Cham thinks hand is food

Ag.parks

My cham has started eating from my hand and finally figured out that i am her pantry lol, but she also tries to eat my fingers every time I try to lead her on my hand! She recognizes the worms as food but she keeps trying to eat my fingers. I read a blog about taming and ive tried to put my hand in front of the other (that has the worm in it) and every time she tries to eat my hand. She doesn’t even bother walking on to my hand. Another time I tried to move the worm up my arm but instead of walking on my hand, she tried to eat it!! what should i do?? I don’t want to wear gloves because I want her to recognize my hand and every time i use tongs she freaks. :( Don’t know what to do

I am thinking you are referring to my blog... Please understand that was not written as a "taming" guide. And I do not feel that these animals should ever be looked at with the idea to tame them. But this is a trust building guide. We as their keepers must be able to take them to the vet, Clean their cage, look them over to make sure there are no changes to their health, and take them to outdoor enclosures. In order to do this we must have their trust so that we do not cause them stress. You can not do this process at your pace it is all about their pace.

How much are you feeding her a day and what is her age?

I am thinking you are referring to my blog... Please understand that was not written as a "taming" guide. And I do not feel that these animals should ever be looked at with the idea to tame them. But this is a trust building guide. We as their keepers must be able to take them to the vet, Clean their cage, look them over to make sure there are no changes to their health, and take them to outdoor enclosures. In order to do this we must have their trust so that we do not cause them stress. You can not do this process at your pace it is all about their pace.

How much are you feeding her a day and what is her age?
I’m feeding her 4 crickets (from a cup) and usually 1-2 mealworms (from my hand)

Oh sorry! I didn’t see that part, she’s around 5-6 months old. My superworms just came in so I’m going to start feeding those to her.
She is hungry.... she is still young and growing. That is why she is going after your fingers she knows that you have food there so she is thinking there is more. You will want to up her crickets to like 9 while she is still growing then curb back and do every other day when she hits about 9 months.

She is hungry.... she is still young and growing. That is why she is going after your fingers she knows that you have food there so she is thinking there is more. You will want to up her crickets to like 9 while she is still growing then curb back and do every other day when she hits about 9 months.
Thank you so much!! This helped a ton, i will do that!

Back
Top Bottom