cham

Waxworms are good on occasion like the mealworms, but neither should be a staple diet. Between the two i would always choose waxworms, no shell, no impaction, but waxworms are high in fat content so should only be fed in between feedings once or twice a week.
If you would like to get a great worm style feeder, try the silkworm, they are a all around good food for your chameleon, still high in fat content, but chameleons love them. I do Silkworms once a week as treat day, i currently had to swap up the silkys for waxoworms, my supplier was out.

Last edited:
Waxworms are good on occasion like the mealworms, but neither should be a staple diet. Between the two i would always choose waxworms, no shell, no impaction, but waxworms are high in fat content so should only be fed in between feedings once or twice a week.
If you would like to get a great worm style feeder, try the silkworm, they are a all around good food for your chameleon, still high in fat content, but chameleons love them. I do Silkworms once a week as treat day, i currently had to swap up the silkys for waxoworms, my supplier was out.

The silks are lowfat, not HIGH. They are only about 6grams(same as cricket) of fat as compared to the supers, wax and meal worms. Here is some good info on the nutritional value of insects. http://chamownersweb.net/insects/nutritional_values.htm

Personally, I wouldn't pick either of those. I'll give waxworms very rarely (few times a year maybe?) but I never use mealworms. The ratio of meat to shell is too low for me to really think about them. I'd rather use silk worms, hornworms, butterworms, phoenix worms, or superworms.

I try to stay away from Wax and Meal worms. The closest I go is Superworms and those are my treats.

Silkies and hornworms are the top of the worm feeder chains in my eyes. I like to use Butterworms, just got some nice fat jumbos from Mulberry Farms that none of my chams seem to enjoy. :p Maybe yours will though, they are a great source of calicum as well.

thanks for the info dudes n how can i get the other type of worms from apart from meal worms and wax worms

thanks for the info dudes n how can i get the other type of worms from apart from meal worms and wax worms

You can order online, I'll pm you a link to a seller who does calciworms and silkworms in the uk........I don't know if any of the site sponsors deliver to the uk?

The silks are lowfat, not HIGH. They are only about 6grams(same as cricket) of fat as compared to the supers, wax and meal worms. Here is some good info on the nutritional value of insects. http://chamownersweb.net/insects/nutritional_values.htm

That is an interesting link.
I noticed the values jump around a lot on mealworms depending on who did the analysis. I also noticed they are much more comparable to superworms than I thought. Protein levels very similar. I also noticed superworms have higher fat every time than mealworms. Very interesting indeed..

Back
Top Bottom