Cham passed away.

DEG77790

Hey guys. My cham passed away. I got him in august, and i came back today and he was dead... what happened to my poor baby??
He used to hang by the ceiling to get warm so did he just like get overheated and collapse or what?!??
nothing different has happened since i first got him.... ☹️☹️☹️

Attachments

• D7CFCAB4-EB0D-439B-846B-946A888B1931.jpeg
    D7CFCAB4-EB0D-439B-846B-946A888B1931.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 145
I bought him at petsmart and he’s had all kinds of odd things happen since I’ve owned him.... I’m actually shocked he lived this long.

Attachments

• 7FCD3FAE-87E8-4603-BE60-F2C27A50AFF6.jpeg
    7FCD3FAE-87E8-4603-BE60-F2C27A50AFF6.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 2BEC9912-9150-41FA-9C51-C8A3ABBA56A9.jpeg
    2BEC9912-9150-41FA-9C51-C8A3ABBA56A9.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 131
  • A748DC33-6B6A-4AAC-A6A8-36D37F05AC3F.jpeg
    A748DC33-6B6A-4AAC-A6A8-36D37F05AC3F.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 4A70B16C-820E-4DB3-B62E-28CD04871F03.jpeg
    4A70B16C-820E-4DB3-B62E-28CD04871F03.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 127
I did not. I just made sure he got more water & it went away...
When things go wrong like what you saw with the eye it means that something is wrong and needs attention. Chams are pretty specific in their husbandry needs. If one area is incorrect such as lighting or supplements this creates other issues in their bodies. They then show symptoms externally like the eyes issue, lack of appetite, sluggish and weak. This is your first sign that something is wrong and should be addressed before it progresses to them dying. This is why people told you in your eye thread that he needed a Vet.

I would suggest before you get another one to have a husbandry review to make sure you got the correct information and were providing the correct care.

I am so sorry for your loss ? but it is important to take care of issues once they are addressed.

Hey guys. My cham passed away. I got him in august, and i came back today and he was dead... what happened to my poor baby??
He used to hang by the ceiling to get warm so did he just like get overheated and collapse or what?!??
nothing different has happened since i first got him.... ☹☹☹
I am so sorry for your loss.

When things go wrong like what you saw with the eye it means that something is wrong and needs attention. Chams are pretty specific in their husbandry needs. If one area is incorrect such as lighting or supplements this creates other issues in their bodies. They then show symptoms externally like the eyes issue, lack of appetite, sluggish and weak. This is your first sign that something is wrong and should be addressed before it progresses to them dying. This is why people told you in your eye thread that he needed a Vet.

I would suggest before you get another one to have a husbandry review to make sure you got the correct information and were providing the correct care.
I don’t disagree. All the eye things and between his eyes were right when i got him. So i think i got a sick one from petsmart.

The only “issue” i had with him was the eye thing... and he had it when i got him! He never had any other crazy issues.

I don’t disagree. All the eye things and between his eyes were right when i got him. So i think i got a sick one from petsmart.
The only “issue” i had with him was the eye thing... and he had it when i got him! He never had any other crazy issues.

I am by no means saying it is your fault he died. You never asked for a husbandry review so I do not know what you were or were not providing. I am saying that when something goes wrong and you do nothing and do not seek out vet care this is an open invitation for additional issues and death with a chameleon.

The problem when you are new is that you do not know what is normal and what is not. So there may have been other things that were presenting but missed because you were new to the hobby and the species.

And like I said if you decide to get another one I would get a husbandry review so we can make sure you are providing what you need to so you don't have another bad outcome.

No, thank you! I followed and googled and researched and i feel like i had everything correct but I’m sure i missed something ☹️

Cage, misting system, cricket cage with cricket upkeep (food water crap), plants, humidity gauges, temp gauge, hand spray bottle, distilled water, the lamp and bulbs. Crickets and worms purchased from petsmart as well.

Attachments

• 8362B295-0F40-45ED-9082-0515E5BF591F.jpeg
    8362B295-0F40-45ED-9082-0515E5BF591F.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 237DB124-956F-44B5-BB61-9ACD5BFC7D99.jpeg
    237DB124-956F-44B5-BB61-9ACD5BFC7D99.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 04336BFC-B5DB-43F3-B680-842FC485947C.jpeg
    04336BFC-B5DB-43F3-B680-842FC485947C.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 7B840920-7D50-4284-8B7B-827A1FF6BB7E.jpeg
    7B840920-7D50-4284-8B7B-827A1FF6BB7E.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 80
Cage, misting system, cricket cage with cricket upkeep (food water crap), plants, humidity gauges, temp gauge, hand spray bottle, distilled water, the lamp and bulbs. Crickets and worms purchased from petsmart as well.
Ok soooooo down the rabbit hole we go. The cage is set up incorrectly. They talked you into the chameleon kit which if it is not set up just right and with buying extras the cham eventually dies.

I can tell you that the baby was not getting any UVB. Compact UVB bulbs have a curse to them. right on top of the bulb and they put out way too high of a uvi level and then anything farther then 4 inches away and they get no UVB at all. These should be switched out for a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb that runs the width of the enclosure.

Live plants that are Veiled safe for humidity and hiding areas and horizontal branches for proper access to uvb. then removing the carpet to easily clean the bottom and avoid bacteria growth.

If you were using the supplements that came with the kit these would have been fine as long as you were using them correctly calcium without d3 every feeding then 2 times a month the reptivite with D3.

Basically they sold you something that would eventually kill him without it being upgraded.... I wish you would have posted a thread asking for a review or someone would have told you about it. Then we could have really helped you. :(

That link I gave you will totally teach you everything. You will see reading through it where the husbandry issues were with the existing set up.

I am sorry for your loss. And if you are interested in staying in the hobby please let us help you.

Ok soooooo down the rabbit hole we go. The cage is set up incorrectly. They talked you into the chameleon kit which if it is not set up just right and with buying extras the cham eventually dies.

I can tell you that the baby was not getting any UVB. Compact UVB bulbs have a curse to them. right on top of the bulb and they put out way too high of a uvi level and then anything farther then 4 inches away and they get no UVB at all. These should be switched out for a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb that runs the width of the enclosure.

Live plants that are Veiled safe for humidity and hiding areas and horizontal branches for proper access to uvb. then removing the carpet to easily clean the bottom and avoid bacteria growth.

If you were using the supplements that came with the kit these would have been fine as long as you were using them correctly calcium without d3 every feeding then 2 times a month the reptivite with D3.

Basically they sold you something that would eventually kill him without it being upgraded.... I wish you would have posted a thread asking for a review or someone would have told you about it. Then we could have really helped you. :(

That link I gave you will totally teach you everything. You will see reading through it where the husbandry issues were with the existing set up.

I am sorry for your loss. And if you are interested in staying in the hobby please let us help you.
Also, it looks like this might have been in a classroom (not totally sure but looks like it by the wall and alarm.). What is your opinion on keeping chams in a classroom? Too stressful? I know husbandry was an issue here but could this have contributed?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom