Help have a 4 month old panther chameleon

Ringo and josh

He's only eating the wax worms and meal worms but was sold large locusts and don't seem like he's eating as been counting then and still no change should I worry or let him be.

Hi and welcome. :) You say the locusts are large, which makes me believe that they are probably too big for your baby to eat. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big for your chameleon to eat it. It’s much better to have your feeders be a little too small than too large. I’m not sure what kinds of feeders are available where you are, but this graphic may help. Often we need to order them on line.
1ABE976C-EF7A-4AC7-8062-086A27AF1043.jpeg
49843520-85F3-4D84-8932-6143E5C7D23B.jpeg

Taking good care of your feeder bugs is also important so that they will be more nutritious. Do avoid greens with high oxalates that bind to calcium such as spinach and kale.
With babies it’s extra important to have all of your husbandry as perfect as possible because they have no resources to fall back on. There’s a huge amount of old or wrong info out there on keeping chams. If you want to make sure you’ve got it all correct, we can start with some pics of your enclosure (including lights).

Hi and welcome. :) You say the locusts are large, which makes me believe that they are probably too big for your baby to eat. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big for your chameleon to eat it. It’s much better to have your feeders be a little too small than too large. I’m not sure what kinds of feeders are available where you are, but this graphic may help. Often we need to order them on line.
View attachment 336824View attachment 336825
Taking good care of your feeder bugs is also important so that they will be more nutritious. Do avoid greens with high oxalates that bind to calcium such as spinach and kale.
With babies it’s extra important to have all of your husbandry as perfect as possible because they have no resources to fall back on. There’s a huge amount of old or wrong info out there on keeping chams. If you want to make sure you’ve got it all correct, we can start with some pics of your enclosure (including lights).
No this is awesome thank you. We went and got some smaller crickets and locusts last night to try see if he will.eat. I've also put two hygrometers in there both white is this bad thing to do 🤷. Thank you for your help though

Very good! (y) At just 4 months old, let baby eat a lot every day…like around 15-20 feeders. Do make sure your supplement regimen is correct. You want to use a phosphorus free calcium without D3 every feeding except when using a different supplement. To get vitamin D3 and multivitamins, there are (at least) 2 different regimens.
The standard one is to use a phosphorus free calcium with D3 one feeding every other week, alternating with a multivitamin, also one feeding every other week. For example, days 1 & 15 you use the D3 and days 2 & 30 you use the multivitamin.
The other (and easier imo) way is to use a combination product such as Repashy calcium with LoD or Reptivite with D3 at one feeding every other week.
Having the correct uvb is also essential. The standard for that is a linear T5HO with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb. The light should be 8-9” away from basking area. If you need, this is the correct one. https://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-6-bulb-22-5-sale-now-only-69-99/
Babies do like to walk upside down on the screen top so it’s best to elevate all lights at least a few inches above the screen to prevent burns. I use cheap dollar store wire baskets to raise my lights, but there are special things (Repti risers?) you can buy on Etsy.
Temp should be no higher than 80 until baby is a bit bigger. Daytime humidity should be between 50-70%.
Providing lots of safe live plants to drink from and hide in/under and lots of little ‘roads’ of branches and vines will make your little one very happy.
Provide a feeding station that can easily be reached and seen, preferably just a couple of inches below basking level.
Having all of these things be correct will also effect baby’s appetite and general well being. :) Thermometers and hygrometers shouldn’t bother baby unless it has an ‘eye’. Things with dark circles look like predators‘s eyes.

Back
Top Bottom