ChamEO is not a rescue of sorts!! [/COLOR]It is a legal charity, which a lovely lady named Elisa has devoted her life and a lot of money to helping chameleons. This is one of the times that you need to be very careful what you say.

Now we need to see you say you are sorry for any slam on Elisa & ChamEO.

That was no slam Laurie, I meant a rescue of sorts as a rescue of chameleons? I could not think of the proper wording (legal charity) at the time of posting. I have no idea where you are getting that from. :confused::confused::confused: But it was in no way meant the be a slam. Errgh, this is why I prefer face to face contact over typing. If anything I was supporting it because they wanted to donate to something. I just have a hard time describing things, Elisa does many great things. (I am a fan on Facebook! :))

I once read an article from the archives of a new york newspaper online, circa 1900 about a boy selling 'chameleons' on the pavement outside a storefront.
In effect, somebody felt it was cruelty and the boy went before the court of the day.
His lawyer pleaded they were 'insects', not animals, hence not subject to cruelty laws in effect at the time.
The judge ruled it so and the boy was released.
I have no idea if they were infact Sp. anolis or true chameleons of some kind.
Edit: Found it, this is the one. :)

THE STATUS OF CHAMELEONS (new York Times)
Attorney Says They're Insects When a Boy Is Arrested for Selling Them.
September 27, 1906, Thursday

link
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...6CF&oref=slogin

Heres another historic 'chameleon' article

A CHAMELEON ASTRAY IN HARTFORD.
From the Hartford Courant
July 5, 1890, Wednesday

link
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9619C94619ED7CF

Sabrina ChamEO is not a rescue of sorts!! [/COLOR]It is a legal charity, which a lovely lady named Elisa has devoted her life and a lot of money to helping chameleons. This is one of the times that you need to be very careful what you say.

Now we need to see you say you are sorry for any slam on Elisa & ChamEO.

I can't think of a time when Sabrina shouldn't follow what you said (the bit in bold)

They might have been anoles... but someone posted a photo from the 30's of a lady with a veiled on her, with a gold chain around it's foot and pinned to her jacket....

I tried looking but couldn't find it. :(

Summoner, I'm curious as to what you meant about Sabrina. I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out but the verbs are in different tenses and it's a double negative so it's a little confusing...

That was no slam Laurie, I meant a rescue of sorts as a rescue of chameleons? I could not think of the proper wording (legal charity) at the time of posting. I have no idea where you are getting that from. :confused::confused::confused: But it was in no way meant the be a slam. Errgh, this is why I prefer face to face contact over typing. If anything I was supporting it because they wanted to donate to something. I just have a hard time describing things, Elisa does many great things. (I am a fan on Facebook! :))

OK i jumped to a wrong conclusion. I am sorry I got on you. I just so admire the work, time & love Elisa puts into what she is doing that I don't want anyone to give her anything except money & praise.

OK i jumped to a wrong conclusion. I am sorry I got on you. I just so admire the work, time & love Elisa puts into what she is doing that I don't want anyone to give her anything except money & praise.
LOL! I love that last part.

It's alright, it's the internet, we all have our own ways of understanding things. It's unfortunately too easy to take something many different ways.. and often the exact opposite way of what it is meant. No hard feelings I hope? :eek:

I remember this pic from somewhere before from the 1930's....courtesy of Getty Images

Attachments

• 3308794.jpg
    3308794.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Syn
panthercham, that pic was posted in one of the previous threads, I remember that! That picture popped into my head the second I read this thread. Great find!

but someone posted a photo from the 30's of a lady with a veiled on her, with a gold chain around it's foot and pinned to her jacket....
:(

Unlikely.
Veileds were not imported to this country until the early 1990's.

Senegals and common (european) chameleons, however, were regularly subjected to this fad.

-Brad

panthercham, that pic was posted in one of the previous threads, I remember that! That picture popped into my head the second I read this thread. Great find!

Yeah...I originally posted it but the photo site was updated so it didn't show it anymore so I went looking for it. Its saddening that humans could call wearing live animals as fashion :(

Could you imagine having a hissing, lunging, pissed off cham chained to you? I dont see how they considered that fashion.

Back
Top Bottom