Cham suddenly mean?? Help

leezard

I have had my male veiled for 3 yrs now. He has been tamed now for 2 yrs. He would always come onto my hand to come out of the cage. He would eat worms from my hand, allow me to pet him even.
2 days ago he turned evil. Hissing opening his mouth etc.
Now even when I look in his cage he opens his mouth in defense.

Now, I know he is a male, no changes to his happy house.

He has been dark brown in color and primarily sitting on the bottom of his tank.
When he started this hissing thing I thought maybe he was thirsty or dehydrated somehow. I sprayed him and he drank but he is def pissed off.
He is eating but not when I am in the room anymore.

Any ideas what the issue is.

His tank is the same as it has been for years, temp same humidity same, food same absolutely no changes took place to cause him to suddenly be aggressive.

Any ideas?

Forgot to mention He is sitting on the bottom of his cage kinda hiding angry and dark in color not black more brown.

If there have been no changes to the animal's habitat, then maybe there's been a change in the environment that he can sense.

Have you bought a new pet? Did you move the TV? Did you change laundry soap? Did anyone just have a baby? Did you repaint a wall he can see?

Last edited:
primarily sitting on the floor of the cage dark?

as eliza is asking. anything change?

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Absolutely nothin changed.

We left for the day and I brought back his favorite horned worms even.
Usually when I come up to the cage with a bag of some sort he cham runs over to check it out.
This time he was sitting on a branch totally dark, seen me bolted to the bottom kinda hid then started hissing at me .

I put the worms in his fav tree hung out and he still didn't budge.
I left him for a hour or so and he must have came out at the worms and went back to hiding.
Today same thing he was chilling on a branch I came in and he went to the bottom again.
Hasn't been out all day.

This is very unlike him.

Any ideas are helpful.

I even cleaned his cage 3 days ago put him back and he was happy to explore new hiding spots.

I even said to my husband I thought someone broke in took the good cham and left this jerk cham, lol.
Something is up.

primarily sitting on the floor of the cage dark?

as eliza is asking. anything change?

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Male 3 yrs old, had him since he was about 4 months.
Handled every other day until yesterday.
Eats wax worms, crickets, greens, superworms, occasional horned worm.
calcium once a week and he drinks from a water bowl daily I see him drink.
He gets sprayed multiple times a day and showers for 30 min once a week.
Tank is a combo and xlarge
cage is in my room and has the same plants now for 6 months cannot remember the name but checked when I bought and they are safe.
new lights and temp is around 80-90 day and 70 night humidity ranges from 50-70 in dif spots of tank.

has he had a fecal done recently? it sounds kinda like something is bothering him and maybe he has, for a lack of a better term, a tummy ache?

Don't think about the day you noticed the change. Think about the last month or 3. It takes awhile for chameleon discontent to manifest in visible, noticeable problems.

It could be something utterly insignificant by your standards. Did you get a new bedspread? Did you put something new on the wall? Did you succomb to the ads and buy a Glade Fresh Scents flameless candle? Did you clean the carpets?

He basically has his own room no changes to it. Been the same in there decor wise for a year.
The only thing was it was hot out yesterday and the corner window had the blinds open. But the temp was still ok just a little more sun than he was used to but today they were closed as usual.

I will get some pics tomorrow he is asleep already and nothing wakes this guy.
Oh
poop is normal too crap and white stuff.

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Do you only give Calcium once a week? Does it have d3 or not? How are you gutloading your insects?
If there are really no changes you can think of, up to and including what Elizadolots mentioned (have you been smoking something today too?, lol) then the only option is a vet visit

has he had a fecal done recently? it sounds kinda like something is bothering him and maybe he has, for a lack of a better term, a tummy ache?

Most vets will let you drop off a fecal sample for them to look at. My vet charges me 19.00 for a fecal test.Just a little info on most male veileds. They get mean... When we got our male veiled we named him steps. for his cute leaf walk.That leaf walk is gone. He is a old man now. We call him BigNasty these days. Oh he bit my son last week

The only thing was it was hot out yesterday and the corner window had the blinds open

And did that mean curtains blew in the breeze? Or that he felt a new breeze?

I'm not trying to be a pill. I'm trying to get you to understand that the level of "change" that could cause distress is positively microscopic.

Long ago my parents had a dog who suddenly started barking hysterically for no apparent reason...it went on for days according to them. I went over to see if I could help and noticed a bath mat that was draped over the tub, completely visible in the living room when the bathroom door was open. I had never seen such a thing and asked about it...yes, it was put there right before the dog started barking. As that was a bathtub that was not used (they showered in the other bathroom) they didn't usually have a bath mat in that bathroom...Mom just thought it was pretty so bought it.

And, I have to tell you, this was a golden retriever. They are pretty close to the most forgiving dogs on the planet. Yet, that change was enough to freak the dog out.

So, since then, I've been hyper sensitive to environment changes.

No the window wasn't open just the blinds. But I often leave them open for him it was just really hot that day.

Today same thing. He was all green and on his pirch. I came in he puffed up.
I grabbed his food with the tweezers like I always do. He looked at me all pissed off. I put his food in and he didn't eat. Just turned darker and went to the bottom. Positioned himself in his bottom corner stared at me, not puffed but with his funny hand propped up.

At a loss here.
Is it common for them to go from nice to piss off lady?

Everytime it came to morning food he always always came to inspect, eat then walked over to the cage opening to climb out on me to come hang out.
These days appear to be over.

I would definately get a fecal done. Sounds as though he is not happy about something. You coud also try findind someone who has a female and see how he reacts to her, perhaps as earlier stated, he needs a mate. Do a fecal before even thinking bout showing him a female though, if hes got something he could pass it on. how clean do you keep the cage? Do you free range your food or cup feed?

Back
Top Bottom