Cham stolen during the shipping process?

To send you a picture of the bottom of a box and make pay pal claim against you is odd. What is their claim. You didn't send a chameleon? Or it was stolen on route. I don't even know how pay pal would handle that. As you the seller apparently sent out your goods.

Lance this beats my customer who send back chams that weren't cute. As well I we all know you, I would have to say you have been scammed. I would take a few steps, contact paypal & fed ex and explain the situation. Unlike some I have shipped (and will continue to) with fed ex, never ever seen this happen. Did the person happen to check the box in front of the fed ex person? I am sorry but I think your reputation will stand above the "person". I will be more than happy to write letters to anyone you need them to. I am really sorry some jerk was ethically challenged and is a complete sob to boot. Hope they have the kind of Christmas they have put on you.

It was my understanding that the purchaser stated they opened the top of the box and that there was no Cham. Then stated that the bottom of the box had possibly been opened and then resealed.... that is why the picture was sent to show what they thought had been a resealed box. I'm sure the police when they take this report will be wanting to see the box as well as any photos that were taken.

When ever I have used packing tape and it has sat on the box and then tried to remove it it will take the paper off the box. I don't see the paper being disturbed at all in the photo. If I were the purchaser I thought my Chams box had possibly been disturbed I would be at the Fed Ex hub were it was picked up and demanding the police to look into it.

I hope this is looked into by authorities because I do feel the truth will be told.

this is really upsettting. i feel bad for the cham and wonder if its ok and being taken care of :(

I am not sure if he checked the box in front of the FedEx person.
I did request a picture of what he claimed the part of the box that was tampered with. If I was a FedEx employee and wanted to steal something in a package, I would open the bottom of the box. This way, the shipping label isn't disturbed. The shipping label pretty much took up the entire top o the box.
But as the picture shows, i highly doubt that the package was opened before my customer got it.

Its definetly a no refund case!! Come on its a live animal we are talking, it moves and it would be hard to keep unoticed by a fed ex employee. On top of that the person stealing it would have to know how to keep him Have a cage with set up, food, or he would have to go after work to buy stuff for his new steal? Lol its sounds like stealing an invesment lol wich it lowers the posibility for an employee to steal it. In my opinion, if it was really stolen wich is not imposible. He should go to the end to get the refund and deal with a police report and all the other procedure. If he chickens out mid way (most likely to happen) then he has the chameleon. Its seriously shameful to be doing this type of thing, speacialy near holydays!:mad:
best of wishes for you! Hope that matter gets resolved :)

This time of year UPS and Fed Ex have massive employee theft problems. I worked in retail for 10 years and never went a year without at least one box getting nicked from. UPS or Fed Ex should be able to tell the police every employee who touched the package. That being said it could still just be a scam.

Sounds really sketchy as the guy filed the Paypal report behind your back as you were resolving the issue. If he had the intention of paying you for the goods, he wouldn't try to reclaim his money behind your back ASAP after telling you he never received the goods.

I really highly doubt a Fedex employee would snag a live reptile from a box without knowing exactly what reptile it is. I know I wouldn't want to open a reptile box with a poisonous snake in it! Any rational person would be weary of opening a box that says live reptile on it... Don't give the person a refund because I think this is a total scam. If he is a forum member you should post his screen name ;)

Sorry to hear of this Lance......

Lets review some FACTS...... He First claims you sent him nothing! & files with Pay Pal...... THEN,,, Sends you a pic of what he says is a tampered box? Did he file with Fed EX too????? I personally think that cham went to the home of a SKUNK!! You could show Pay Pal HE sent you a pic of a tampered box.. Yer off the hook...... Or did he send the photo to show the box wasnt tampered with?

hey i had a strok of geniouse dont they weigh the boxes???
he has the empty one weigh it!!

Thats a great thought! I just shipped a cham and my receipt has the weight of the box at drop off, so you can prove he was in there.

Sorry to hear about this scam Lance, some people are just pond scum!

Sadly, small chameleons weigh almost nothing....

But, it's worth a try.

Here's how I see it: he almost certainly took the photo before he opened the box because he would have, naturally, turned the box on its side and opened the easily accessible bottom. Going through the airbill is difficult (there's that pouch in addition to the paper).

I open Fed Ex packages all the time and I almost never go through the airbill pouch.

I don't know how to resolve this for you, but I think in the future, you might want to invest in some distinctive shipping tape so any sort of disturbance is noticeable.

From now on you can always tape a strip of paper along the bottom so that if someone tampers with it, they will have to cut through the paper. (like the shipping label on top sort of.) Or this:

http://www.uline.com/BL_3079/Securi...ricode=wr327&gclid=CLCK656ymK0CFQg1hwodswjGmg

On a side note, I've had a package (not animals, but clearly marked live insects) arrive looking like someone played soccer with it in a wet field then had their pet hippo chew on it.

It seems overwhelming thus far from all who have responded... No refund.
I appreciate everyones response.

For some clarification and update on earlier posts.
- I did request a pic of the box after the fact.
- I am not aware that he has made a claim with Fedex. He has not asked me to do so either.
- The cham was a 3 month old and I used a 7x7x6 box. The total weight is about one pound, so that is what I put on the box.

No new udates at this point. I didn't hear from him yesterday, nor did I hear anything from paypal or receive any phone calls from the police.

Per paypal, he has until Saturday to provide a police report to them. If paypal does not receive anything from him, paypal will close the case.

Pssh: I like the link you provided about the security tape. Definitely a great idea.

The box without the chameleon will weigh "about a pound" so that's not going to help.

Maybe you should initiate a claim with Fed Ex...I believe there is a standard $100 insurance included in your basic shipping fee. They'll investigate it, including wanting to examine the box and probably being in his home (where the presence of a young chameleon would be noteworthy). Let them be the heavies. Of course, if they paid up, you should use that money to refund him the price he paid.

i weigh bottles every shift before and after work, i can tell you if a quarter of a shot is gone that should be a definate way im sure they weigh things down to the gram. more grams more postage, there should be info with them in the computer.

my chams 16 grams and 3 months thats a very noticable amount on a postal scale it would be a usuable notion in your defence.

i weigh bottles every shift before and after work, i can tell you if a quarter of a shot is gone that should be a definate way im sure they weigh things down to the gram. more grams more postage, there should be info with them in the computer.

my chams 16 grams and 3 months thats a very noticable amount on a postal scale it would be a usuable notion in your defence.

Except that a) the initial posted weight was a guestimate and b) the person who will weigh the box now is the person suspected of the theft...so, he could just add the chameleon's weight back in...then the weight would look the same throughout the system.

Of course, if the box lost weight between check points that would be worthwhile info, but I strongly suspect Fed Ex establishes a weight on the box at the first center and never, ever considers that again during transport.

Back
Top Bottom