cham with big appetite

jewelsosco

hi guys , i have owned a veiled chameleon for 2 months (he is about 7 months right now) and lately has been waiting by his food bowl almost every day i get home. i feed him kale a few times a week, around 5 medium crickets daily, and 2 superworms twice a week. is he hungry or does he just like eating?

He’s recognized your routine, most chams are allowed to feed 24/7 up till about this age but you should start cutting him back to the adult feeding schedule over the next couple months.

And the vegetables are more for the adults, little ones need most bugs due to their growth rate. I’m not say stop, just wanted to mention it.

Honestly most captive chams are significantly over fed when compared to their wild counterparts anyway. I promise your not starving him if that's your concern, a lot of chams do this. I think it is simply a matter of their instincts driving them to go sit in a spot that they have had success with before even if they aren't actually hungry at that time. I mean they have to be somewhere right? might as well post up in a spot that has the potential of a free, easy meal...

Since your new, id suggest filling out the help form so we can review your husbandry for any opportunities for improvement. Link in my signature.

Can we see a pic of the little monster?

Honestly most captive chams are significantly over fed when compared to their wild counterparts anyway. I promise your not starving him if that's your concern, a lot of chams do this. I think it is simply a matter of their instincts driving them to go sit in a spot that they have had success with before even if they aren't actually hungry at that time. I mean they have to be somewhere right? might as well post up in a spot that has the potential of a free, easy meal...

Since your new, id suggest filling out the help form so we can review your husbandry for any opportunities for improvement. Link in my signature.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ~7 month old male veiled chameleon, has been in my care 2 months.
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I've handled him I think ~4 times but have not in a while as he expresses no interest in being handled recently.
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him about a half hour after i turn on his light - kale some days, 5 medium crickets daily, 2 superworms twice a week. I gutload them with kale, apples, and carrots
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have fluker's repta calcium with D3 and vitamins
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a pressure mister that I got from home depot and a reptile humidifier. I mist in the morning for ~3 minutes, in the afternoon for ~3, and i mist for ~1 right before i turn off the light. I do see him drinking usually but when I dont I check for urate.

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark brown, soft-ish when i clean it up. And no.

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 screen with shower curtain wrapped on 3 sides
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have his lights on from 6am-6pm. Heat lamp is zoomed 50 watt. UVB is the linear T-5 5.0
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot reaches 85-90°, cooler areas are about 75°

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I spray as mentioned and have a humidifier. I have a hydrometer
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes I have a pothos, a corn plant, and a small type ficus
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room so not a high traffic area, not near a vent, fan or window. It's on a 2.5 ft tall stand
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm in Illinois, USA

You said..."Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have fluker's repta calcium with D3 and vitamins"....no phos free calcium? How often for each?
Should be phos free calcium lightly at almost all feedings and twice a month for vitamins and phos free calcium/D3. Vitamins should have a beta carotene prOformed source of vitaminA so you don't have to worry about overdosing it and that leaves it up to you to decide when/if your chameleon needs some prEformed vitamin A ( palmitate, retinol, retinyl, etc).

Feeding and gutloading insects such as crickets, roaches, superworms, etc should include a wider assortment of greens, veggies and fruits.

Urates...what color are the urates?

You said..."Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have fluker's repta calcium with D3 and vitamins"....no phos free calcium? How often for each?
Should be phos free calcium lightly at almost all feedings and twice a month for vitamins and phos free calcium/D3. Vitamins should have a beta carotene prOformed source of vitaminA so you don't have to worry about overdosing it and that leaves it up to you to decide when/if your chameleon needs some prEformed vitamin A ( palmitate, retinol, retinyl, etc).

Feeding and gutloading insects such as crickets, roaches, superworms, etc should include a wider assortment of greens, veggies and fruits.

Urates...what color are the urates?
Oops yeah I also have a phos free and D3 free calcium that i do every other day and the one with those things i do once every other week. I will be getting more variety foods for the bugs soon. and the urates are white, sometimes with a tiny yellow but not often

Back
Top Bottom