Chamaeleo africanus surprise!

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just received a female Chamaeleo africanus from Chad and Darci at Tiki Tiki reptiles and when I opened the bag look what I found.

IMG_04841.jpg

I'm going to keep the 30 eggs around a 75F temperature and in about 5-10 months (if the eggs are good) should have some baby C. africanus. As of now I have got 30 and could have more later tonight.

IMG_04851.jpg

It is amazing that this little female had that many eggs. She is going to go inside the greenhouse tomorrow to allow her to rehydrate after laying eggs/giving birth in transit. With some catered food.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me when I got my female T. pfefferi. When I opened the bag she was in and took her out, I had the surprise of finding 7 eggs in there with her.

careful with them, they're very difficult to bounce back from egg-laying. Try to give her a large egg-laying box just in case she retained a few. They are incredible diggers fyi and will tunnel 30" straight down to lay.

My africanus took over 3 days to dig and lay her 43 eggs. It looks like next year sometime there's hopefully going to be a bunch of africanus babies around. Those of us that are successful should keep in touch so that we can mix male and females of different clutches. I doubt there will be a big demand but they seem to be a hardy species and it's always good to see something that's not a Panther or Veiled.

My africanus took over 3 days to dig and lay her 43 eggs. It looks like next year sometime there's hopefully going to be a bunch of africanus babies around. Those of us that are successful should keep in touch so that we can mix male and females of different clutches. I doubt there will be a big demand but they seem to be a hardy species and it's always good to see something that's not a Panther or Veiled.

For people that are fans of Veileds they are a similar species and are going to give people who prefer Veiled type chameleons (or just hot weather chameleons) more of a selection to choose from. People who have got specimens from this last batch of Chamaeleo africanus we should all keep in touch. I would not mind a male to go with this female.

Last edited:
For people that are fans of Veileds they are a similar species and are going to give people who prefer Veiled type chameleons (or just hot weather chameleons) more of a selection to choose from. People who have got specimens from this last batch of Chamaeleo africanus we should all keep in touch. I would not mind a male to go with this female.

Agreed, I have a clutch incubating right now and I'm trying to compile as much information as I can on this species. It would be great to get a viable CB population going in the US--especially since the imports seem so touchy

Here's a picture of the female who finished with 33 eggs total. She has been hydrating and feeding in an isolated cage in the greenhouse.

IMG_04881.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to make sure a few CF people got some gravid girls, I knew she was close, but not THAT close... I did not given any of them meds yet as most were gravid and I dont do gravid meds.

It looks like she might not care all that much for the camera. My female only spots up when she's angry. It seems ironic that stress is bad for chams but that's when they look their best! Wouldn't it be nice if their fired up colors and patterns were when they were at rest, then they got pattern less and drab colored when stressed.
So Chad how many gravid females do you have. I would assume your going to get some clutches going from yours and be selling babies at some point.

Back
Top Bottom